Beahvioural Changes After Desexing?

Hey guys.

I will be getting my boy desexed in the very near future, its time for him to have the chop :rolleyes: :eek: I'm wondering what behaviour changes I can expect to observe from my dog, who has always been a real "male", if you get what I mean.

Anyone with past experiences would be helpful.

My experience in this was only positive.

One of my previous dogs was desexed at 5 years old, after desexing the need to mark everything was reduced quite a bit, he became more puppy like and enjoyed playing with the other dogs etc. It was like a weight was lifted off his shoulders so I am all for it :rofl:

Mine was desexed at just over 2 and was a cronic humper of stuffed toys. He still humps, but not nearly as much. Doesn't seem to want to mark as much either.

BUT he seems to be less adventurous. He used to want to come for walks all the time; now he just sits and watches unless I actively call and encourage him. Before he used to go out in the back yard in and out of the house all day and into something; now he gets to the back step and sits and watches the world go by a bit. He still does zoomies tho, and still plays HARD with the other pap, but maybe just once a day, instead of every hour :p

It is a bit of a vicious circle as he has put on heaps of weight :rofl:

Personality wise he is still the same I guess; still wants to be top dog ( I have 3 dogs; the other 2 are whole males) still is a meme, still is a bit precious, lol.

I think if I can get some of the weight off, he may go back to his old activity level? Really that is the only difference on a whole.

edited to add that I have noticed him squatting a whole lot more too for some reason...but maybe fatty boombah just can't be bothered to lift the leg, lol

Edited by kymbo

Shouldn't change his personality at all.

Why do you say that? Almost all of the adult dogs and bitches I have known have changed personality after desexing. Some better, some worse.

You could always try the implant so that you can change your mind if he does change too much :) I know quite a few people doing that with adult dogs at the moment.

HI-

There will be no immediate change.

over the next few weeks/months, he may gradually stop marking , and other dogs may treat him differently, as he won't have the male scent, and/or his body language may be different.

If has been loud and pushy- this will probably lessen gradually as well.

His hormones have been telling him to do certain things- so anything he was doing which was hormone driven will ease off.

Those behaviours which have now become habits- enjoyable ones-ones which have a 'pay-off' will probably continue.

So, I would be expecting some change, but nothing dramatic.

Thanks everyone. I thought i would expect some sort of a change, now that hormones aren't driving him to do as many male things. I just didn't know how far 'habit' goes, with or without hormones. Guess i will see soon.

You could always try the implant so that you can change your mind if he does change too much :) I know quite a few people doing that with adult dogs at the moment.

And that aint gonna happen, Morgan :)

Edited by Gottalovealab

It won't change his personality but it may change, stop or reduce some hormone related behaviours.

If he's a nice friendly boy before being desexed, he'll be a nice friendly boy afterwards.