Desexing Inplant

I read about this on DOL and told a mate of mine about it he doesnt want the dog permanently desexed but his wife does so they thought theyd compromise and get the inplant put in and see how it goes. Anyways they rang their vet and they say they dont do it they only approve of surgical castration. So I rang my vet and they said exactly the same thing, they dont approve of it and its not in general use in the veterinary community in Australia. They only do surgical desexing because its permanent and the inplants are just a tempory measure. They were quite rude about it they say that all dogs should be permanently desexed.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yep, and I found its generally the answer that the vet nurse will give until you give them a reason why you want to go for temp desexing instead of surgical

I found that when I talked to the actual vet their responce was alot more helpful

Recommended it to a customer whose 9 mth old pup was being dangerously dog aggressive (bullarab breeding) as it has the reputation of being able to make dogs even quieter than surgical castration. The vet hadn't used it, but was perfectly happy to order it in and read up on it :thumbsup: No problems at all.

The implant basically saved the life of the dog's sister, who he was trying to kill at every opportunity. The owner ended up having him surgically desexed later once he saw how much difference it made to his temperament.

Yes, it is called chemical castration.

I talked to the vet about it. The quote I got is about $180, and it lasts for a year. You can repeat it every year if you want, but once you stop dog should be fertile again after about a year.

Warning, not many vets would do this, hell some don't even know about it.

Cheers

I will never use it on my dogs.

I think you will find in states/council areas where "pet dogs" are legally meant to be sterilised they will only do the surgical sterilisation, especially in the breed/xbreeds that legally, have to sterilised as well.

Tell him to contact Monash Vet Clinic, they are happy to do the implants, I was discussing them with one of the vets the other day.

And no I'm not intending to use an implant on any of my dogs :rainbowbridge:

my vets are using it now ,still prefer to surgically do them though.it is good for blokes that NEED to have balls on their dogs to mainatain (the blokes! )manly image :laugh: as at least the dog cant reproduce at least for a while.if it stops more males roaming around pro creating-i dont care how they do it,surgical or chemical.

He rang monash last night and they said $90 for the 6 monthe one and the 12 month one was about $10 more so about $100 and then the cost of the consultation.Monash is a fair drive from where he lives so hed like to get somewhere nearer but if he carnt I guess monash will be the go.

Thanks everyone :laugh:

My boy has a 6mth implant in now and the other 6 mths is waiting at the vets, his testicles have shrunk to half the size they were he is a different dog and it cost me $120 for 12mths.

My boy has a 6mth implant in now and the other 6 mths is waiting at the vets, his testicles have shrunk to half the size they were he is a different dog and it cost me $120 for 12mths.

How old is your dog and what behavioural changes did you see?