Booked A Session With A Trainer

Ok, for once I'm not in here whining! :rofl:

I have bitten the bullet and booked a session with a trainer for next Monday!

I'm a bit apprehensive, the last trainer who I used wasnt much chop, but then she was recommended to me by someone who owned a petshop spoodle, so served me right I guess :laugh: .

This time I have a highly respected recommendation so I'm crossing fingers I will have a transformed dog soon.... ish.

Just wanted to let all of you who have helped me (put up with me) know.

I will keep you posted.

Dee :rofl:

Edited by deelee2

Not sure what your problems are - but grab a notebook - put a date up the top and then make a list of everything you want to work on, then after the lesson - write down everything you have learnt - because as sure as eggs you will forget some of it.

Good luck - I hope it is money well spent.

He will give me a program as part of his package- which I am very glad about. :laugh: But yep will be taking notes too.

Also have to make some notes of what to talk to him about, I know its very easy to get caught up and then later go "Oh damn I forgot to ask about that".

This time around I am very much more clued up, when Evie was a pup I had NOOOOO idea about anything, you will be suprised to hear- not!!! :rofl:

I am VERY interested to hear what he has to say, ie. what exactly it is I am doing wrong.

Yay Deelee!!! If it's who I think it is, you'll sort out those problems quick smart. :rofl:

I found one of your old threads last night - about how Evie bullies other dogs by pinning them and ignoring their submission signals - exactly the same as my girl. Our dogs sound like soul sisters there, lol.

I was luckier than you in that my circumstances made much it easier for me - a very supportive OH (counts for ALOT), no kidlets so a lot more time and energy to spare, plus having the car to drive to more remote walking spots when I was feeling unable to handle her around other dogs. But I have an inkling of what you've been going through, so I really appreciate your strength & persistance with Evie despite all the obstacles. Much respect & love to you.

I have a strong suspicion this'll be the turning point for you now - in a little while you'll look back at her behaviours and laugh, cos you'll have a beautifully mannered Evie. :rofl:

All the best of luck - and yeah, I concur with take a notebook.

Thanks Wobbly!

How did your training session with Steve go? Or rather how are you and Jarrah going now?

(I'm not going to him but the lovely Monelite has recommended me someone who sounds perfect and can come to me.)

I think there is a gang of naughty dogs like ours on here! It has given me heart to hear about them and realise it is not ALL me and obviously personality plays a big part too. I reckon that, after Evie, any other dog I may get will be a cinch to train- she will have taught me so much. (still wont get another staffy though :rofl: )

Yes you are right, having the support of your OH is a big help. It has made it a hell of a lot harder not having that back up.

Anyway- I'm hoping that soon we will have a transformation. This week has NOT been a good week, so crossing fingers next Monday will be the start of a happy new Evie and me.

Hi Deelee - our training session (me & Mr Wobbly being the trainees lol) went really well. All the things I've managed to put into effect have made a big difference - she's great at TOT so variations on are easy - eg to will teach her come to the OH when called - because she only comes to me ATM, but he needs the control too.

So far I haven't made much headway in getting her to SIT before she meets another dog. At the moment, she's totally dog obsessed and lunges to meet other dogs because she thinks it's her job to be the advance guard. I need her to learn to respect ME as the advance guard - I get to meet the other owner (other pack leader) before the subordinates (dogs) can meet calmly. She won't bully other dogs provided she's leashed, but she does lunge & try to jump on them - very rude. We have a method of approaching it but it's hard when other dogs are unleashed. Today I decided I would ask the other dog owners at the beach for help in how they manage their dogs when she see them to make it easy for me to take the first steps with her, they are all really nice, so I'm sure they'll be happy to help me - I've been hoping to see a fellow local DOLer I've met before to help, cos she's lovely and her dogs are beautifully polite.

We'll get there. :confused:

You will too - it's amazing the little things that are so commonsense, that work so well, and I've even read of some them here before but discounted them because I didn't understand the rationale

behind them.

Good luck!!!!

Wow Wobbly, Evie and Jarrah are soul sisters!!!

Evie is uncontrollable when we meet new dogs and their owners- today I made her sit and drop whilst a little swf came over, within a couple of feet she couldn't contain herself any more and was jumping all over both the guy and the dog trying to play- me vainly trying to hold her back. Its such a pain isn't it?

I'm hoping this trainer has some similar tips to Steve's and we can get past it.

BTW- I LOVE your new signature pics! What a beautiful goof she is!! :eek:

Well, had the appointment with the trainer. He was great! :)

But my brain hurts!!! :eat:

We have leadership issues- Evie challenging a bit, but can easily knock that on the head by being more firm (she needs it). And yes she is VERY excitable, prone to jumping on other people- I was given some tips on dealing with that too. All seems quite sensible.

But... Obedience? I thought we were doing ok- seems not. Oh god I so suck. :mad

But she isnt (nor me!) a lost cause, and I have good firm "voice tone" :) so I feel like we can move forward. Couple of months hopefully.

Well thats a bit of what I can remember- like I said my brain hurts so I just thought I'd pop in for a brief update, then go drink some wine and have a think :D ... will keep you all posted.

Dee

Edited by deelee2

:eat: We all suck when we start out! Did he explain NILIF to you? Sounds like pup is a great candidate for it, and it's absolutely invaluable for leadership :mad Sounds like you've got a nice long road ahead of you, but I'm positive things will turn out great for you both :) Good luck!!

Yay Deelee - I'm really glad it went well. :laugh: :D :p

Sounds like you've got some great new strategies for directing Evie's enthusiasm in positive ways. :laugh:

Remember too we're going through doggy adolescence - in a year or so the excitability should mellow a bit. I've noticed Jarrah's been getting calmer & more self controlled as the months pass - I think she's somewhere between 14-17 months now (guess from obedience trainers & vet when I got her ranged between 8-11 months, though the pound chipped her as 2yrs). People with Staffys, Amstaffys and Pit Bulls tell me that their dogs really calmed down between 2 & 3 years. With the behaviourist training + the aging, they'll be awesome doggys soon :eek:

Keep us posted :D