How To Get Wrom Pills Into Puppy?

belznp

You could try putting it in cheese, and make the cheese into a ball, or into other yummy food.

I just open their mouth and pop it in :love: I always do it right before their dinner, so they get good stuff after. Diesel, who gets fish oil and evening primrose oil tablets every day and who goes on bouts of cortisone for allergies will open his mouth for you :laugh:

But having worked at vets and other places where you have to do difficult dogs, I don't let them get away with silly business in regards to getting pills.

get someone to help you hold him.. approach from behind.. put your hand over his muzzle, so that your thumb and fingers fold his top lips over the sharp teeth ;) tilt his head up a bit, and then with gentle pressure on the bottom jaw right at the front, his mouth should fall open :love: with the tablet coated in butter... and chilled in fridge so it doesn't melt... poke it as far down as you can... let him close his mouth..give him a treat :laugh:.

he needs to learn that you CAN and WILL open his mouth to do medications etc. You do not ask his permission :laugh:

Dont take forever.The longer you take the more reason the pup has to worry something different is about to happen

Just open mouth pop it in & blow.

Takes all of 5 secs.

If theyw ill eat it in there main dinner then go for that option

Guest KOJAK

Hi belznp

All good replys from the other members.

If you are still finding it difficult.

Put the Tablet on a board and crush it Then place the

crushed tablet in some mince and presto the dog has the mince

and has his worm tablet without any hassles, I find myself crushing all his

tablets it is another way of making sure it is working straight away

It is just another easy method and puts less stress on you and your puppy

Kojak

If all else fails get an experienced person to demonstrate and have a practice yourself. Once you have the technique it is usually not difficult and it makes things so much easier for future treatments. I am also a big believer in teaching pups to take tablets, probably because it is sometimes my hand in a strange dogs mouth :love: Seriously though it can reduce stress on both of you in the event of future illness if tableting is a known and non threatening event.

I like to do it how persephone suggested. My worry is that if you break it up and/or hide it in the food you have some uncertainty that they have taken it properly. I like to know for sure that they have had the correct dose and its gone where it should, not slipped out and gone under the fridge or something.

I like to do it how persephone suggested. My worry is that if you break it up and/or hide it in the food you have some uncertainty that they have taken it properly. I like to know for sure that they have had the correct dose and its gone where it should, not slipped out and gone under the fridge or something.

For tablets I know they will take I will just do it as part of their treats in training. For their fish oil and Ester C every morning we use this method with an 'open up' command.

They get their tablets just before food and know not to touch their dinner until they have had their tablets.

i think the easiest way to give dogs tablets is to hold their mouth open (may need a 2nd person)and put the tablet down as far as u can and shut the mouth and rub the throat!!

its not nice but sometimes works!!just be careful of the sharp puppy teeth tho

As everyone else has said, for the cats I crush with a spoon or knife and sprinkle over some mince and mix in well, or quick and easy for the dogs open their mouths, push tablet down back of throat with index finger and hold muzzel shut so they cant spit it out. All done in 2 seconds :)

The more you fuss around the more the dog carries on, do it quickly and firmly without a big deal made of it and its over before they know it.

depends on off i have cheese or devon etc to hide it in..if not i open up thier holes and down the throat..hold muzzle for a sec,rub throat to stimulate swallow reflex..and watch them for a minute to make sure they havent out smarted me lol!!

Is it ok if I split the tablet to say pieces of 4 and mix it in the meal?

Yes it is but you must make sure the entire dose is given at a single time so in other words make sure all the pieces are eaten.

To give my boys their tablets I have always had them sit and then I stand over them (from the back) and open their mouth. One hand holds the top half of the mouth while with the other hand I drop the tablet at the back of the tongue and then give it a quick push down the back of the throat. I then use that hand to bring up the bottom jaw and rub their throat with the "swallow" command.

If my boys don't play the game then I always told them I would get my brother to give their the tablet so they quickly swallow.

This was until I had trouble with the rottie one day and the tablet got a bit slimy. He was getting a 1/2 can of chum (he loves the stuff but only gets it once every few months as a clean out) so I took a little from his bowl and coated the tablet - he took it immediately to looked for more. After that I just coated it in something that he particularly loves. It just needs to be in something small enough that he will swallow immediately and not chew.