Groomers! Are You Sick Of Clueless Clients

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont mind notes for even common breeds... if there is a particular way that the parents want their dog groomed better they tell me than me so i dont go and do my own thing and be wrong. I dont mind them and pics are even better if there is a very specific look their going for. As long as the dog isnt in bad condition im happy to do special requests but notsabouy nails cut and ear plucked i could do without!

Geez, some of you guys really need to relax :)

It's a hair cut - who cares how the owner wants it done, it's their dog. I love it when new owners bring in a check list of how they want it, if it's doable I'll style the dog in to a porcupine if that's what they want. They are the customer and pay to put food on our tables. I think alot of people forget that. Grooming is a fast growing industry. I believe one day we will have to really hang on to our good clients as the competition will be immense once proper training comes through.

Nothing I can't stand more is when I want my hair cut and the hairdresser does it to her specs and not mine :rofl:

I agree it's nice to see our pure breds in proper styles but it's becoming far less common as our lifestyles are getting busier. I grimace clipping off a regular little Bichons face :rofl: but I'd prefer that than have the dog matted or tick riddled and for the owner to find caring for their dog more manageable. :rofl:

Geez, some of you guys really need to relax :)

It's a hair cut - who cares how the owner wants it done, it's their dog. TROUBLE IS, THEY THEN BLAME ME IF IT'S NOT HOW THEY IMAGINED. I love it when new owners bring in a check list of how they want it, if it's doable I'll style the dog in to a porcupine if that's what they want. They are the customer and pay to put food on our tables. THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD IS HOW RUDE CLIENTS TREAT YOU BADLY NOT ABOUT COMPLYING WITH REQUESTS. I think alot of people forget that. Grooming is a fast growing industry. I believe one day we will have to really hang on to our good clients as the competition will be immense once proper training comes through. DON'T NEED TO HANG ON TO GOOD CLIENTS, THEY ARE HAPPY TO STAY. BUT YOU'RE WELCOME TO ALL THE RUDE ONES.

Nothing I can't stand more is when I want my hair cut and the hairdresser does it to her specs and not mine :rofl:

I agree it's nice to see our pure breds in proper styles but it's becoming far less common as our lifestyles are getting busier. NO ONE IS EXPECTING PROPER STYLES, I'M ASKING NOT TO BE TREATED LIKE AN IDIOT. I grimace clipping off a regular little Bichons face :rofl: but I'd prefer that than have the dog matted or tick riddled and for the owner to find caring for their dog more manageable. AGAIN, NO ONE HAS A PROBLEM WITH CLIPPING IN ANY STYLE, JUST SICK OF BEING ASKED FOR THE IMPOSSIBLE, RUDELY. . :rofl:

my apologies for the capitals, not shouting, just needed to make my comments stand out from yours. Thanks!

I dont mind notes as long as they make sense. Normally when I get notes though its the husband bringing the note and the wife has written the note. Most of the time it makes no sense. It might have "short body, long legs" with no defination of what short is and what long is. When pushed to explain what they actually mean (as I know the body is normally left an inch long)....it means groom it like I normally do :rofl:

Exactly! I hate notes that tell me in detail what i would already have done automatically. You ask "same as last time?" and you get a note with a list on it, that in actuality is "the same as last time". With some clients i really believe they do this to be superior. Like i don't know to do his nails? Haven't i cut his nails every two months for the last 5 years? Don't you get a written report stating his nails were cut? Then Why do you need to tell me to do it?

Well now I'm equally as pissed as you are. Just had a customer call to cancel her appoint 5 minutes before the appointment time. God at the very least cancel in the morning so I can try to get someone else in to fill that spot. Do people not realise that they are taking money directly from your pay packet when they book (and therefore you turn others down) and then dont show. Do they not realise or do they not care? I'd never ever do that to anyone be they hairdresser, doctor, etc

Well now I'm equally as pissed as you are. Just had a customer call to cancel her appoint 5 minutes before the appointment time. God at the very least cancel in the morning so I can try to get someone else in to fill that spot. Do people not realise that they are taking money directly from your pay packet when they book (and therefore you turn others down) and then dont show. Do they not realise or do they not care? I'd never ever do that to anyone be they hairdresser, doctor, etc

My vet nurse friend and my vet friend, both in different surgeries, often talk about this. We decided they just don't care.

Vets and Doctors should charge a cancellation fee. If more of those "big" companies started doing it it would filter down to us little guys too. My customers get to do it once (for non emergency) and after that they dont get any appointments.

Makes me wish I made everyone come in at 9am.

