High Value Rewards

I train normally with things like chicken,cheese,devon,cabanossi,sausages etc and am just looking for something that i don't use reguarly as normal treat to be used in times of high distraction for my dog(she is fear aggressive so am looking for high value rewards for when she pays no attention to another dog)

I used chicken necks cut in half today(shes a gsd)but they're quite mesy.I now you can get dried chicken necks(i just asked about them in health)

An other ideas?she is not motivated by toys either

The food you are using for every day rewards are the high value ones for my guys. My every day reward food is Eagle Pack kibble.

What about dried liver treats? Or some other kind of packaged doggie or cat treat? Twisties or Cheezels....in moderation...might be useful too. Dried apple? Benson goes nuts for that. Diced BBQ steak?

The food you are using for every day rewards are the high value ones for my guys. My every day reward food is Eagle Pack kibble.

What about dried liver treats? Or some other kind of packaged doggie or cat treat? Twisties or Cheezels....in moderation...might be useful too. Dried apple? Benson goes nuts for that. Diced BBQ steak?

Thanks for those ideas Gaylek,i might give the twisties a try.I do have dried tuna as well but was actually trying to think of fresh kind of stuff but that might just work.

One more idea....the 4Legs packaged food you can buy in the supermarket (meat section)....it looks like little mince balls. My guys LOVE it as an occasional treat for dinner and I think it would make brilliant training treats because it smells so good to them and it's easy to handle.

the ONLY thing that works for willow at training is dried sheep lung :D

I second that! :laugh: My guys went NUTS for your dried sheep lung :cry:

I've tried to find it here to no avail :cry: It would be an awesome treat to have in your pocket, & no slimy fingers! :)

the ONLY thing that works for willow at training is dried sheep lung :)

OOOH-I have dried roo heart :laugh: (i sell pet stuff LOL) but always use fresh kind of things.Always thought that the dried stuff would not be considered a high a value but i guess it depends what the dog really loves the taste of

Might get some of the dried stuff out and try it.I noticed i can buy dried calamari too,wonder what it would be like,its expensive though

Another vote for 4Legs here! I find that cooked chicken (with lots of skin and fat - thank goodness Zig is like a weed!) is wonderful as is boiled egg. I tend to prepare them just before I go training which means they are still warm - I think this increases the aroma and makes them even more yummy :laugh: Oddly enough Ziggy also goes completely nuts for the Farrell biscuits too.

ETA: Also I carry small jackpot containers of tinned salmon which are rather popular.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Charlie doesn't like working for food, he is getting better but would rather a tennis ball any day. Cant throw anything in the ring at flyball so I need to get SUPERDUPER treats for him.

The only thing I have seen him choose over a tennis ball (much to my shock) was the "Kramer" brand chicken breast bites. They are crunchy though so not any good for quick treats. He will also work for "chunkers" or this tuna cake thing I bake for him (bake it in a cake tin then cut it into tiny bits). I can give you the recipe if you want.

Every day treats for Delta are bits of kibble (they are a novelty to her and she goes nuts for them :)) Training treats are similar to the ones you mentioned.

I had a foster puppy a few months ago that I was taking to obedience. She was pretty excited about everything and I found the best way to keep her attention all night was to train with raw chicken hearts! By the end of the night my hands were covered in blood and gunk but it worked a charm :laugh:

High value treats - fried lambs fry chopped into reward size pieces - the dogs go mad for it!

The other things my dogs go mad for is those 'walkies' treats - they are shaped like kit kats but i cut them into small reward size pieces and carry them in my pocket for every day rewards.

My dogs will work for almost any food, but they really like things that are a bit soft and juicy.

Also, soft and juicy is eaten more quickly than things that are dry / crunchy. Doesn't interfere with your training while you wait for the dog to chew it.

I do not like using dried / processed food for treats.

The fried lambs liver (already suggested) or chicken thigh fillets, just nuke them until they are cooked, but still soft. Then cut into small pieces.Both of these are of highest value for my dogs.

I use the thighs, instead of breasts, because they do not seem to crumble when cut up. Also a bit cheaper.

Julie

High value treats for Stormy = any treat that another trainer has :laugh: Doesn't matter if they have dried liver or kibble in their treat pouch and I have devon or BBQ chicken. She is just motivated by other people... which makes it hard use as a reward! Murphy = anything that he can swallow, though he did seem to like the roasted lamb's fry I did a couple of weeks ago. Their is "chicken loaf" you can buy in the large rolls - have you though about trying this? Also, I have just bought a "dog roll" (processed dog food made into a huge sausage shape). I haven't tried it yet, but bought it hoping that it will be suitable to cut up for treats. I have also toyed with the idea of using raw liver (my guys don't really like dried stuff), but haven't gotten to that yet.

