Is It Safe To Give Dog Human Anti-histamines?

The grass in our back yard seems to be cause Gypsy a fair bit of skin irritation and she is always scratching.

A friend told me to get some Polarimine(sp?) from the chemist to give her. Is it ok to give that to her? Or would I be better off getting the proper anti-histamine for dogs from the vet?

Thanks

Stacey

ETA - Never mind, I did a search and found the answer!

Edited by StaceyB

Yes you can, there are different dossage rates, so just phone your Vet and ask what they are.

Unfortunately dogs don't react to them the same as we do, some dogs benefit from them and in others they do nothing for them.

It may not be the grass.

I'd reccomend popping her off to the Vet for an examination just in-case it's not the grass, it could be yeast or bacteria or fleas even if you can't see them on her and she does get flea preventative.

Edited by sas

Yes you can, there are different dossage rates, so just phone your Vet and ask what they are.

Unfortunately dogs don't react to them the same as we do, some dogs benefit from them and in others they do nothing for them.

It may not be the grass.

I'd reccomend popping her off to the Vet for an examination just in-case it's not the grass, it could be yeast or bacteria or fleas even if you can't see them on her and she does get flea preventative.

Good point about the other causes SAS, I just assumed it was the grass because she has only started scratching excessively since we moved and the new house has a different type of grass.

I know you have your answer StaceyB but if anyone searches in the future:

My girl came up in hive like lumps after playing in the weeds behind the shed and I only had claryntyne at home, rang the vet and he told me to give her (40kg) 2 claryntyne tablets and to watch her breathing - if it gets laboured take them in for a steriod shot.

My vet loves home remedies. Polaramine is fine, the lower dosage one, a whole tablet.

Have had a couple of dogs come up with lumps and bumps from time to time. Last week Ronin had a run in with some tree sap that he reacted to. polarimine, a wash in malaseb and a few hours and he was fine. :)

When I went to the Chemist to get some I told the girl behind the counter it was for the dog, and it turns out she used to work as a vet nurse! She was able to help me out with dosages and some other anti-histamines I could give to Gypsy if the Polaramine doesn't work. She really seemed to know what she was talking about and all the dosage info she gave me corresponded with the website Jaegertheweim posted.

Are phenergan and Polaramine the same thing?

After Sally got bitten by something a few weeks ago, and I gave her a telfast tablet, I decided I'd go buy some phenergan to keep in the cupboard. But, reading this, people use polaramine.

Wonder if I can take it back and change it over? They are only 10mg tablets.

Phenergan and Polaramine are different drugs but both are antihistamines. Most over the counter antihistamines are fine for dogs, I would probly use Phenergan over Polaramine for skin allergy, and Claratyne and Zyrtec are good as well. It is important to check dosages with your vet however most antihistamines require alot to overdose so a single tablet would usually be ok for any dog over 20kg, dose is more important for the smaller weight animals.

I used to have Polaramine - for myself and the dogs - no problems. Last year I asked my vet what would be a good OTC anti-histamine to have on hand for the dogs (Border Collies) and he recommended Phenergan in the 10mg dose.