Pups Milking Mum Dry...

Damon

Bella gave birth to 8 healthy pups on the 17th of April.

They're all gaining healthy weight, but are almost constantly feeding. I've tested her milk output, and they've almost drank the poor girl dry.

I started them on formula, but there's only 2 out of the 8 that love the bottle and will drink from it.

Any tips on getting the others to take the bottle?

This won't be their main source of milk, more of a 'top up' at night to keep them happy and on top of things.

If they are putting on a health weight I wouldn’t worry about topping them up. Just concentrate on make sure Mum has all she can eat to provide what the puppies need. Most of my girls don’t look like they are feeding and they generally only let down the milk in response to suckling

I agree that feeding the mum really well to boost her milk supply is the way to go, especially if the pups are gaining weight. I have a litter of 11 and did have to supplement feed some in the first few weeks. Some pups took to the bottle better than others, so I concentrated on the ones that liked the bottle and let mum feed the rest, just to help her out a bit.

I take it you are not in the breeder section because you don't own a prefix?

Anyway,are you giving her LOTS of water? Put her on Rapberry tea leaf in tablet form for good supply and uterine contractions for clearing out her system and bringing her milk down.Please try and keep them suckling as well as a top up IF really needed as the golden rule is..... The more they suckle the more she will produce.

Getting whelps onto a teat can be frustrating,if you aren't getting anywhere try gently syringing it off to the side of the mouth,some puppies will drink from a syringe also.Alternatively a dropper will work nicely.What is the supplement you are using?

Do please try and let her feed them naturally as a priority though.Give her calcium Sandoz if she is a bit thin or weak or just to help her along it is good stuff.

Edited by Delkerabo

The more you bottle feed, the less her milk supply will increase, so do so only as a last resort.

My last litter had to be bottle fed, mum had no milk. I would have to force them a little to start, and those who would not take the bottle got tube fed.

If you "test her milk supply" after there's been a puppy on there you will find there won't be much. The amount of milk you can draw out with your hand IS NOT the same as what a puppy can get from the teat. They have a sucking action designed to provoke let down reflexes where milk flows.

Baby pups do feed almost constantly - their requirement increases on a daily basis and their constant sucking keeps the milk supply up.

Quickest way to reduce the milk supply is to start supplement feeding simply because you reduce the demand.

If the pups are putting on weight daily, weeing and pooing, then you can assume they are getting enough.

Edited by blacklabrador

Hungry pups are noisy and restless, if they're content and gaining weight all is well. Milk is produced on a 'supply and demand' basis so the more the puppies suckle the more milk is produced. As BL says, squeezing a teat after a puppy has finished feeding tells you nothing.

Yep and then the OP comes back looking for more help and advice. No wonder so many people feel jaded and wary of helping people. *sigh*

But if the OP would really like to help the pups I suggest Fenuegreek Powder added to the food. One heaped tespoon per meal. This can be obtained from some supermarkets or from and Indian Spice shop often they also hire out Indian Videos/DVD's. Fenuegreek is well recognozed as increasing milk supply.

Thanks to those who have offered advice, and to those whinging, please feel free to not bother posting if you don't have anything nice to say :confused:

The formula I 'was' using is Divetelact (sp?). She has a constant supply of puppy food, and constant water. No problems with food or water intake. Also plenty of red meat for iron.

The puppies are still gaining healthy weight, and only make noise when Bella accidentally steps on one :mad As long as they keep gaining, I'll lay off the formula, but it's there IF I need it.

To address the other issues, no, I'm not a breeder. Yes, she was getting desexed. Yes, it was a mistake not getting her done. There were other issues going on and it took a back seat in the priorities. Yes, nature took it's course, and she fell pregnant.

However, if ONE of you should think less of me because that happened, then you know where to shove it. I give my dogs as much love and affection as they can handle, and are members of my family. Just because I don't have a breeders prefix, doesn't mean I'm any less of a dog owner. All the puppies will still be going to loving homes, and I'll be screening prospective owners. I am WELL AWARE that puppies are not a money making exercise, and they were never meant to be. There's a lot of people on their high horse in this forum, you know who you are. Just because someone isn't registered, it doesn't mean you still can't offer support through advice when someone wants the best for their pets.

If you have anything nasty to contribute to this thread, please us the PM feature, and stop wasting peoples time by posting irrelevant crap in here.

For those that continue to offer advice, thank you in advance.

i have hand raised a few puppies in my time (11 at once one time) i used di-vetelact but found the puppy bottle no good.....try useing a baby bottle :thumbsup: worked a treat for me.

Edited by sugclasco