If You Found A Lump ...

Would you go to the vet straight away or wait a week or two to see if it either goes away or changes in size? I found one on Chopper's neck. It's smaller than a ping pong ball. He had a fight with another dog last week and OH reckons it's from that. There's no puncture wounds in that area though, so not an infection. I can squeeze it and it doesn't bother him. Any thoughts?

If the lump is where he may have got bitten then more than likely it is just a bit of fluid just keep and eye on it because it could also be an abcess that will need treatment.

Ring your vet and see what they say to put your mind at ease though but if its not going down in the next few days definantly a vet visit for him.

Guest PixieOfWrath

If it wasn't bothering the dog I personally would leave it for maybe a week, while keeping a very close eye on it.

Personally, I'd be going to the vet as the lymphs glands are in the neck and if there's an infection in a lymph gland you wouldn't want to wait a week or so.

I am speaking from personal experience here. I had a dog who developed a lump in her neck and it turned out to be an infection. Unbeknown to us at the time it was a precurser to other problems that developed over time.

So personally any lump in the neck it would be off to the Vet. Hopefully it'll be all good for you and your dog.

I would say leave it a few days and keep an eye on it as it is very likely a wound from the fight.

However I'm a panic merchant and rush my dogs to the vet at the very first sign of something amiss :thumbsup:

I'd wait a few days if it did not seem to be causing any issues, but if it was not going down at all I would be getting it looked at & a needle aspiration done.... but I like others, I tend to be a bit of a panic merchant as well when something is wrong with my boy.

I'd go straight away if the lump is anywhere near the lymph glands, Harley's first symptoms of lymphoma was a small lump in her neck.

If untreated lymphoma can be fatal in less than 4 weeks, it's probably not that, but if it is you need all the time you can get.

Dani

I'd go straight away if the lump is anywhere near the lymph glands, Harley's first symptoms of lymphoma was a small lump in her neck.

If untreated lymphoma can be fatal in less than 4 weeks, it's probably not that, but if it is you need all the time you can get.

Dani

Ditto. After losing Ricky to this just 12 months ago and knowing seveal people with young dogs going through treatment for it at the moment, I would not sit and wait a week. I would rather race in and be told it was nothing than wait a week and find that it had spread.

I found a lump, vet visit next day - 2 mins for needle aspirate and we got a fatty cyst diagnosis - well worth the $45 for peace of mind immediately.

Did the same with my boy a few weeks ago. Was pretty sure it wasn't anything but a fatty lump but I couldn't stop worrying untill I had it checked out.

Dani

Ditto. After losing Ricky to this just 12 months ago and knowing seveal people with young dogs going through treatment for it at the moment, I would not sit and wait a week. I would rather race in and be told it was nothing than wait a week and find that it had spread.

Same here.

I lost my girl, Miranda, to lymphoma three years ago. Luckily, I took her to the vet straight away, and we had 10 months with her instead of a few weeks.

I am just so paranoid about lumps now.

I am paranoid about lumps, after losing Jenna to one :laugh:

Renae has a fatty tissue lump on the underside of her tail, which is not meant to be anything to worry about..

I get it checked every time i take her to the vets for a general checkup ( plus i keep an close eye on it all the time as well)

It pays to get them checked out asap IMO ! :rofl:

Hope your dog is ok, ruthless ?

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

I made a vet appt for last Saturday, but the lump had subsided considerably over the week prior, so I cancelled. If it had appeared out of the blue I would be more concerned, but due to the fact that he'd been in a fight the day before I noticed it I figured that was the cause. It's almost gone now, but if it doesn't go completely within a week I'll have it checked.

I made a vet appt for last Saturday, but the lump had subsided considerably over the week prior, so I cancelled. If it had appeared out of the blue I would be more concerned, but due to the fact that he'd been in a fight the day before I noticed it I figured that was the cause. It's almost gone now, but if it doesn't go completely within a week I'll have it checked.

Good news ruthless. :laugh: