Desexing Bitches On Heat

I have a rescue girl coming to me this week and have just been told she is on heat. Is it best to wait untill she goes off or can i do it now. I have had a bad experience desexing a bitch who was on heat before but she was a large girl and there could have been other factors contributing to that op. I know alot of vets wont desex them and out of the 4 vets where i go only 1 will do the procedure. Just looking to get some thoughts on this from other people.

Best waiting till she has finished if you can keep her safe in the mean time.

Bitches in season are more prone to uterine stump bleeds when in season as far as my knowledge goes.

Most Vets will advise to wait. WHy not give your Vet a call and ask them for their opinion seeing as how they will be doing the surgery.

i just got off the phone to my vet, i dropped off my 7yr old to be desexed, she came into season on the 25th Feb, it was a normal season and then came back in a week later, as far as i knew she has been out of season for 3 weeks or more and yet they said she was still in season so the op took twice as long and there was a lot of blood loss

Knowing that i wouldnt recommend getting a female desexed while in season but in a way i am glad i did it when i did as there is obviously something wierd happening with her.

Edited by aus_k9gsd

Best waiting till she has finished if you can keep her safe in the mean time.

Bitches in season are more prone to uterine stump bleeds when in season as far as my knowledge goes.

Most Vets will advise to wait. WHy not give your Vet a call and ask them for their opinion seeing as how they will be doing the surgery.

I have spoken to my vet and he said he would do it. I dont have any problems keeping her safe, i am just wanting to see what other peoples opinions on it are.

Where there is a case where a percentage of vets won't do a procedure at a certain time I would have to question why. I don't know the exact reasons but I suspect that pelvic congestion and swelling of tissues is a contributing factor. (Consider how they look from the outside at this time!!). Obviously some vets are happy to take the risk and some aren't.

I have spoken to my vet and he said he would do it. I dont have any problems keeping her safe, i am just wanting to see what other peoples opinions on it are.

If he says it is ok then I'd get it done. :rofl:

Where there is a case where a percentage of vets won't do a procedure at a certain time I would have to question why. I don't know the exact reasons but I suspect that pelvic congestion and swelling of tissues is a contributing factor. (Consider how they look from the outside at this time!!). Obviously some vets are happy to take the risk and some aren't.

Spot on for the reason for increased time and risk in surgery. Having said that about 10% of the surgeries we performed at one time were in season speys with a small increase in minor complications and no increase in major. If management of an in season bitch is at all problematic and you have confidence in the vet willing to do the spey I would just get it done. If not then wait minimum 3 weeks after the finish of the season before going ahead.

I have done it also with a smooth collie bitch, she was booked in anyway but came in 2 days before her appointment, I rang my vet and he was happy to go a head with the op, she came through fine and was back home that night.

Most vets are reluctant to do speys on dogs on heat as the uterus has an incresed blood supply, is swollen and generally more fragile.

For this reason it can take more skill and time to perform the operation and there is a risk of postoperative bleeding. Some vets charge more to reflect this.

Like most things it is a risk not a certainty.

If it is not a problem to wait until after the season, I would wait.

Thanks for everyones experiences and advice! My rescue dog arrived today, she is still bleeding but due to her poor condition (very underweight) i will be waiting untill the end of her season so then she will be much healthier before getting the op. Here is her pic and updates on her will be in the rescue section if anyone is interested :)

post-12106-1209117212.jpg

Thanks for everyones experiences and advice! My rescue dog arrived today, she is still bleeding but due to her poor condition (very underweight) i will be waiting untill the end of her season so then she will be much healthier before getting the op. Here is her pic and updates on her will be in the rescue section if anyone is interested :)

post-12106-1209117212.jpg

Poor Skinny gal, we have desexed a few pound dogs on heat with no issues to date..

I have a rescue girl coming to me this week and have just been told she is on heat. Is it best to wait untill she goes off or can i do it now. I have had a bad experience desexing a bitch who was on heat before but she was a large girl and there could have been other factors contributing to that op. I know alot of vets wont desex them and out of the 4 vets where i go only 1 will do the procedure. Just looking to get some thoughts on this from other people.

If you can, leave it for three months after she's come out of season. The surgery is then both easier for the vet and safer for the bitch, and there's a lot less chance of her developing post-op problems.

I would , I have and I would do so again. There is a slight increased risk of bleeding. Have not had any bitches suffer from complications.

same as warley ,large breeds are a lot more difficult though as there blood vessels are as thick as my finger.no different to doing a c-section.