Bones For Small Dog

Marley always loved munching on raw bones however since his stomach problems we can no longer give him chicken or beef, what other bones would be appropriate for him? He eats raw kangaroo and i was told to get him roo tail but so far the ones ive found look way to large for his silly mouth! What other types of bones would be ok for a sensitive stomach?

Lamb bones. I usally feed either flaps of ribs or the backs.

My pugs do fine with roo tails, usually cut in half or quaters as they are quite long.

How do you cut your roo tails??? I would love to give my guys roo tails but the ones I get for the ACD are waaaaayyy too big for them.

Edited by pomquest

Turkey. :cool: Turkey necks can be cut up into good size portions (though they're mostly bone). You can also get turkey wings and drumsticks.

Lamb shanks, necks and off cuts are good too.

Even you give a big bone meal one day, you can even it up by a smaller more meaty meal the next day (e.g. mince).

With roo tails, you do better if you find the joints..and cut there. Have a look at the end of the tail.. then look for a similar spinal 'tip' along the tail.. .. bend the tail.. see where the 'bend is.. cut thru the sinews, and then you can see the joint easier. It cuts quite easy when you are at the space between vertebrae.. just cartilage there :cool:

Edited by persephone

OhMarley, I was feeding Kyzer some Goat bones Ptolomy gave me, they were mainly ribs, a good size (he is small and will bury anything too large) and he loved them.

There is a supplier in Midvale (they also sell dried goat for treats), and I think they are available through South St Pet Supplies, but not certain on that.

Let me know if you want the contact details.

EFG

Edited by amypie