I train normally with things like chicken,cheese,devon,cabanossi,sausages etc and am just looking for something that i don't use reguarly as normal treat to be used in times of high distraction for my dog(she is fear aggressive so am looking for high value rewards for when she pays no attention to another dog)

I used chicken necks cut in half today(shes a gsd)but they're quite mesy.I now you can get dried chicken necks(i just asked about them in health)

Sorry, no treats suggestions. How do you specifically train a fear aggressive dog? Mine ignores other dogs normally, but then just goes off and snaps. She is fear aggressive, not aggressive as such. she is fearful of children too, so we avoid them :rolleyes: She is trained, but I don't know how to trin the fear out of her, if that makes sense :rolleyes: I just wondered what you find works? Sorry OT, but there are so many 'DA' threads out there ATM, inc mine :laugh: :rolleyes:

I just use chicken, sausage, cut up roast etc. for high value, and cheese. Otherwise I just throw a biscuit in my pocket and break it up for low value. Good luck with your dog :thumbsup::)

Sorry, no treats suggestions. How do you specifically train a fear aggressive dog? Mine ignores other dogs normally, but then just goes off and snaps. She is fear aggressive, not aggressive as such. she is fearful of children too, so we avoid them :rolleyes: She is trained, but I don't know how to trin the fear out of her, if that makes sense :rolleyes: I just wondered what you find works? Sorry OT, but there are so many 'DA' threads out there ATM, inc mine :laugh: :rolleyes:

I just use chicken, sausage, cut up roast etc. for high value, and cheese. Otherwise I just throw a biscuit in my pocket and break it up for low value. Good luck with your dog :thumbsup::)

I've just started using a clicker for this situation(normally train with a verbal marker)so am starting to click and treat before she reacts(so clicking her for looking at another dog and not reacting) and hopefully being able to move in closer so she reliases being near another dog is a good thing as she gets click = treats

Its only a new method i'm trying after using other methods which while have helped have not fully cured her reaction.I've also been able to get a lot more focus when heeling this week since using the clicker so am hoping asking for attention will help the overall problem.Nor sure if it's the clicker thats helped with the focus or its just coming together.I just find if she sees another dog she seems to not hear my voice so i guess a clicker may be more obvious and when she hears it she may(hopefully)look to me for the reward.Figure it can't hurt

As Clover doesn't get dry food outside training sessions, and still works well for them.

When I bring out something 'high value' (fritz, diced beef, etc) it's too much and she can't control herself.

Always using high value rewards means that you'll be on an almost never ending search for even higher value rewards for those 'special' (ie high intensity) situations. What I would recommend is that you go on a variable reward schedule.

So, when you're first teaching, reward with the higher value stuff.

Then, when your dog is performing to the 'basic' level reliably, reward randomly with the lower value treats. Introduce this bit by bit. Eg. Dog did good (but no better than usual) ... give low value reward. Next time, give high value reward. Next two times, give low value rewards. Next time give high value reward. Continue this way, working on giving the dog the lower value rewards more and more inbetween the high value rewards.

When your dog does something exceptional (ie better than he/she's ever done before), then give the higher value reward. Any of the behaviours (for the same task) not as good as that now only receive the lower value rewards.

In this way, you are keeping those "high value rewards" exactly that - high value.

If the way I've explained the above is too confusing to understand, think of it this way - ANALOGY : If I give you $100 per day for doing a mediocre job and then, one day, you did an excellent job but I still gave you $100, you'd wonder, "why bother with the extra effort". BUT, if I only then gave you $100 for the excellent job but gave you $50 for mediocre jobs, you'd be more compelled to make the extra effort. And I am no more out of pocket than I was before.

And don't forget that praise and a pat is also a reward to the dog. As to what value is for you to conclude as only you know your dog.

Also, after you've been on a consistent schedule of reinforcement (where your dog receives reinforcement EVERY time the correct behaviour is performed - normally done during the 'teaching' phase) it is also good to move onto an intermittent schedule of reinforcement too. If you remain on a consistence schedule of reinforcement, the skills/behaviour you've taught your dog are more susceptible to extinction.

Edited by Erny

thanks for the input everyone.I might drop back to dry treats for everday training and go to the soft,fresh treats for obedience club training than.

I was actually just watching the new Jean Donaldson's Perfect Paws in 5 days and she mentioned even using a jar of baby food and the dog can have 2 licks as a reward or using cherios.

I looked around the supermarket today for ideas and came up with a few more ideas-shrimp flavoured crackers,tinned prawns,and liverwurst( i brought some little salad dressing containers)in a container so dog can get a few licks as a treat.Could even put tuna or salmon in a similar container i guess