How Much Food

Reduce the food volume. All brands have different energy density, use the recommended feeding guide as that only and adjust to keep a healthy weight. Weight is a simple matter of matching the calories to energy expenditure.

I have a 5 yr old desexed girl who is 11.5kg, and my male (3yrs old) is 18kg. So yeah I think she is a little on the heavy side.

What is the name of the proper dog food you are using, and how much are you feeding??

I have a 5 yr old desexed girl who is 11.5kg, and my male (3yrs old) is 18kg. So yeah I think she is a little on the heavy side.

What is the name of the proper dog food you are using, and how much are you feeding??

its not dog food you get from the shops its made up of meat pasta chicken in like a meat lofe and i feed her about the size of your fist of meat in the morning and then dry food at night

They can beef up during seasons I think. So could possibly be the reason why she is heavier at the moment.

Are you able to find out a break down of the food mix you are feeding her, might help with working out the amount you give her.

If she is gaining weight you either need to cut her food down or increase her activity.

You may only need to take half a centimetre off the meat roll each morning.

We do kibble (biscuits) for breakfast and turkey mince and veges for dinner (we cook for our Stafford - although if yours will eat it raw, that is better IMO). You can chop and change the meats and the veges to add variety.

Some of those rolls of meat are high in fat and this won't be good for your girl either - just check the ingredients list. What ever the first three ingredients are listed, that is what it is mostly made up of.

The expensive but much better kibbles are good because dogs don't need much of them.

If you reduce her food and you find she seems hungry, you can grate a carrot into it or give her one to chew (not a lot of calories and most dogs like them).

A big marrow bone is exercise for her jaws and they don't add a lot of calories to the diet either.

I was just wondering why you have not had her desexed? Are you showing her?

It is just a personal opinion but I believe dogs and bitches are better off desexed if they are only being kept as pets - more for health reasons than anything else.

Cheers

Jodie

I'd cut her food intake by 1/4 and see how you go. You're already exercising her.

If she's a little overweight now, then it's best to help her lose it asap.

You should be able to feel the ribs easily with the FLAT part of your hand.

If you have to poke around with fingers to find ribs, then your dog's too fat- is no good for joints or overall health.

If she is gaining weight you either need to cut her food down or increase her activity.

You may only need to take half a centimetre off the meat roll each morning.

We do kibble (biscuits) for breakfast and turkey mince and veges for dinner (we cook for our Stafford - although if yours will eat it raw, that is better IMO). You can chop and change the meats and the veges to add variety.

Some of those rolls of meat are high in fat and this won't be good for your girl either - just check the ingredients list. What ever the first three ingredients are listed, that is what it is mostly made up of.

The expensive but much better kibbles are good because dogs don't need much of them.

If you reduce her food and you find she seems hungry, you can grate a carrot into it or give her one to chew (not a lot of calories and most dogs like them).

A big marrow bone is exercise for her jaws and they don't add a lot of calories to the diet either.

I was just wondering why you have not had her desexed? Are you showing her?

It is just a personal opinion but I believe dogs and bitches are better off desexed if they are only being kept as pets - more for health reasons than anything else.

Cheers

Jodie

thanks for your coment i havent had her desexed yet because i want her to go through mother hood just once befor i get her sniped just for to experence it.

thanks for your coment i havent had her desexed yet because i want her to go through mother hood just once befor i get her sniped just for to experence it.

Why is that?

Aside from the fact that she probably isn't registered & possibly not even up to breed standard, you may be letting yourself in for alot of heartache if you do decide to let her have a litter.

You could go through most of the threads in Breeders to find out what can happen but I will give you the most recent example of what happened to me. Now you may or may not get beginner's luck & this may or may not happen to you but is it worth the chance to find out?

When Loo, my blue bitch, had her litter this year, the first pup was stuck. It was hindfirst with a leg caught behind it. This pup was stuck for over an hour before I was able to grab the one leg & pull, with the mother panicking by the way which meant that I couldn't get the leg back around & the result was a dead pup. To follow, there were 2 more stillborn pups & then a pup that just couldn't quite get breathing & died a couple hours later. If I had not been there to help or had no knowledge of what to do in that situation, I would have lost the mother as well as the whole litter. This is not uncommon either :laugh: Then, we lost the mother when the pups were 2 1/2 weeks old to a horrible accident & had to handraise them. There were only 3 surviving pups but it was still quite a chore to mix up the milk replacer (goat's milk & yogurt) & feed them every couple of hours. What if your bitch has 8-14 pups that you have to handfeed every two hours?? What if she won't accept the pups at all or her milk doesn't come in? Do you know the cost of a C-section if she does need help whelping? ALOT!

Read through the Rescue forum & you will read all about the pups that are now in shelters because someone "wanted their bitch to have a litter" but had no clue what they were doing or who they were selling the pups too :laugh:.

For the sake of all the dogs & pups that are already homeless in shelters, desex your bitch! Please.

Do you know the cost of a C-section if she does need help whelping? ALOT!

My workplace currently charge approx $900 for small-medium breed uncomplicated during regular hours. After hours minimum $1500, likely more like $2000 for a staffordshire, payable at the time. Staffords are notorious for needing caesars, very good for business, not so good for your wallet...

My workplace currently charge approx $900 for small-medium breed uncomplicated during regular hours. After hours minimum $1500, likely more like $2000 for a staffordshire, payable at the time. Staffords are notorious for needing caesars, very good for business, not so good for your wallet...

My inlaws neighbour stupidly backyard bred a litter of staffies - ending up costing them about 6 grand and all the pups died anyway. Fools.

Hi.. I would also suggest just cutting back on her food amount slightly for a couple of weeks, and see if there's a difference .

Could someone be slipping her treats? If she smiles that staffy grin, someone may be tempted ! :laugh:

Now.....

You want your bitch to experience motherhood?here are some of the things she MAY experience....

The fright of being mated for the first time...the panic of a 'tie'

the risks of getting an infection from an unknown male?

The trips to the vet for checks during pregnancy

getting so big and uncomfortable she can't turn around properly

the pain of giving birth, or the confusion of a 'Caesar'

the joys of mastitis when her boobs get infected

the chance of getting eclampsia/milk fever

the uncomfortable full boobs as her pups are weaned..

the upset when her pups go to new homes

yep, there are certainly experiences :rofl:

obviously these are not usual...but many DO happen , and are not pleasant.

Bitches do not "miss' never having been a mum...they don't think like we do., thankfully.

They do not NEED to have pups to grow emotionally , or physically :laugh:

enjoy your little dog... without the worries associated with pregnancy and birth.

Not to mention mammory cancer - I have seen this so many times.

As I said - pets should be desexed (this is my opinion and I will stand by it). If I can convince just one BYB to not breed their precious girl then I feel better and have probably saved at least one of those pups from being PTS in a pound - there are enough breeders out there that KNOW what they are doing, as pet owners I personally think it is irresponsible to add to the problem.

Please reconsider - get her desexed now, save her from so many possible problems that come with Staffords having pups (all bitches actually).

There is also her look - she may not go back to that tight tummy with flat boobies. She could end up with really saggy boobs after feeding.

In the end, she is your dog and you will do what you will do - we are only thinking of the dog.

So are you are registered breeder and does your girl have main registration papers? Is she a good specimen of the breed? What does her breeder have to say, do they think your bitch is breeding material?

Why does she need to experience it?

exactly what benefit is it to her to go through the experience ?

you have called her an English staffy, there is no such breed as an english staffy, should some one who doesnt even know the correct name

of their breed be deciding whether or not she needs to be a mother?

do you know how many un wanted Stafford's there are in pounds?

i beg you to do some REAL research into this before you decide to breed a litter.

just because you think she wants to be a mother or needs to be a mother, its a good reason to breed a litter.