Diarrhoea

My sheltie has had a couple of recent bouts of diarrhoea - I think it has to do with some different foods I have been giving him that he's not used to...ie. lamb liver/beef/fish.

I fasted him for 24 hours, but was wondering what others give their dogs other than the steamed chicken/rice that vets recommend?

Also - has anyone used slippery elm powder?

Was it diarrhoea or just runny poo?

When my dogs have runny poo (nearly always caused by too much fat or too much of a new food), I usually fast them for a day, then start them off with smaller amounts of (raw) chicken with the skin removed...that's always worked for us.

I've never tried SEP, but have long intended to have some on hand - just haven't got around to it yet. I've heard it works really well by coating/soothing the digestive system...

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I've been raw feeding (Barf) for 3 years, but in recent weeks have altered to prey model diet...so my boy has gone through a few changes in meals. Maybe I've rushed it a little and need to give him more time to adjust.

I'll fast him today and then start him back on chicken frames with some Slippery Elm Powder and see if that helps.

Guest Tess32

Chicken wings or just some raw chicken breast is pretty easy to digest for them.

If it's only loose stools, I wouldn't even bother fasting, it's just a reaction to change for some.

We have slippery elm powder that we have used on both the dogs and ourselves - magical stuff!!

You can also get it in tablet form apparently - I would recommend this if using for yourself because the powder is foul :D Not that the dogs seem to care.

Red cordial, Slippery Elm powder I have used over the years, but mashed cooked pumpkin is always best IMO, fixes diarrohea - constipation, all tummy upsets, so long as it isnt something more sinister of course.

red cordial? How did you work that one out?

Discovered at Wagga Uni the fact that Rasberry cordial/rasberry juice kills a range of gastro "bugs".........it is the most common form of treatment in "Bali Belli" too :D

Edited by Cavandra

red cordial? How did you work that one out?

Discovered at Wagga Uni the fact that Rasberry cordial/rasberry juice kills a range of gastro "bugs".........it is the most common form of treatment in "Bali Belli" too :D

It has to be a minimum of 25% rasberry juice though. Not many fit the bill but Golden Circle rasberry does. Pig farmers and sick calf owners and the military have been using it for years for gastro complaints.

Edited by poodlefan

I have been led to believe that a lot of the American pro handlers

carry bottled lemon essence and give that.

Sorry have not been told the amounts, LOL, was told just tip the bottle

down their throat.

My dogs don't seem to ever get diarrhoea no matter what I throw at them (it's very nice).

But my plan of attack would be: fast 24hours, small amounts of chicken mince after that.

Chicken mince because: My dogs have most of their diet made of chicken (so it's the meat they're most used to) and because chicken mince is often mostly bone (which would act to clog them up a bit).

Hope you get it under control.

Chicken wings or just some raw chicken breast is pretty easy to digest for them.

If it's only loose stools, I wouldn't even bother fasting, it's just a reaction to change for some.

i agree with tess. when i switched to prey model i fed ted to much variety too soon and he got quite loose poo. i just fed chicken wings and other boney bits until his poo firmed up again. he still gets a bit soft if i feed too much meat with hardly any bone but i would hardly ever fast him (unless it was very severe diarrhoea and/or vomiting) it usually rights itself the next day

and wow about the red cordial!! i would never have thought that- learn something everyday.