Me New Vets Opinion On Titre Testing

After my long term vet laughed at me, and basically insinuated I was crazy when I asked him about titre testing and also the fact that I was concerned about yearly vaccs, I went and found myself a new vet.

He ws great, he listened to my concerns, he asked questions in regards to my animals and whether I kennelled them or not etc. He doesnt do the titre testing himself but he basically told me not to vaccinate my staffy x again unless I kennelled her in the future. He did concede that vacc'ing dogs with skin irritations can affect them and that I was doing the right thing for her. She should pretty well be covered already. He also said that giving an oral heartworm is probably preferable for her too.

I am really pleased, its nice to know that there is one vet out there that doesnt think I am an irresponsible owner by not vaccinating yearly.

I will definately be going back there again.

That's fantastic!

My vet was happy to talk to me about titre testing but didn't know all the information so she did some research for me and then called me a couple days after i'd asked with the dumbed down version of the information. They don't do it at my vet clinic but she was happy to start offering it if we wanted to have it done.

All in all I'm very impressed!

Yeah it's nice when vets listen and address your queries into how you want your animals treated. Really it should be the norm but we all know it doesn't always happen. Best thing you ever did letting your feet do the talking to the previous vet, it sounds as though you may have found someone better - yay!

A lot of the new grads favour titre testing & some are quietly fans of minimal vacc. and the practices they work for are afraid of losing money on vaccinations.

BUT one of the problems is encouraging yearly health checks, if the public think the animal only has to see the vet every three years or so for titre testing, many, many health issues that could have been picked up early - won't be seen until they are beyond treatment.

So we need to educate for a new mindset of yearly health checks - not to line the vet pockets, but preventative health care :-))

fifi