Stain Removal From White Coat

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a way to remove brownish coloured stains from my white short coated show dogs!

Are there any products that will remove the stains from the coat without damaging the dogs skin?

I currently use Equinade Shampoo as my show preperation shampoo, and St Francis Lavender and Rosemary brand for my normal shampoo.

I just can't get the stains out of the coat, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Shazz

Try bicarbonate of soda, mix it with enough water to form a paste and leave on the affected coat for 15 minutes, then wash out. Something I learned from an English Setter breeder in the US, although I've never tried it myself.

Thankyou so much for your help everyone.

I'm baffled as to what the stains are from, they are on the dogs top line and on the outide of the dogs back legs.

It's like at rusty coloured stain, almost like red spots thru the coat.

I have changed onto a raw diet of chicken frames, and flaxseed oil capsules every day as well as some pet vite for extra nutrients.

My dogs are regularly advantaged and are on sentinal spectrum also.

I'm pulling my hair out as I have no idea as to what the stains are from, therefore have no idea of how to prevents them from happening.

I have one dog that is so badly covered in the stains over the majority of his body that I cannot show him in his present state!!

Shazz

Do you feed kangaroo??Beef can aslo do the same

I found this sent my english orange all over the place.It took about 4 months for it to get out of his coat.

You may also find saliva.Do the other dogs mouth in those areas??

"Try bicarbonate of soda, mix it with enough water to form a paste and leave on the affected coat for 15 minutes"

It does work BUT it can dry the coat so if you use this method do so mid week & make sure you usea GOOD shampo/conditioner afterwards.

I changed from Bonnie working dog to the chicken frames about 6 weeks ago.

My dogs don't get any beef or roo etc any more, only the chicken frames!

It seems to be taking forever to get there coats back to being white, if it was the dry they were on.

My dogs are seperated into there own runs and cannot mouth each other at all either.

I have no idea as to what it is, or why they have come out in the stains.

I have a fantastic specimen out in a run and I cannot show him due to the condition of his coat!!

I'm at my witts end trying to get them ready for a specialty show.

I am going to try the bi carb, and then the sards soap.

Thanks

Shazz

From my understanding, it takes a minimum of 6 weeks for a change in diet to have any effect on coats. Therefore it may still take more time and patience. I hope your dogs are back to being white soon. I also find that regular bathing helps, my girls whites if they haven't been bathed regularly discolour, it takes a few serious baths to get their whites back to white.

I changed from Bonnie working dog to the chicken frames about 6 weeks ago.

My dogs don't get any beef or roo etc any more, only the chicken frames!

It seems to be taking forever to get there coats back to being white, if it was the dry they were on.

My dogs are seperated into there own runs and cannot mouth each other at all either.

I have no idea as to what it is, or why they have come out in the stains.

I have a fantastic specimen out in a run and I cannot show him due to the condition of his coat!!

I'm at my witts end trying to get them ready for a specialty show.

I am going to try the bi carb, and then the sards soap.

Thanks

Shazz

Hi Shazz,

There is a super product on the market specifically for whitening horses' tails made by Champion Tails who produce a whole range of whitening/washing products for show horses. If you go to your local Horseland or Saddleworld, they'll be able to advise you. The particular one I used on my grey was in powder form which you added to warm water before applying. The stronger you make the mixture, the more it will strip stains out. It truly is fabulous stuff and will turn the grottiest manure and mud stained tail brilliant white... :o but be warned, it has a tendency to dry coats so use plenty of top quality conditioner afterwards. :) They also make a great shampoo for white/grey coats which I can highly recommend for regular washing and while I am sure it would be safe to use on dogs, I'd ask, just to be safe.

Good luck and please, keep us posted.

w2s

Edited by woody2shoes

We use:

Laser Lites

http://www.laserlites.com.au/c41a.shtml

1) Dab on to affected area 5 minutes before bath

2) Include in the shampoo

You can also use overnight, I think it has 4 different methods listed.

We then use the Pure Glow White Horse Shampoo, leave on I think for 10 minutes, making sure you get a lather going.

On show day, we use loose chalk with a chalk brush and a chalk block going against the growth of the hair, then brush out so it doesn't come off on the Judges hands or clothing but leaves enough in there to do its' job.

Different people have different opinions about using chalk pre-show, so not making judgements here, just letting you know what we personaly do.

Any of these do work, depends on the stain/coat type though I spose as to what works best.

Sards wonder soap

Champion Tail stain remover (silver highlight) -horse product

Laserlites no more stains

Lemon juice