Watery Vomit

Hi guys

My new puppy (Charlotte) was picked up from the airport on Thursday night.

Yesterday she had a C5 vaccination (vet said that she would be ok for the C5). She ate well and was going to the toilet, although her poo was a bit on the sloppy and smelly side, but I put that down to her getting used to new food.

Today she's been having watery vomit. She's done it about 4 times since 8am this morning. She hasn't eaten anything other than a liver treat, so of course now it's starting to turn her spews into a lovely browny colour.

I rang the vet a short while ago and asked if it was a normal reaction to a vaccination, and they said it's possible and to keep an eye on her and to bring her in if she doesn't improve.

I know puppies sleep a lot, but she looks a little lethargic and sleepy today.

Should I be worried?

Am I too worried at the moment?

Anything that might make her feel better that I can do myself?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have her to the vet- with a weekend & all- It could be anything- but a vet check,taking temp, feeling her tummy & checking stool could be a valuable tool ;)

The stress of travelling, the vaccination,all will be stressing her immune system- she is only little :rofl:

hope she is feeling better soon.

I agree, I'd have her at the vet immediately. If your 'gut' reaction is that something's not right, then it probably isn't. The vet can keep her under observation, take her temp, etc as persephone said.

Not to scare you but I have seen some really nasty reactions to vaccinations. I am lead to believe they are extremely rare, so don't worry too much, but if she's sick, a vet trip is in order. As you noted, there are so many reasons why she might be feeling out of sorts, so don't worry yet! They're so senstiive as bubbas!!

:rofl:

Good luck, let us know how you get along.

Ok, we have just come back from the vet.

She's had a needle to settle her tummy, and we've come home with an anti-biotic/anti inflammatory that she has to have twice daily.

She's also quite unsteady on her feet, a bit more sleepy than normal.

:rofl: Poor bubby. But if she's not eating by tomorrow, back to the vet we go.

Personally, I think that the vacc was given far too soon after the stress of flying, especially for a little one, which makes the likelihood of a reaction so much higher.

I'd be keeping her very quiet, and warm and just try and keep fluids up to her, and maybe tempt her with a small amount of mince or a bit of yoghurt if she'll have some.

The AB's & anti inflamms twice a day will probably upset her as well if she's not feeling the best.

She's just been to the toilet as is now having a little snooze in her crate.

Keeping her warm isn't a problem, its a beautiful day in Darwin!

What I bought home is a Metronidazol Benzoate syrup. She let me give it to her without a problem about half an hour ago.

She had a little drink when we got home from the vet.

Pegasus, I don't have any natural yogurt at home right now, but will a Vanilla flavoured one be ok? :rofl:

Better that it's a syrup and not tabs ;)

I've given puppies and adults flavoured yoghurt when I've run out of natural - they probably like it better :rofl: and it'll have sugar in it for some energy anyway.

Glad to hear she's had a little drink & been to the loo - a nice sleep should hopefully have her feeling a little better again!

Thanks pegasus.

I feel a bit better now! I was hoping I wasn't over reacting by taking her, but looks like it was definitely a good idea!

I'm thinking she will sleep all day if I let her, but I'll get her up again in about an hour for a loo break.

I'm thinking she will sleep all day if I let her, but I'll get her up again in about an hour for a loo break.

let her SLEEP! :rofl:

Sleep is the best thing for her body now---- she will awaken if she needs the toilet ;)Just be observant, and let her rest & heal...

I'm actually thinking about a nap too!

She did stir, so I took her for a drink (she had a big drink) and then outside, but she didn't need to go yet.

She's back sleeping in her crate now.

Yep, her having a good sleep benefits you too - you get some sleep at the same time :rofl:

pappylove, I'm so pleased you took her to the vet. Everybody's advice here is good solid advice, I agree that she should be allowed to sleep etc.

Did the vet say the injection should settle her stomach immediately? Or indicate if it might take some time to take effect?

I'm sorry she's been sick again :laugh: At this stage, I suggest keeping her fluids up as has been suggested before, and follow the vet's advice. If she doesn't eat tonight, whisk her off to the vet again tomorrow.

Good luck.

BTW - did you get your nap as well? :shhh:

I got a bit of a nap until my sister came home.

I'm scared that the more she drinks, the more she'll throw up, but I don't want her to dehydrate either.

I'm starting to wonder if perhaps she's eaten some poo, which is why it's all lovely and brown??

The injection..... I can't quite remember if the vet said it would work straight away, but she advised me to give her the syrup half an hour later, which I did. She needs to have 0.5 ml twice a day (for 2 or 3 days, till we run out).

The vet said she should probably eat tonight, she suggested some chicken and puppy milk. We don't have any puppy milk, so I will try her with yogurt.

I have some Bush's diced chicken so I'll give her some of that.

I've offered her some chicken and she doesn't want it.

She was in her crate, and started to cry. I pulled her out and she was dribbling wee.

I'm about to give her some more medicine and will try again with the chicken.

Ugh, an after hours trip to the vet looks extremely likely. :laugh: