Bedding For Incontinent Dog

Hi

Í was wondering whether anyone could assist me in locating some dry bedding for a dog that has incontinence. I've been told that you can buy it over the net but so far no luck in finding it.

We are treating with medication but in the meantime we are going through quite a lot of bedding :eek:

Many thanks for your assitance

Might be more usefull to use something like doggy undies or a belly band on the dog then bedding.

If it's a female dog then doggy undies would do and if it's a male then a belly band would be the way to go. I would put some human incontance pads or sanitary pads into both. That way you can just chage the pads and not the undies or the bedding all the time.

I agree, the undies might be the most suitable option although I guess you would have to be careful of urine burn. We have a member who makes them to order and so you could ensure you get the correct size and fit.

Another DOLer said, in a thread I started, that she has some of the plastic backed picnic blankets for her dog. They still need to be washed everyday, but at least it stops the urine getting onto anything else.

Edited by StaceyB

We use mattress protector pads sold for human use. Kylie pads by Tyco. about 900mm square .. a highly absorbant material on top with a plastic sheet underneath. Washable.

Our girl wears pants too but she can't wear them 24/7 and is very much an indoor dog.

I'm looking for a similar thing - there could be a market here.

I'm going to look for (human) matress protectors for bed wetting children - there must be such a thing, and then try and modify it to go over the dog'd bedding (like a fitted sheet), then I can have a supply of washable top covers to go over it.

That's all I can think of.

The Wolf's Den who are one fo of the DOL advertisers stock vet bed.

If she's pretty incontinent she'd be better off on that than in undies - no urine burn. Vet bed is fully machine washable - get several pieces.

It's great to use as bedding anyway. :eek:

Wow, there are a lot of incontinent dogs at the moment. We should try and compare them and see if there are any similarities (sp).

Mine

Incontinent since: approx 11-12 months old.

Medication: Stilboestrol, but no longer having any effect

Personality: Hyperactive, anxious, sometimes fearful, dominant with other dogs.

Desexed: @ 8 weeks (she is a rescue)

Health: pretty good, but did suffer a few UTIs when she was younger but hasn't had one in ages. Also, she has a narrow pelvis and recessed vulva (not inverted, but qute recessed) according to the vet.

Other: She's always been a 'submissive urinator' as it's called, har to call her submissive as she's so dominant at times, but then she is anxious and fearful.

What about your dogs?

Wow, there are a lot of incontinent dogs at the moment. We should try and compare them and see if there are any similarities (sp).

Mine

Incontinent since: approx 11-12 months old.

Medication: Stilboestrol, but no longer having any effect

Personality: Hyperactive, anxious, sometimes fearful, dominant with other dogs.

Desexed: @ 8 weeks (she is a rescue)

Health: pretty good, but did suffer a few UTIs when she was younger but hasn't had one in ages. Also, she has a narrow pelvis and recessed vulva (not inverted, but qute recessed) according to the vet.

Other: She's always been a 'submissive urinator' as it's called, har to call her submissive as she's so dominant at times, but then she is anxious and fearful.

What about your dogs?

I think the early desexing is probably the key factor there. :eek:

Edited by poodlefan

Vet bed is superb for incomtience bedding.

There is a stockist in WA for the original stuff & will ship.(the Blue bed)

There are different kinds with different thickness & quality

Urine burns are awful on dogs so i too would caution the use on a do nappies

What state are you in as different states have different sellers

Edited by settrlvr

I got a baby matress protector (they were on sale at Lincraft for $10), (towelling top, waterproof under, fitted with elastic), which fits over my old girl's bed. Washes up well. Wouldn't be any good for large volumes though - my girl just leaks a bit when she's asleep.

I agree, the undies might be the most suitable option although I guess you would have to be careful of urine burn. We have a member who makes them to order and so you could ensure you get the correct size and fit.

If you made sure the undies were just like a childs nappy then why would there be urnine burn?

Is dogs urnine more acidic then humans? Or do humans suffer from urnie burn as well?

I agree, the undies might be the most suitable option although I guess

Is dogs urnine more acidic then humans? Or do humans suffer from urnie burn as well?

Urine burns people too. :thumbsup: It has a fair bit to do with the development of nappy rash.

Urine burns people too. :thumbsup: It has a fair bit to do with the development of nappy rash.

Ok. I don't have kids so am not up with all of the nappy stuff.

Ok. I don't have kids so am not up with all of the nappy stuff.

No kids here either. But have read some shocking stories about old folks homes and lack of care. :laugh: