Grooming Dogs With Ringworm

Do you decline dogs with contagious things, Im my case its one dog who isnt treated for it, (Severe Ringworm I mean)

Im thinking I might ask them to treat it before bringing her back because I dont want to run the risk of my other clients dogs catching it.

And I do disinfect very thoroughly but I still worry about it.

What do you draw the line at?

Hell yes!

I wouldn't touch it - it's just not worth the risk and the owner should be cornered in to treating it.

A regular Lab of mine caught ringworm from his previous groomer (so to speak) which is why the owner switched. She also told quite a few people about 'her experience' with said groomer. Word of mouth can make or break you, so I wouldnt knowingly groom an infectious dog.

I agree with Clyde. If its a known case then I would not touch it. It is the owner responsibility to have it treated, and your resposibility to the other dogs in your care so just nicely explain to the owner the situation on why you cannot groom the dog for the time being :)

A bad rep will break you :)

Edited by BC

What Ari said. This dog could infect YOU!!! :)

Yes your right,

I was very careful last time and I havnt got it so I was lucky this time.

Thats another reason why cant risk it, I dont want my family or my pets getting it either.

I never let my kids near any dogs here to be groomed for this exact reason, incase they

do turn out to have something Im not aware of, assume the worst!

Any dogs that turns up with something suss we wont groom.It rarely happens but from the minute it enters your establishment its contagious,you need to scrub everything(blades,brushes,bath,towleswashing machine,yourself,crates etc plus inform other clients that a contagious dog came in & they need to seek vet treatment)

It costs you money & stress

I used to have a mobile grooming business. I once did a dog with ringworm (well I did him a few times while he had it). He was the last job of the day each time. I wore gloves, the truck and bath and grooming tools were all disinfected after he was done. His poor owner had so much trouble getting someone to do him, he was a Keeshond, and so she had trouble treating him with his coat and all. I never had a problem but thats not to say I couldnt have.