Tryptophan

I was given a bottle of 'Canine Tranquil Formula' by Vetalogica from a friend today as she saw it in the chemist and thought it might be of help for Chelsea since she is really nervy/reactive after her attack.

Does anyone know about this supplement... is it safe to try? It contains a lot of vitamins (mostly B's) and Tryptophan.

On the bottle it says to administer daily, does this sound right, or is it usually used for specific situations?

We will be seeking help from a behaviouralist in a few months, but any assistance until then would be of great help!

I'd ask my vet for advice b4 giving anything designed for humans to the dogs- many things are fine, but others not.

Behaviourist would be my no.1 choice.

Would it be fair to say, the longer you leave it, the more ingrained any problems might become? (sorry don't know full story).

My dog was attacked at a young age requiring minor surgery at the vet's, but was 100% fine behaviour-wise. Is best to have a behaviourist to assess whether or not this is all related to the attack or not?

I'd ask my vet for advice b4 giving anything designed for humans to the dogs- many things are fine, but others not.

The Vetalogica range is for animals, not humans.

ChelseasMum can you let us know if it helps your dog, please.

Dante gets it when required. Usually he gets it before going to show training, obedience and shows to take the edge off a bit, he's a hyperactive dog coupled with some nerviousness chucked in for good measure.

I find it more effective than Rescue Remedy.

I'm not sure it's going to help a dog with more sevre issues such as being reactive after a dog attack, that's more the kind of thing you want to see a behaviourist about. No harm in trying it though.

You administer per the weight of the dog, check the labels. Dante gets 2 morning and night (63 kg's) on the days when I give it to him.

I have had a highly fear dog-argo dog before that I know this would not have worked for, he was on Beta Blockers and Prozac whilst we carried out Behaviour Modification training.

Edited by sas

Tryptophan is the precurser to serotonin, which moderates anxiety levels in the body. There are many natural sources, such as turkey as Kamuzz mentioned. In fact, Tryptophan is the reason why turkey is often referred to as making people sleepy or relaxed after eating a big meal of it.

Vitamin B6 is required to make the conversion to serotonin, so if you are supplementing with Tryptophan ensure that you also give adequate B6.

I have used Tryptophan supplementation (5-HTP capsules and dietary control) with some success on myself and on my dog Loki.

Dante gets it when required. Usually he gets it before going to show training, obedience and shows to take the edge off a bit, he's a hyperactive dog coupled with some nerviousness chucked in for good measure.

I find it more effective than Rescue Remedy.

I'm not sure it's going to help a dog with more sevre issues such as being reactive after a dog attack, that's more the kind of thing you want to see a behaviourist about. No harm in trying it though.

You administer per the weight of the dog, check the labels. Dante gets 2 morning and night (63 kg's) on the days when I give it to him.

I have had a highly fear dog-argo dog before that I know this would not have worked for, he was on Beta Blockers and Prozac whilst we carried out Behaviour Modification training.

Hi sas,

Do you just use it only on the day thats required or do you need to give it a day or 2 prior an event.

One of my guys gets "sooo" excited at training, he doesn't settle down till the end of the session.

Would it take effect a couple of hours before?

Tried rescue remedy, but honestly didn't see any change.

Cheers

Hi CM

Do you know which chemist your friend got it from??? Sounds interesting and I'd like to check it out for Lulu when she has her "troubles" :D

ETA: Nevermind, I found a store finder on their website :D

Edited by maya papaya

Turkey is a natural source of Tryptophan - they recommend this as a remedy for people with sleep issues.

Well as an insomniac sufferer I'm really pleased you posted this!!!! I'll give anything a go... though Valerian is great anyway.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm not sure how 'severe' Chelsea is right now, so I will give these a go and see if it has any effect on her...then I'll post here for those interested. I'd much rather start here than go straight for vet prescribed meds, but if a behaviourist recommends, then I will do so. We just can't get to our preferred person for a few months (husband needs to accrue some holiday leave so we can head east) so we have to do our best until then.

maya - my friend bought it from Friendlies Chemist

Edited by ChelseasMum