Buying Clippers

Hi all,

Im slightly *desperate* for some non biased advice on buying clippers suitable to slip heavy coated Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I clip all of my older cavs, and take them usually every three months to be done all over. Im fairly happy with the service I receive where I go at Dogues Ascot, however the price continues to rise and I find myself with an extra dog quite often! I have reached the point where I think I may be better off clipping them myself.

I have been to Pet Hypermarket and a few others to ask about Clippers but I get the general impression that they know little and just point to the most expensive.

Im not especially worried about the price as I figure they will be worth it in time, but I would really like advice from people who know and arnt trying to rip me off lol

Iv been told Osters are the best and that I need 2speed at least as im doing the entire dog. 1 Speed is just for points, faces, feet etc ???????? Also, what size blades would I need? What brand and model really would be the best for what I need?

Im really gratefull for any help or advice as I really dont have much idea (if any!)

Thanks again

Kyla

Nicestman77, a member of these forums has a wealth of experience in the grooming industry and would be able to assist with advice of various brands of clippers. We used to use Whals and purchased a set of Saxon's from him, which we were very pleased with. He also services clippers and sharpens blades. :)

Definitely do not buy Oster as they were a good product in the 60s and 70s but they have been overtaken by more modern and efficient designs.

The best value for money are the Wahl KM2 for under $200, or if you want a slightly more expensive set go for the Andis AGC Super 2. The Andis are slightly heavier but are super quiet and reliable.

I American Cockers, a Lowchen and Arabian horses - all of which need clipping.

I have a set of Osters, 2 sets of Wahls and have recently changed over to Lazor RX and Moser Arco cordless which are fabulous. Light, quiet and very very efficient. Would find it very difficult to go back to the heavy, noisy corded models now.

Had the Lazors for a few months now Jed and have no complaints whatsoever. They hold their charge for a long time, are light and quite quiet and are tough enough to get through the thickest hair. Really good bang for the buck!

OOOhhh Looks like I will have to get myself another set of clippers. I like the pink ones. They will go well with my Champaign KM2's. :thumbsup:

I like the Wahl KM2 too. They are comfortable to hold and use and they don't get hot with normal use. If the dog is very matted then I will have 2 sets on the go so they don't get hot. I found the Oster got hot fairly quickly making them uncomfortable to use. I only use them for back up now.

When I was mobile they got knocked around a bit, I am now on to my 4th set of KM2's.

I've got a cocker spaniel who has a pretty long coat and lots of feathering if he's left alone. I went to K-Mart and bought some Remington clippers intended for people for about $30. They work fine. All you have to do is use them like a hairdresser would when they lift the clippers to flick the hair away from the blade and that's that. Once you've done it a couple of times you'll just get used to doing it. And you'll save yourself a bucket load of cash.

Hi all,

Im slightly *desperate* for some non biased advice on buying clippers suitable to slip heavy coated Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I clip all of my older cavs, and take them usually every three months to be done all over. Im fairly happy with the service I receive where I go at Dogues Ascot, however the price continues to rise and I find myself with an extra dog quite often! I have reached the point where I think I may be better off clipping them myself.

I have been to Pet Hypermarket and a few others to ask about Clippers but I get the general impression that they know little and just point to the most expensive.

Im not especially worried about the price as I figure they will be worth it in time, but I would really like advice from people who know and arnt trying to rip me off lol

Iv been told Osters are the best and that I need 2speed at least as im doing the entire dog. 1 Speed is just for points, faces, feet etc ???????? Also, what size blades would I need? What brand and model really would be the best for what I need?

Im really gratefull for any help or advice as I really dont have much idea (if any!)

Thanks again

Kyla