Problems With My Dog's Ears?

happie

I see my dog scratching and rubbing her ears sometimes and I saw browny wax inside. So I thought she had ear mites and I got her some ear mite drops. Today I put the drops in her ears and she got really upset and stopped wanting to play or eat treats and even stopped following me. I got worried and thought maybe she had an adverse reaction to the ear drops and I took her to the vet. The vet looked inside her ears and said she didnt have mites and her ears are ok. So apparently she was just sulking over me putting the drops in her ears. When I asked the vet about her ear scratching the vet said it could be a fungal infection but she didnt do any tests to confirm it. She just gave me a bottle of drops for fungus. I dont know if I should use it on my dog or not because theres no evidence of a fungal infection. I feel really bad for using the drops on her and she was upset all day and even scared/avoiding me!

hi

So apparently she was just sulking over me putting the drops in her ears.

:( dogs don't really 'sulk'

the drops may have stung her ears..or felt cold....

If the vet gave drops, then use them ,and see if things improve.

A tip... run the tip of the (plastic?) drop bottle under hot water for a minute before using the drops..this warms the liquid as it comes thru :laugh:

She was definitely scared of me after I put the drops in her ears. She normally doesnt like being touched around the ears so me putting liquid in her ears really upset her. And it just totally changed her behaviour and she wasnt her happy self. So I would say that she was sulking... Ill try warming it next time.

Can someone else please advise if should I use the drops for fungus if my dog may not even have an infection? The vet charged me $30 for a 5 min consultation and only cleaned out one ear after I asked her to show me how to clean it. She gave me the fungus drops without even checking if my dog has an infection. She just said "white dogs tend to have fungal infections in their ears"

What are the name of the drops?

I noticed in another thread you said your dog is also a little itchy all over.

Its not uncommon for dogs with itchy skin and ears to get bacterial infections in their ears.

The drops you received from the vet will most likely be antibacterial also, so I suggest you use them for the length of time directed.

Dogs don't always like having drops put in their ears. Just make sure you only put the directed amount in and give it a nice massage at the base of the ear afterwards. A treat after each treatment might make it more enjoyable too..

Edited by stormie

Its called Dermotic ear and skin suspension.

I see my dog scratching at her ears and rubbing them with her paws a bit. Mainly just scratching at her ears more than anywhere else. Ive only had her for a week so Im still observing her.

Ill try the drops and see if they help. Problem is she doesnt even want any treats after I give her the drops! She gets scared and starts trying to hide from me.

Dermotic is quite safe to use even if there is no bacterial or fungal infection.

Is there any sort of bad smell coming from the ears?

If there ears are a little sore inside, it may be a little uncomfortable for her to have the drops to start with because the skin inside might be a little damaged.

Doesn't sound like you were overly happy with the vet consult, maybe when you go back again ask them to explain things better, or look at going somewhere else where they might be more helpful.

Yeah I dont think I will be going back there. The vet could have at least cleaned out the other ear but she just told me to go home and try doing it myself :S This was after I asked her to show me how to clean them. She was going to send me home having charged $30 just take a 5 second look inside my dog's ears.

Theres a bunch of small hairs inside the ears with some wax I think but its much cleaner after the flush and massage. Not smelly or sore. Normal pinky colour. Just scratching and rubbing sometimes.

I just dont want her building up a resistance to the fungal drops... if that would happen? I dont know should the vet have taken a swab and checked it out for an infection? She told me if my dog is still scratching after the fungal drops then it could be a bacterial infection and told me to go back and see her in that case. Shouldnt she just have taken a test and found out what infection there really is instead of shoving me with some fungal drops?

Edited by happie

The vet could have done a test, but remember, they see things like this every day so they do get to know what looks/smell right or wrong.

Generally, resistance is built up when people do not carry through with the full course of treatment, which gives any remaining bacteria an opportunity to build resistance. So continue the Dermotic for the full period you were told, then maybe give your vet a telephone call to let her know how its going. Some vets like to try something simple and cheap the first time to save you money, particularly if they think they have a fair idea what the problem is. If the problem doesn't clear up, then maybe you can both look at doing further tests to get to the bottom of it.

I think $30 is not too bad. I know you say you weren't there for long, but most consultations these days are $50-$70, and I think that its reasonable that the vet charge something for her time.

the vet knew what it was when she saw the dog's ears.

To do tests to confirm the vet's diagnosis would probably cost another $100.00. If you want a test done, go back and ask for it, but expect to pay. why not put the drops in the ears for the time the vet suggested, and if it doesn't work, then go back and spend $100 on a test?

Sound as if your vet acted very ethically, and with the dog's best interests in mind.

Sound as if your vet acted very ethically, and with the dog's best interests in mind.

Well the vet could have at least cleaned the other ear. My dog was struggling and she just didnt want to deal with that. And she only gave me the drops because I asked for it. So I dont think she had any interest in my dog.

Im still seeing her scratching her ears so I will use the drops and see how I go.