Well I'm glad i'm not the only one. Somethings we see are very sad, the worst case I had was a very old matted poodle that when we finally got the hair off that was matted over the eyes we found that it's eyes had rotted away (nothing left there except pus) I don't understand how this dog was still alive. The dog had been picked up by someone else from the elderly owner and brought to us. The smell was undescribable, we rang the RSPCA 3 times but no one turned up. We rang the police and asked could they check on the old lady (if the dog was like this who knows about the owner) We were told the dog had to go back and the police took it with them, when we tried to find out what happened we couldn't get any more info. The poor old poodle was so sweet even with everything it took to get the coat off, not to mention the sores etc. I still tear up when I think about it and that was about 8 years ago (somethings you can't forget). :rolleyes:

As for getting the blame for things it's not just the owners that blame groomers I have heard vets I was working with blame other groomers for things and I have had to say something to the vet as some of these cases were clearly not the groomers fault. :dropjaw:

Okay, here's one from the other side:

Me to groomer: do not cut his fall, his hair is supposed to be over his eyes.

Groomer: Okay.

I arrive back: my dog looks like a schnauzer, which would be fine if he was one but he's not.

Needless to say, I took my dog somewhere else after that.

He's a wheaten terrier. The fall is the hair over the dog's eyes. If the customer says something the groomer doesn't understand, then perhaps the groomer should say, 'What do you mean?' rather than 'Okay,' particularly given I said, 'The hair is supposed to be over his eyes.'

Edited by Sheridan

Yes, you're right. The first thing out of my mouth would have been "what's a fall?". I'm not too proud to say to a client that i don't understand them. I'd rather appear simple than make a mistake from pride. And yes, you don't want a wheaten with schnauzer brows!

I had a 10-hr job before and what I can say is nothing soothes me more than grooming my dog at night after a tough day at work. Something about holding the comb and giving my boy a good groom. Happiness is spending that 10-minutes touching and holding my little boy alone. I think that bonded us tremendously. Sometimes I try my best to teach owners of obviously neglected dogs the joys of doing basic grooming. It is really sad to find people giving all sorts of lame excuses for not taking care of their animal :rofl: Some owners even laugh at me when I told them dogs really really appreciate a good massage

so true! I love our little ritual, Boo isn't overly fond of being groomed but since we started doing it every night just before going to sleep with my OH there to give him scritches and massage his ears and treats ready beside the bed for when we finish he's gotten much happier. It's our nightime routine and it's very soothing and rewarding to spend that time making sure he's free of cobblers pegs, dirt, the odd ant (:eek:) and snags in his feathering, checking his dew claws and making his ears all foofy ;) And it takes such a small amount of time!

Good for you for posting about what groomers.....despite doing a thoroughly professional job...have to often put up with.

I'd always thought that people who took their dogs for professional grooming, would all be thoroughly responsible & caring of their dogs. So it was a real eye-opener to me when I first read a thread on DOL where a groomer set out all the horrors she sees in a lot more than a few dogs brought into her.

The stunning thing is how lacking in insight such owners seem to be.....blaming the groomer for things that they, themselves, have neglected.

On a positive note. After worrying & worrying about the pro's & con's of getting our Tibbie girls clipped for the Qld summer....I'll never forget what they looked like after they pranced out of an excellent groomer's work-room.

Absolutely fabulous & gorgeous!

And the groomer must have handled them wonderfully. From then on, they loved going to her....& would throw themselves into her arms. They voted with their 4 paws!

Exactly! I hate notes that tell me in detail what i would already have done automatically. You ask "same as last time?" and you get a note with a list on it, that in actuality is "the same as last time". With some clients i really believe they do this to be superior. Like i don't know to do his nails? Haven't i cut his nails every two months for the last 5 years? Don't you get a written report stating his nails were cut? Then Why do you need to tell me to do it?

How would you groom a wheaten terrier? Right from the moment the dog is brought in, what do you do?

Because same as last time doesn't work for me.

How would you groom a wheaten terrier? Right from the moment the dog is brought in, what do you do?

I was just meaning if the clip IS the same as last time, i don't need a note from the client itemising nails, ears, bath, dry, etc. I would groom a wheaten however you wanted it done, within reason. If you didn't know, (and lots of people with pure breeds don't know how they should look), then i would use a show dog as an example and follow the guidelines set out in the All Breeds Grooming Guide. That said, it's all kinda hypothetical for me as for 5 years now i have limited my clientel to small breeds only. Nothing bigger than a cav!

I was just meaning if the clip IS the same as last time, i don't need a note from the client itemising nails, ears, bath, dry, etc. I would groom a wheaten however you wanted it done, within reason. If you didn't know, (and lots of people with pure breeds don't know how they should look), then i would use a show dog as an example and follow the guidelines set out in the All Breeds Grooming Guide. That said, it's all kinda hypothetical for me as for 5 years now i have limited my clientel to small breeds only. Nothing bigger than a cav!

I asked for the first thing you do, which is not a clip.

I think if an owner gives you a list, particularly given that some owners actually do know how their dog is supposed to be groomed, you say, 'Thank you very much' and be grateful that an owner takes the trouble.