Leash Size

I'm looking at buying a good quality leather leash for my dog, one that won't snap, either 4ft or 6ft, but not sure which size. Is there any advantage/disadvantage on the length of the leash ? The dog is a Rottweiler, who pulls hard when walking. I would've thought the 4ft would give you more control, but i've been advised to go with the 6ft. Anyone have any thoughts on which would be better.

I personally use a 6FT leather for my gsd's.You could always go middle and get a 5ft which would probably be the shortest i'd go for a large dog

Why is that 4 Paws ? Why do you prefer the longer leash ?

RL01 ..... I use a 1.5 metre length lead. Allows for flexibility and opportunity to introduce 'distance' training. Also good for loose lead walking in that it provides some freedom for the dog to sniff about without needing to be under my feet. If I want shorter, I fold a loop in it.

RL01 ..... I use a 1.5 metre length lead. Allows for flexibility and opportunity to introduce 'distance' training. Also good for loose lead walking in that it provides some freedom for the dog to sniff about without needing to be under my feet. If I want shorter, I fold a loop in it.

Erny, what type of collar would you suggest ? I want something strong, that won't break under strain. .......... Thanks to everyone for the input, seems the longer leash is the way to go.

Erny, what type of collar would you suggest ? I want something strong, that won't break under strain. .......... Thanks to everyone for the input, seems the longer leash is the way to go.

RL01 .... not for me to suggest although from your previous posts in various threads, I have my ideas. The thing is, both your dog AND yourself should be assessed to determine the best collar - particularly considering the issue your dog has. You're seeing K9 Force ..... I would let him be the judge and advisor on this.

Also, in reference to your recent but previous post. No - NOT a retractable lead. Not only do I find these to be bulky in the hand and therefore cumbersome when it comes to proper lead handling, the whole concept of the retractable lead goes against what we train for ..... ie the loose lead.

I use a 1.5m lead for walking, 1.2 thin leather for obedience.

I was at an obedience club yesterday and the instructor picked on me for having this length leather lead, said I should be using 70cm cotton lead :) like made several comments. Not just preference but that I shouldn't be using a leather lead or such a long one - picked on me all class for every tiny thing :laugh: Not my usual club, have started at a different one til I am able to get to the other one again. He said 70cm was shortest permissible for trialling. Oh well, at least he didn't pick on me for using a check chain or spitting food I guess (though he did comment) :rofl:

I use a 1.5m lead for walking, 1.2 thin leather for obedience.

I was at an obedience club yesterday and the instructor picked on me for having this length leather lead, said I should be using 70cm cotton lead :rolleyes: like made several comments. Not just preference but that I shouldn't be using a leather lead or such a long one ...

Any explanation forthcoming from the instructor as to good reasoning for this opinion?

No reason other than why have any length longer than you have to :rolleyes: - I would have thought, as long as you are using appropriate equipment for your dog, the rest is personal choice and who cares? I guess he was promoting the equipment they sell at the club.

He also picked on someone choosing to do the right post first in a figure 8, when you are allowed to go around either post first in a trial :love:

I know they are a trialling club, which is what I want, and it is fine if they comment on things that would get you pinged in a trial, but the rest was unnecessary, especially when he starts off with "You have committed a cardinal sin" :eek:

Still deciding whether to go back there . . . I have had a different instructor each time so not sure if I would get this one again.