Brydee Update:short Heeling Vid

Have been winging our way through working in drive with my young Stafford pup (7 months old)

Just a short vid to update those who know us. We have been following the Balabanov dvds, and although the work is very unrefined, she is coming along great.

Brydee heelwork vid

Edited by dogdude

DogDude, She's looking pretty good!!!! :rofl: One thing I might mention is that now is a great time to stop watching her, if you want to trial you'll get docked heaps of points for watching her all the time - it's the thing I get pinged for the most!!! It's so hard not to watch them but if you start training yourself early then you should be out of the habit before you start trialling, unlike me who has to go into a trial ring with "DO NOT WATCH YOUR DOG" written on my hand!!! :eek:

Hi Seita

Yes.......the next stage in her heeling work is to work without direct eye contact. We have just started learning this.......but its heaps easier to teach this when you have a helper. She has only been to dog club once.........but we are about to tackle this problem now that the wife has a few spare days.

I want the dog to cue turns off my head turn.

JulesP: Thanks!

shes looking great, what a fantastic job your doing

she has that fantastic enthusiasm as her mum and half brother ;)

7 months... gone fast hey its taken me 2 years what youve done in 7 months :rolleyes: shows just how much work and dedication you have both put in . ( L ) is very proud i can tell you, she sent me an e mail telling me about her shes stoked !!!! . well done.

Going well Jules! She's huge!

All that self videoing is hard work! When we walked to out normally desolate training ground the day I filmed, it was over run with 3 year olds and their mothers (there is play equipment etc there). I felt a bit embarrassed when I looked up to switch off the camera and found them all gathered together watching. The parents then let all the littlies run up to pat her without ok'ing it with me. Lucky for them she is great around the kids.

My silly old computer won't even let me upload video to photobucket. I had to go to mums to upload it.

That is funny DD! When I had a lesson with Leopuppy the other week I had a man come over and take pics!

I was at home for that so no one to watch but one of the cats was being very annoying on the first go!!

She is getting big, I have to really look now to see which border it is.

I don't have sound on this computer so I hope this doesn't sound silly :laugh:

I like how you release to the toy - have been thinking about it and it might be something for me to try to get the reward off of my body to prepare for trialling. How did you start this? Did you just do focus and then release and build up the time?

Hi Kavik

Yes

She started off on TOT with food.........so item release was an easy transition.

Having the item or food on your body (beyond the targeting and learning stages) only serves to get a false focus in heelwork according to Balabanov.

His first dvd compares all of the training styles, and demonstrates the problems regarding each, with practical demonstrations shown. One of those demonstrations was about having food in your pockets etc. They seemed to make sense.

I have mostly used a food target bag to train Oscar too, but still use a lure in training incase I need to re-engage focus for any reason.

Balabanov teaches dog to focus on his head movements in order to get an early cue in the turns.

When the item is on you, the dog is thinking too much about where and when it will appear.

When you work with a reward target.... the dog has only got you, and what you want to focus on.

I started off running to the item with the dog at first, then eventually just send them. Experiment with your dog regarding how far away you need the reward to maintain the level of drive and focus. Some dogs, it makes no difference really.

For recall for instance, I place the prey item behind me about 2 metres away, to encourage the dog to move fast towards me. For C.O.P.......I put it behind the dog, to encourage the dog to push up, as opposed to wanting to move forwards to gain reward.

With recall, sometimes I will release the dog during various stages of the exercise directly to the item or food without fronting to mix it up and maintain good speed. It keeps them on their toes.

Edited by dogdude