Skin/flea Problem

G'Day,

I have been browsing the forums and have so far found some wonderful information. We picked up our new german shepherd pup last Saturday. By Sunday she was chewing and scratching. I looked for flees and could not see any. I noticed some small "pimples" on her belly:

DSC00377.jpg

These dont seem to be the problem, although they have recently developed into what is shown on the picture.

She mainly chews at the base of her tail and back legs.

I spoke with the breeder, she suggested AllersebT or Malaseb. I purchased it today, along with Aloveen shampoo and conditioner. I also spoke with my breeders vet and she suggested Advocate, which I also purchased.

This afternoon I washed her with the Aloveen shampoo (did not leave it on for 10 minutes though) and then used the conditioner. Blow dried her and brushed her. I then put a vile of Advocate on her as per the instructions, but most of it "leaked" to her fur............

Tonight I noticed a lump near her tail. On parting her fur I noticed a flea! :laugh: I killed it. The lump seems to be from the flea bight and her chewing?

I explained to my wife that we now have to wash her bedding etc. (my wife is not very dog friendly). I will have to do it my self. Is it ok to wash it in our washing machine? Our house is 90% tiles, only carpet is in bedrooms which so far she has not had access.

So far I have not seen our local vet.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Regards,

Rob

You can get spot on applications that kill fleas, some do ticks as well.

Diesel my GSD has allergies and is always itchy :rofl: I hope your problem is only fleas, as that is easily fixed. I use Aloveen shampoo and conditioner on mine. He chews his flanks and tummy.

Edit: I didn't notice you already bought Advocate :laugh:

Edited by Kavik

The advocate has to wait 12-24 hours as it needs the oils of the skin to carry it through the coat - even so it can take a few hours for it to work either way. Once it works the fleas will be outta there but it can take a few days for the flea reaction to settle down.

The pimples are something to keep aware of...but aren't too much of a problem as long as they don't get out of hand...they get them for much the same reason we do. Both my boys got them but i just popped them and put pawpaw ointment or lavender oil on them - not sure if that was the right thing but it's what i've always done with my pups...lol

The bedding is fine to wash in the washing machine :laugh:

It's worth taking her to the vet for her first vet check - they can take down all her details and check her over...even most breeders will recommend you do that within a few days of gettting your pup home :rofl:

Now that you've shown a pic of her belly...you have to also show a pic of her pretty face :eek:

Here are a few more pictures:

DSC00342.jpg

Samantha surveying her new home!

DSC00373.jpg

Samantha taking a break

Some more pictures later. thank you very much for the replies so far. Should I re-apply the Advocate in 2 days time, seeing I put it on straight after her bath?

Thanks again.

Rob

When you wash her bedding, put a tablespoon or two of eucalyptus oil in the washing machine with them. Helps to kill the fleas, discourages them from reinhabiting, and makes everything smell nice!

This was suggested to me recently by a friend, since I've never lived in an area with fleas, and am having to learn before I get a pup!

And your girl is such a cutie! Looks like lots of lovely room for her to grow up running around!

Edited by Andanin

Aaawwww she's sooo cute!!

I'd not reapply the advocate - you don't want to od her on the stuff...lol...just keep an eye on her re the fleas. Aloveen is pretty gentle etc so it may still be fine. Just wash the rest of everything and go from there :laugh:

Wash the bedding in HOT water, cold water wont kill them.

Fleas cannot survive a trip through the vacuum either.

As everyone else said the Advocate will take a bit of time to work, but if you are really worried, buy some Capstar, they kill fleas within 20 minutes, and lasts for 24 hours.

What a gorgeous puppy!!!!

Those pimple things look exactly like the red rash my GSD had from constantly licjing her girly area and belly after she would go to the toilet...

The only time they finally went away was when I had her de-sexed and she had an elizabethan collar on for 10 days and she couldnt lick it anymore and it went away...

I also use aloveen and its great.

Cant wait to see more puppy pictures...