Advocate.. Heart Worm Issues

justin

Hello members!

I am a new member here.. thought i'd join to share my knowlage on dogs aswell and learn a great deal..

anyway, this isn't an intro post :laugh:

I have a quick question on Heart worm prevention, and the use of Advocate

Now my vet recommended this for my GSD puppy...

I've applied two now, and he's broken the 15 kilo mark (ALREADY!!)

So i have to purchase the next weight catergory up.. and void the last remaining Advocate thingy..

Now Should I be heartworming him monthly?

Its been aroudn 2 - 3 weeks since his last dose of advocate.. Do I have to heart worm him or will a fleabath be satisfactory..

Thanks!

Welcome Justin!

Yes, monthly doses. According to weight. If there is one tube left, and the other two tubes have been applied over the past two months - personally I would use the last one. There can not have been a hugely significant weight gain in one month, so you should be fine, IMHO. Each tube does quite a big weight range. If they are older than 6 months, and you live in a mosquito area and they are active, don't miss a dose. (Mozzies transmit heartworm.)

Thanks for the snappy replies!

How old is he?

Yes he needs heartworm monthly, but he does not need to start before 6 months old.

hmm *takes this into account*

Zach is now 4 months old

I may aswell worm him for now though.. no harm done :laugh:

Thanks for the heads up though

Welcome Justin!

Yes, monthly doses. According to weight. If there is one tube left, and the other two tubes have been applied over the past two months - personally I would use the last one. There can not have been a hugely significant weight gain in one month, so you should be fine, IMHO. Each tube does quite a big weight range. If they are older than 6 months, and you live in a mosquito area and they are active, don't miss a dose. (Mozzies transmit heartworm.)

Good info! thanks for that!

I shall post up his weight gains over the course of the previous two months.. and then take it from there I guess.

I also recon this last dose will be satisfactory... Just wanted to be sure that it'll be a large enough dosage.

What size dog does the pack do? I would also use it as there is a huge range either side of the guestimate on the pack.

This also helps too!

I shall post that up tomorrow when i get time in the afternoon..

:D

How old is he?

Yes he needs heartworm monthly, but he does not need to start before 6 months old.

When I was nursing that's what I was taught too, but yesterday at my new vets he said 12 weeks or else they need the blood test :laugh:

Yes, Advocate does cover heartworm, and a myriad of other things too including earmites and sarcoptic mange.

Clyde - the 12 weeks is a new one on me. Any idea when that changed?? The cynic in me wonders where the 12 week data came from? Vets noticing an increase in heartworm in pups under 6mths old, or the drug companies wanting to make even more money out of us responsible dog loving people.......

Advocate comes in in 10-25kg packs (as well as other sizes :rofl:) so if this is what you are using and he is 15kg now you should be ok for his next dose. If he is due for his next dose in a week or so there should be no dramas :rofl: OR were you previously using the 4-10kg dose? If so, I would donate the remaining dose to a rescue group or friend and buy the bigger pack. You won't get the correct worming dose for the intestinal worms or have the monthly heartworm, ear mite etc protection if the dose is too small. My opinion of course... but you can always check with your vet or even ring the info line.

ps you know we need photos of Zach :D

Edited by kendall

Where I work we start heartworm treatment at 12weeks of age,this goes for proheart injection aswell as heartguard/other tablets.

QUOTE ....:- The trial results together with the published reference and arguments support a claim for heartworm prophylaxis for Proheart SR-12 Injection that includes first treatment of puppies at 3 months of age, followed by a second dose 6 months later then annual treatment thereafter.

qoute taken from Australian pesticides and veterinary medicines Authority