Could It Be Giardia?

Can Giardia appear to come and go without treatment? A friends whippet gets sick every now and then, she vomits, gets the runs and then appears to recover without treatment (other than feeding chicken and rice).

She's usually only sick for a day or two so doesn't always get taken to the vet for it but I have just started to wonder if it could be giardia.

Does anyone know if giardia can cause symptoms like this or, if one has it will the runs and vomiting continue until it's treated.

Looking forward to answers

Edited by Kirislin

Can Giardia appear to come and go without treatment? A friends whippet gets sick every now and then, she vomits, gets the runs and then appears to recover without treatment (other than feeding chicken and rice).

She's usually only sick for a day or two so doesn't always get taken to the vet for it but I have just started to wonder if it could be giardia.

Does anyone know if giardia can cause symptoms like this or if one has it will the runs and vomiting continue until it's treated.

Looking forward to answers

Kirislin, DOL Just Andrea has had giardia through her dogs & is still trying to eliminate it. Why not PM her for more info?

Giardia belongs to Protozoa, so antibiotics are ineffective.

Normally, you would need to check if dogs doesn't have bacterial infection (Salmonella or Campylobacter) before starting to treat for Giardia. I guess some vets would be able to check for presence of Giardia cysts in dog's feces. As far as I know, the treatment include some of the worming medicines.

Diarrhoea would be the main symptom, not so sure about vomiting. If I have to risk a guess, I would go for some other parasites, like worms.

In any case, they need to talk to a vet.

That's what Grover had (the symptoms described by the OP) and the vet gave him a Giardia trial - as in gave him the medicine for it. All the symptoms stopped immediately.

That's what Grover had (the symptoms described by the OP) and the vet gave him a Giardia trial - as in gave him the medicine for it. All the symptoms stopped immediately.

thankyou everyone.

Her dogs are due for a vaccination, I think I will suggest she speak to the vet about treating them.

I bred her whippets, both of them, but different litters. When this bitch, the one who keeps getting sick now was a tiny pup, the whole litter came down with giardia and nearly died. Turns out their mum Penny was carrying it and although she herself seemed perfectly healthy, the minute the pups started suckling they became infected. I think their mum probably got it from the lake at the park where we walk most days.