My Friend Can't Stand Fresh Meat

I have a 6yo German Shepherd and he is fed mainly fresh meat (as opposed to dry food).

My friend kindly offered to look after him in my absence. I am very grateful and don't want to inconvenience her. She can't stand fresh meat; I would like to buy food for my dog (while he stays with her) which would be optimally nutritious fresh meat replacement. Is there a really good dry food substitute? My dog currently eats 1/2 kilo of fresh meat + vegetables & fruit.

I would be grateful for help.

I have a 6yo German Shepherd and he is fed mainly fresh meat (as opposed to dry food).

My friend kindly offered to look after him in my absence. I am very grateful and don't want to inconvenience her. She can't stand fresh meat; I would like to buy food for my dog (while he stays with her) which would be optimally nutritious fresh meat replacement. Is there a really good dry food substitute? My dog currently eats 1/2 kilo of fresh meat + vegetables & fruit.

I would be grateful for help.

I think the closest you can get would be Evo, Orijen or Artemis Max Dog.

Can I ask what it is about fresh meat that your friend doesn't like?

I am thinking that if she doesn't like handling and cutting it up, is it possible for you to buy, cut up, portion and freeze sufficient meat for your dog whilst your away? That way she just has to take it out of the freezer, defrost it and plonk it in his dish - she wouldn't actually be "handling" the meat? Just a thought...

Ditto - BUT does she have the room to store it all?

I would be getting Chinese containers and making it all up for them, one per day, all she will have to do is undo the lid and chuck it out to your dog

You could also get some barf patties (if you can't make up enough baggies for the whole time you're away) as well as some good dry food - that way your dog will still be getting some fresh meat.

Just remember to put him on whatever your friend is going to be feeding for a few days before you go - i know that when Zero has a food change he can sometimes get stomach upsets from it and i would hate to dump him on a friend with stomach problems (not to mention having to clean up after him...)

I agree with Shell. BARF patties are a complete meal that includes fruit and vegetables and requires minimal handliing and preparation. Particularly now the patties are individually shrink wrapped. May be a bit more expensive, but at least your dog will be getting the good diet that he is used to.

I don't eat red meat myself and wont cook it for anyone, use fry pans that it has been cooked in, eat anything that has been touching it, wash dishes that it has been on.. ok you get my nutty problem.

Anyway after changing over to a full BARF diet for my dogs I actually have become fantastic with having to handle meat. My trick is that I always use disposable gloves when I have to handle it and wash my hands with lots of hand wash afterwards (yes I am a nutter). I buy meat in bulk and freeze it up in daily portions. With the chicken necks I use my disposable gloves when I chop them up.

So maybe pre package your meats and other food. And send this along with a big packet of disposable rubber gloves and handwash. If your friend doesn't have room for two months supply then maybe you can store some in your freezer and she can come over and grab it half way through your dogs stay.

So maybe pre package your meats and other food. And send this along with a big packet of disposable rubber gloves and handwash. If your friend doesn't have room for two months supply then maybe you can store some in your freezer and she can come over and grab it half way through your dogs stay.

I was going to suggest the same thing as I feed BARF and don't like handling raw meat either, so use the plastic disposable gloves to package up the meat, chicken necks etc too.

If the freezer isn't too big and it's not too much hassle you could send that over to your friends place too with each meal packaged up for her to defrost and toss into a bowl. I keep all the butter, chinese take-away and similar size containers for Pele's meals.

I really dislike handling fresh meat, too.

I use disposable gloves and use left-over ice cream containers to defrost/store meat.

I like brisket bones and chicken carcasses- I just put the gloves on and throw them outside for dogs to eat.

Containers go straight into the garbage afterwards.

Suggest you change over diet over a week or so (gradually less meat, more dry) b4 she arrives to minimise doggy tummy upsets.