Badly Broken Nail - Quick Exposed

Beanie has broken her nail (on the equivalent of her little toe) while playing fetch in the garden. Most of the nail is gone and the quick is exposed. We've bathed it and cleaned it up with warm salty water and applied Betadine.

Poor little girl is licking it continuously and I'm sure it's very sore - like ripping you fingernail off. We have some Neocort - should we apply that?

Poor BEanie.

Bella's Kayla did that and had to have the nail removed.

Maybe get her checked by a vet just in case.

Just keep it as lean as possible and keep her from licking it till you check with the vet.

Hugs to Beanie.

:love: to you Benny

It'll be fine. Give it a good clean with Betadine and wrap some tape around it - actually stick the tape to the nail, elastoplast or something supersticky. It will heal and the nail will grow back

Edited by gareth

Poor baby - ouch :mad Superglue works well. I've never tried it but it has been recommended on my Bull Terrier List. In fact there was a post just recently, within the last week or two. Check through the previous posts.

Give your baby a hug :cry:

Thanks Flava, and a big hello back. Only got the internet connected in the new house a couple of days ago....almost a month without DOL :mad .

Beanie is asleep at the moment with Spud and their dad (OH), the three of them all curled up on the doggie beds in the lounge room. Not sure weather to wake the dad to go to bed or throw a blanket over the three of them :cry: .

If/when I wake them I'll bathe the foot again and wrap it with sticky plaster as Gareth says and if no improvement in her in the moring it's off to the vet. Not that I have a vet as we've just move in but there are about 20 of them in the local area.

Bella's Kayla did that and had to have the nail removed.

Maybe get her checked by a vet just in case.

Just keep it as lean as possible and keep her from licking it till you check with the vet.

Hugs to Beanie.

That's what the vet did when Sophie ripped half her nail off too. He removed the rest of the nail and bandaged her foot. He said there's a risk of infection with the quick exposed.

I think I'd bandage it and take her to the vet tomorrow. I wouldn't wrap it in sticking plaster it'll make it difficult and painful to remove the plaster.

My last Rottie used to do that on a regular basis... and it cost $325 per vet visit to remove the rest of the nail... errr!

Neocort is good stuff, but I'd be packing the foot with cotton wool and bandaging it to stop her licking at it. Put a child's sock over the bandage for good measure, then take her to the vet as soon as possible for assessment of the situation. If she gets an infection in there, it can end up very nasty!

T.

I wouldn't wrap it in sticking plaster it'll make it difficult and painful to remove the plaster.

Actually sticking plaster works well as it keeps it clean and allows it to heal. I have used it a couple of times with good effect. The trouble is finding one that is sticky enough to stay on. It is never a problem getting it off. Keeping it on can be a problem though. Quicks heal up very quickly and a new nail will soon grow through. I don't understand why the nail would need to be removed. That would just open up the area and make it more likely to get infected.

Edited by gareth

Nail quicks will harden and heal up very quickly. Just try to keep it clean for afew days and she will heal up no problems at all.

No need to go to the vet unless it gets infected.

I would clean it with warm sallty water only.

This happened to one of my dogs and she healed up without any probs at all.

Thanks Flava, and a big hello back. Only got the internet connected in the new house a couple of days ago....almost a month without DOL :hug: .

Beanie is asleep at the moment with Spud and their dad (OH), the three of them all curled up on the doggie beds in the lounge room. Not sure weather to wake the dad to go to bed or throw a blanket over the three of them :hug: .

If/when I wake them I'll bathe the foot again and wrap it with sticky plaster as Gareth says and if no improvement in her in the moring it's off to the vet. Not that I have a vet as we've just move in but there are about 20 of them in the local area.

Woohoo in your new gorgeous house already!!!

Cannot wait for photos.

Hope BEanie heals all by herself

Actually sticking plaster works well as it keeps it clean and allows it to heal. I have used it a couple of times with good effect. The trouble is finding one that is sticky enough to stay on. It is never a problem getting it off. Keeping it on can be a problem though. Quicks heal up very quickly and a new nail will soon grow through. I don't understand why the nail would need to be removed. That would just open up the area and make it more likely to get infected.

Not sure Gareth why the vet did it but he did.

Maybe due to infection or how high up it tore? :D

Bella had been bathing it but when she took Kayla to the vet he put her under to remove it.

Maybe some vets do. :hug: