Peeing Puppy

renetta

We have a 4 1/2 month old Border Collie, we got him at 8 weeks, and we can't seem to get the hang of this toilet training thing.

He'll go outside when we tell him to, he gets lots of praise, but when we're inside it's like he forgets everything.

He'll be playing with his toys and without much warning he'll go wherever his standing. If we catch him we'll run to the back door and make funny noises so he'll follow but once we get him outside he won't finish.

He knows it's bad because every time he does it and we go to clean it he'll run away and hide.

We've tried picking him up and running him out, saying no when he does it inside then yes when we're outside, standing with him outside (being boring) until he goes, leaving him outside if he doesn't go, and even thought I didn't want to a couple of times be put his nose in it.

We need help!!! This is the only thing he has trouble with and he would be the close to perfect dog once he gets it.

My Border Collie pup is now 4 1/2 mths old & I've had her for 7 1/2 weeks. We are having a similar problem. I've found the only way to help has been having her sleep in a crate, taking her outside after being released from it & after she's eaten her meals. We have gone up to a week with no mistakes & then if I've not put her outside after she's been in for awhile she will wee near the back door.

Are you using an enzyme cleaner made especially for animals. You need to thoroughly clean the area. They will keep going to the same spot if they can still smell where they've been. Please don't be tempted to rub his nose in it. That will only make him afraid of you & he'll hide where he goes. He must not have access to the whole house until he's reliable. limit access to one room until then & don't let him out of your sight. You can also attach the lead to your belt while he's inside so you know what he's up to.

Hi..

He knows it's bad because every time he does it and we go to clean it he'll run away and hide.

Sorry, but No, he doesn't :)

He does however know that something unpleasant usually happens when he pees inside... loud voices, being grabbed and put out.. disapproving growls/stares and especially

put his nose in it.
:rolleyes: All this does is shows him that you are strong, and are to be feared..

It is an old wives tale..and is no help,as dogs are dogs, and do not reason or associate things as humans do :laugh:

You may have to go back to basics.

take him out every half hour or so... use a command every time.. lots of praise when he does go...and keep him on a leash for a few days..so he CAN'T get away from your sight.

Give him the chance to do it RIGHT ... don't physically give him a chance to make as many mistakes :p

There is a very old fashioned but well proven training aid that works every time, whenever your puppy wees inside pick up a newspaper, roll it up and hit YOURSELF hard over the head with it because it's your fault for not being more vigilant :rolleyes:

Take your puppy out to the toilet immediately after sleeping, eating or playing and about every 3/4 hour in between, stay outside with the puppy until he relieves herself and then give LOTS of praise, never just put him out and leave him. If your puppy is inside you must watch him ALL THE TIME as every accident that occurs reinforces the behaviour, if you're busy and can't supervise him confine him to a crate, dogs don't like to soil where they sleep. If you haven't crate trained him I suggest you do as using a crate is one of the easiest ways to toilet train a puppy.

NEVER rub your puppy's nose in its waste, this serves no useful purpose and will only make your puppy frightened of you and make him more likely to sneak away somewhere and do it where you can't see. If you catch him urinating inside, say 'uh-uh' in a firm voice and take him outside, do NOT punish him in anyway, he is not trying to be deliberately naughty and doesn't know that he's doing wrong, he just hasn't got the hang of it yet, at 4 1/2 months he's still a baby.

Be aware that dogs do not think or behave like humans, they are a totally different species and you need to relate to them in a way that the dog understands. 'The Perfect Puppy' by Gwen Bailey is a very good book for new puppy owners.

Edited by Miranda

There is a very old fashioned but well proven training aid that works every time, whenever your puppy wees inside pick up a newspaper, roll it up and hit YOURSELF hard over the head with it because it's your fault for not being more vigilant :rolleyes:

I am a strong believer of this training aid! :laugh:

This is all great advice. I can only add that some dogs don't 'get it' for several months. I've had two afghans that i was still toilet training up to 12 months old! Currently i have two that were trained by 3 months. So sometimes i think it's the brain not the bladder that has to mature! So be consistent and be patient.

IMO it appears you are only 'partly' training your dog. You're training for being outside. But not taking the preventative measures and training the pup that it actually needs to go outside. And every time your pup has an opportunity - and takes it - to go inside, he's learning that he can (and thinks it is ok). Vigilance is required. You need to be pro-active. Make a chart to cover one week and make a note of when your pup sleeps, plays, eats, drinks, and wakes. Include in this chart when your pup toilets.

When you look back over a week, it will give you an idea of how long after what your pup tends to toilet. Some people find this very helpful in recognising a pattern that is often there, but they couldn't see if before.

Generally, toilet time is after waking; after sleeping; after eating/drinking; after playing ..... and just when the pup hasn't gone for a while.

You need to have some notion of these times so that you can take your pup to the toilet area. This will teach your dog "when you feel you need to go ..... go outside to this spot".

Please don't go the "rub nose in it" route. Aggression in the later lives of some dogs can be linked back to inappropriate house training.