Stop worrying about the dogs behaviour. Use the drops as directed, Dermotic can even be wiped around the skin on the ear as well. If the dog was not handling the vet well then she probably didnt want to push the point with the dog, you can clean it yourself. Get the drops, massage them into the ear and wipe the excess with a tissue.

Dont use ear mite drops, canker drops or cleaners if there is a lot of hair down the canal or just because. You can create infections. Yes most of the dogs we see have the same problem, yeasts making a stink in the ear canal.

Take a look at the dogs diet, make sure you are feeding a good quality dry food (something like Royal Canin, Eagle Pack, Advance etc) and some fresh food as well. You can get skin formulas or if the whole skin over the dog is not looking too good try some natural therapies for skin.

Theres a bunch of small hairs inside the ears with some wax

You need to pluck these hairs from the ears, using ear powder will help.

Hi Miranda,

Sorry all for going a off topic :) ,

But what is the best way to pluck the dogs ear hairs and how does the

ear powder work?

Cheers

Ive started using the drops for fungi. Im onto day two and my dog goes into hiding after I do her ears. I feel like its affect my relationship with my dog but still I have to do it for her good. Im not sure if theyre working because I her ears are still itchy sometimes.

How long should I massage her ears for after I give the drops? And I see a few bits of black dots in her ears. Any idea what they are?

Happie, sometimes you will have to do things that you dog does not like and may even be a little fearful of. However, it is your job as the owner to keep your dog healthy and well behaved. Cleaning ears, clipping nails, brushing and combing and basic obedience are all things that your dog needs to have happen. You need to be firm but kind. A reward can be a pat and your voice - it does not have to be food. Your dog will respect you and seek affection from you if you are its leader. Sometimes little dogs can be tyrants - you should be in control not the dog.

Good luck with the ears - my poodles love getting their ears cleaned - they like the massage part - but they had to learn this.

Hi Happie, My elderly Female Aussie Terrier x had very similar problems with her ear for about a month. I took her to the vet & they also diagnosed her with a fungal infection & prescribed us with the same ear drops, however she didn't seem to be improving & it looked to be getting worse. We had her booked in to get some dental work done, so while she was under the anaesthetic they decided to investigate her ear again & also give it a good flushing out.

Well what they did find was a nasty grass seed embedded deeply in her ear. This had been the source of her ear problem all along (not a fungal infection ) & must have been driving the poor thing crazy. She seemed so much happier after this was removed. :(

Maybe if your dog doesn't improve in a week or so, you might want to bring it back to the vet & ask if it could be a grass seed.

Good luck :)

Edited by Baileys mum

Its day four of the ear drops and Im still seeing my dog scratch and rub her ears. The vet said to go back if the drops werent working after 3 days. But on the bottle it says to use for 5-7 days so I thought I might use it for the whole 5 days and see if theres any improvement. I think shes scratching less but I cant be sure. The fur on her ears are a mess because of the ear drops. I dont know how they get onto her ears but the fur is all oily. Shes still doing her "act". Im pretty sure no amount of hugs, treats or ear massage is going to get her to like it!

Bailey's mum, How did they find the grass seed in your dogs ear? And how did they get it out?

Happie have you removed the hair that is growing inside the ears? It is very important that you do this or your dog may suffer ongoing problems. The hairs accumulate wax and debris and restrict air flow making the ears an ideal environment for fungal and bacterial infections to flourish. You will also probably find that the hairs are making it more difficult to administer the drops and that the solution is adhering to the hairs and possibly making the problem worse.

If you haven't already done so pluck the hair from the ears as soon as possible, the fact that the dog objects is irrelevant, there are some things that must be done to keep dog's healthy and keeping the ears clean and free of hair is one of them.

Its day four of the ear drops and Im still seeing my dog scratch and rub her ears. The vet said to go back if the drops werent working after 3 days. But on the bottle it says to use for 5-7 days so I thought I might use it for the whole 5 days and see if theres any improvement. I think shes scratching less but I cant be sure. The fur on her ears are a mess because of the ear drops. I dont know how they get onto her ears but the fur is all oily. Shes still doing her "act". Im pretty sure no amount of hugs, treats or ear massage is going to get her to like it!

Bailey's mum, How did they find the grass seed in your dogs ear? And how did they get it out?

Hi Happie, I'm not too sure of the details but they where able to investigate more intensly into her ear canal when she was under the anaesthetic, & where able to spot it & remove it some how, I know they flushed her ear out aswell. They gave it to us in a small container, it was such a nasty looking thing & had turned black, so it must have been in there for a while. The vet said that we probably would have been irritating her even more when we where massaging the ear drops in as we would have been moving the grass seed around everytime we massaged her ear & as you can imagine it would have been quite painful. :laugh:

She was such a happy girl once it was gone. :(

If you dog doesn't start improving soon it would be worth mentioning it to your vet anyway. I'm sure they will be able to explain the procedure to you if they think it is worth investigating.

Good luck :laugh: