Barf Patties

Tiggy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the boxes are huge

They are suppose to be selling rabbit as well now, in replace of the roo.

The roo is to become like a prescription diet, so Im guessing the price of the roo will go up.

Why not make your own? It really doesn't take much time and if you're only feeding a couple of dogs you can make a big batch and freeze it.

I feed a few dogs and make a big batch every second night on average (they get RMBs the other night) and it takes about 10-15 minutes to make up enough to feed 10 dogs.

Why not make your own? It really doesn't take much time and if you're only feeding a couple of dogs you can make a big batch and freeze it.

I feed a few dogs and make a big batch every second night on average (they get RMBs the other night) and it takes about 10-15 minutes to make up enough to feed 10 dogs.

Hey trisven13.

If I do a search, will I find the recipe?

Do you follow a particular recipe or just do your own?

I have to feed 5 guys and usually only use them for the older girl (15) as she has problems

with bones, hard kibble etc.

My other guys love them though.

Cheers

I borrowed a friend's Billinghurst books and also read the book by Kymythy Someone (wish I could remember her name) and just made it all up from there. I add different things on different days and it is fed alongside their RMBs.

I borrowed a friend's Billinghurst books and also read the book by Kymythy Someone (wish I could remember her name) and just made it all up from there. I add different things on different days and it is fed alongside their RMBs.

Kymythy Schultze Trisven. :) Her book is Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats. My recipe is on here if you search for Poodlefan + BARF . There are a heap of recipes in one of the BARF threads

I think the BARF patties are too expensive. :(

Edited by poodlefan

here it is

Poodlefan’s BARF Veggie Mix

I based this on Dr B's recipe for veggie patties in GYPWB. Lets see if I can explain it like a cook book does!

Ingredients

1 small container of yogurt

2 tablespoons of flax seed oil

2 kg of mixed fruit and veggies (I use some root veggies, some fruit and some green veggies in every mix)

1 kg full fat beef mince

1 large piece of liver or a few kidneys

Optional: Any nutritional supplement as per directions eg. Missing Link, Green Pet

Method

1. Add yogurt, flax seed oil and supplement to a large container (I use a 20 litre bucket) and blend well

2. Add the mince and mix well .

3. Juice a little of the fruit and veggies. Add some of the juice to a blender and blend the offal until smooth. Resist urge to smell mix – you will regret it. Try not to vomit at result’s appearance and add to main ingredients.

4. Run the rest of the fruit and veggies through the juicer or blender. Add all the pulp to the mix and enough juice to obtain a firm but not sloppy consistency. You should end up with about 30% mince mix and the rest is veggies.

5. Put into storage containers and freeze.

I find this mix feeds 5 mini poodles for 5 meals. My mix is evolving over time. I’ve used other additives like Power Blend, Barley Grass Power, Brewers Yeast, Vitamin C – I just change them from time to time.

My large dog owning friends do all the stages from 1 to 3 and then freeze the mix, juicing fresh veggies separately to add to it. This cuts down on freezer space and the time taken to make the mix. I add one or two eggs to the thawed mix, blend them through and feed.

If you find your dog is not accepting the mix, add a little more fresh mince to their feed and slowly reduce the amount of mince they receive.

What happened! They're not patties anymore, they come in little plastic pockets you have to cut open and squeeze out which is really messy. :cheer:

Eww sounds feral. The patties are pretty feral but I can't imagine squeezing it out of a packet. Will have to get in contact with one of the ladies I pug sit for as she only feed the patties and chicken necks.

I would make your own.

I bake my own BARF veggie & fruit slops and have a roatating meat selection I will add to the meals every night.

If anyone wants my method feel free to PM me.

I like the sound of the rabbit ones.

I actually like the idea of having them in a packet, because I get the frozen patty and put it in a bag to defrost anyway, Kyzer doesn't eat a whole patty in one sitting. It would probably just save my bag costs :cheer:

Are the prices still the same? $18 RRP?

i currently buy the cat BARF patties in the plastic bag, i never found it messy as they are always frozen when I buy them, so it takes alot of banging sometimes to seperate them so they are easier to feed later..

I generally buy them, place some in the freezer and then the next 3 days worth of food are seperated up and placed in plastic containers, each patty seperated with a sheet of baking paper so they dont stick together and become a mess to break up. Then I place 1 container in the freezer and 2 in the fridge (one container holds 3 patties) once one of the containers is emptied, i bring out the frozen one to defrost and place more patties in the used container and place it in the freezer (after sanitizing it) and continue this process.

Edited by kyliegirl

i currently buy the cat BARF patties in the plastic bag, i never found it messy as they are always frozen when I buy them, so it takes alot of banging sometimes to seperate them so they are easier to feed later..

I generally buy them, place some in the freezer and then the next 3 days worth of food are seperated up and placed in plastic containers, each patty seperated with a sheet of baking paper so they dont stick together and become a mess to break up. Then I place 1 container in the freezer and 2 in the fridge (one container holds 3 patties) once one of the containers is emptied, i bring out the frozen one to defrost and place more patties in the used container and place it in the freezer (after sanitizing it) and continue this process.

They are changing them from that style of packaging (hamburger) to separate individual pouches, so you have to unwrap each individually.

It was easier to bang them apart, well it was for me as my guys liked them frozen. :cheer:

Kymythy Schultze Trisven. :( Her book is Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats. My recipe is on here if you search for Poodlefan + BARF . There are a heap of recipes in one of the BARF threads

I think the BARF patties are too expensive. :o

I use yours PF :)

What happened! They're not patties anymore, they come in little plastic pockets you have to cut open and squeeze out which is really messy. :o

If they are frozen don't they just pop out in one go - they would only be messy if you defrosted them in the packet by the looks of it.