Release Command Gone Wrong

Last Im at a football field (actually about 3 of them joined togehter) doing some dog training.

Noone around. Divani off lead, we are practicing heeling. She is doing very well and Im happy. I break her few times and reward her with food. I normally after the session let her run around and do whatever she likes.

As Im finishing the excercise I click, say break give her the treat and say finished so she know she can just go and do whatever she likes. And the moment I say break/ finish I see with the corner of my eye a big brown fox with a huge fluffy tail run across the field!!!

Wellll..... so does Divani......... and I told her to break and finish! So off she goes and chases the fox.

I did yell HERE (idiot) and thought to myself what a waste of a command, she is in full drive chasing this fox becosue she thinks I let her.... and as she dissapears to the darkness beyond the lights and over the hill I think taht is a krap recall, need to work on that!! and - ok she is dead now (as I dont know what is beyond the football fields and behind that hill) I can order a new puppy tomorrow....

I smack myslef on the head, and she appears from the darkness runs straight to me and sits perfectly straight in front, really happy with her somewhat delayed recall.

Moral of the story - release commands are evil :party::laugh: ;)

We did another session and she has never been better motivated :drink: I need to get a fox tail as a reward :scold:

ehmmmm, no not really, she chased it and ignored my yell, and came back in her own time. It wasnt long before she appeared on the horison, but still....

I bet she will now be looking for that fox each and every time I go there... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr