Sashas Blend, Joint Guard, Or Something Else?

Guest Willow

Guest Willow

My Stafford boy is about 6 or 7 (rescue dog....not 100% sure of age) and we recently discovered he has a slightly flattened femoral head on the left side after x-raying him because he was sore after a fence-jumping attempt.

The vet believes he has been managing it without too much trouble till now, which is why we hadn't had any problems until the jarring injury triggered it.

I'm assuming this soreness is something that will flare up from time to time as he gets older, and was thinking about putting him on a joint supplement as a general "lubrication" for him.

I am confused though....do I put him on Sasha's Blend, Joint Guard, Hills j/d food, glucosamine from the health food store, or something else???

Do any supplements have side effects I should be aware of???

He doesn't appear to be in any discomfort at all right now, but he's not getting any younger, and I would like to give him all the help I can to keep him mobile & active as he ages.

All suggestions/opinions greatfully recieved!!!!

Our old Golden Retriever has been suffering from soreness in her joints for quite a few years. We put her on Sasha's Blend and its done wonders for her. She also has fish oil, which helps reduce inflammation.

Lots of people seem to recommend Joint Guard over Sasha's - theres heaps of threads about it. We tried Joint Guard for a few tubs but didn't find it made any difference, and the Sasha's for us is easier to get and cheaper. Her breeder, who is a vet nurse, said that the Hills J/D food was really good but we figure she's doing well with the fish oil and Sasha's so we kept her on her usual diet.

My 8yo dog has been on Joint Guard for a few months now and is doing really well on it. My vet recommended this product, and we haven't tried anything else as it seems to be working. No more lameness or hobbling after a long walk or offlead romp.

I believe Sasha's Blend is pretty stinky? So some dogs will turn their noses up at it. Joint Guard doesn't smell. I can sprinkle it on a chicken carcass and my dog will still wolf it all down happily. Perhaps that's just because he's a greedy pig :laugh:

Sasha's Blend does have a very fishy smell - as well as the goldie, one of my GSDs who failed her hips is on it also, and they both eat it no problems :laugh: Maybe they're the greedy pigs!

We use fish oil with glucosamine - you can buy 100 tablets for about $20 and he takes one a day.

Joint guard seems to be a bit better because it does not have the fishy smell (sashas blend smells like an old fishing bag) and Ollie would eat his food with that but would not touch it if it had the SB in it.

We asked the vet and he said that the fish oil tabs are good enough for him.

We use Joint Guard on our oldies and they are all doing really well

Joint Guard has glucosamine & chondroitin and it doesnt smell

We're really happy with it and highly recommend it, it isnt too expensive either, my vet called me to tell me they now do a 750g tub, as we were going through the 400g tubs like no tomorrow with all the dogs on it!!

I've been using Sasha's Blend for years with Chloe and it does seem to help. It's a bit smelly, but nothing too bad and she loves it - has never turned her nose up to anything that's coated in Sasha's.

I also use Joint Guard when we are out of Sasha's Blend, and it's really much of a muchness, but I just prefer Sasha's and I think she just seems to like it and do marginally better on it.

I have personally had good results with Sasha's blend and know of a few others that have experienced good results with it also. I don't know what diet you feed but might i also suggest a super premium senior diet i.e eagle pack holistic or similar.

Willow,

You can get the same results using std human Omega 3-6-9 oil capsules. Much cheaper than buying the others from vets. Check out the nutrition and ingredient panels on the std ones on sale at health food places or Coles, or Woolies and if they are equal dosages, go with what the wallet likes. You can also feed sardines in oil instead - chop up for a little dog though.

My old boy get needles when it starts to get cold. Cartrophen. Magic stuff. Takes about 3-4 needles, a week apart, enough for it to build up in the body and take effect, then a monthly injection keeps him bouncing. I think they are about $25-$30 per injection. This, combined with an oil capsule each meal makes for a very happy boy!

Everyone in the house furkids and skinkids alike all get them. Doggies think they are a treat and gobble them. :)

Hope this helps.

it may be good for them but neither of mine could stand hills j/d...tried tinned and dry.

The first tin I opened, I took one smell and thought uh oh, they not gonna like this...they hated it!!! took forever to get through it all

Hi Willow

It may need to be a case of trial and error - as what works for some will not work for others. I started my beautiful Raffy on Cartrophen when he was 12 years old due to the onset of arthritis. Sasha's blend, joint guard and all the prepared foods with joint support formulas, besides being very expensive, caused upset stomach and triggered irritable bowel. After seeing a natural therapies vet, I added human grade glucosamine/chondroitin, fish oil and cartrin (concentrated liquid cartilage). Raffy lived very comfortably and pain free to a mature 17+ years of age. I now have an 18 month old rescue who has undergone a double elbow arthroscopy, and after consultating with the natural therapies vet once again, is also doing very well on exactly the same therapy - cartrophen injections monthly, along with daily glucosamine/chondroitin, fish oil and cartrin.

All the best to you both!

We use Joint Guard on our oldies and they are all doing really well

Joint Guard has glucosamine & chondroitin and it doesnt smell

We're really happy with it and highly recommend it, it isnt too expensive either, my vet called me to tell me they now do a 750g tub, as we were going through the 400g tubs like no tomorrow with all the dogs on it!!

Someone is now doing a concentrated form, you only need about a half of a tiny plastic spoon provided in the container. It works out really cheap. $26. I think it may be Natures Way. I found it lasted ages but the health food shop ran out his time so I have the normal Joint Guard again. We also use cartrophen when needed and Previcox on hand for any nasties, pain etc. Dont need it very often though.

Oh yeah cartrophen is great stuff to. One initial injection a week for 4 weeks followed by monthly to every three monthly boosters, depending of how bad the arthritis is- worked absolute wonders for my old girl.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Willow

After discussions with the vets at work, we've decided to put him on Hills j/d for 6 weeks, to see how he goes. The vet wanted to be careful about what he has due to having just finished chemo, so this was the best option for now :hug:

We use Joint Guard now. because Mr Fussy wouldn't look at his food with Sashas Blend.

Our vet also has biscuits that we resort to when he is going through a really fussy spell.

Did you know Joint Guard now comes as a treat, my vet gave us a sample when we were there last, they are liver and she really likes them :laugh: