Afghan Ccd Title

Just wanted to say a public congratulations to my OH, Bear, and to Faxon, our Afghan Hound for getting their last pass in CCD yesterday at the ACT Companion Dog Club trial.

Bloody good effort I reckon, as Faxon is Bear's first trialling dog and starting with an Afghan is not the easiest road to take. I think they are the second Afghan Hound team to get a CCD in Australia, a QLD Aff titled in CCD earlier this year.

Anyway, just goes to show, you can train allegedly untrainable breeds if you approach it the right way!!

Anyway, just goes to show, you can train allegedly untrainable breeds if you approach it the right way!!

:) Congratulations!

Care to share what the "right way" is, as I am hoping to start trialling a deerhound x next year :rofl:

Guest rhapsodical78

Congratulations. I have a lot of respect and admiration for people who choose to take unconventional breeds and train them up. I met a shar pei doing agility the other day.

Faxon, I'd be interested to k now what techniques you used, if you're reading this.

Edited by rhapsodical78

Congratulations. I have a lot of respect and admiration for people who choose to take unconventional breeds and train them up. I met a shar pei doing agility the other day.

Faxon, I'd be interested to k now what techniques you used, if you're reading this.

Unfortunately Faxon's paws are too big to use the keyboard but he gave me approval to answer for him. :)

Lot's of patience, positive/motivational training, kept training sessions short - max 15 minutes, didn't work on the same exercise repeatedly, made training fun - tried a variety of ways to train exercises, made trialling fun for both of us, developed a sense of humour when it came to trials. Oh and not laughing at him when he played up for the judge or an audience!

In the last six months we did very little training except for a very quick run through of the exercises. Even then we didn't do a proper heeling pattern but just did different aspects of the heeling. eg. heeling in a straight line at the 3 paces or just doing right turns or just left turns, although I would always try to include a couple of figure 8s in a session.

HTH

Bear.

Guest rhapsodical78

Unfortunately Faxon's paws are too big to use the keyboard but he gave me approval to answer for him. :p

Lot's of patience, positive/motivational training, kept training sessions short - max 15 minutes, didn't work on the same exercise repeatedly, made training fun - tried a variety of ways to train exercises, made trialling fun for both of us, developed a sense of humour when it came to trials. Oh and not laughing at him when he played up for the judge or an audience!

In the last six months we did very little training except for a very quick run through of the exercises. Even then we didn't do a proper heeling pattern but just did different aspects of the heeling. eg. heeling in a straight line at the 3 paces or just doing right turns or just left turns, although I would always try to include a couple of figure 8s in a session.

HTH

Bear.

Very cool. Are you going to try for CD next?

:p Congratulations!

Care to share what the "right way" is, as I am hoping to start trialling a deerhound x next year :D

Good question! Different sighthound people will have different views, but I think overall they're usually a more demanding dog to train. You need to be very precise about what you're doing, they don't let you get away with the things that dogs who have been bred to cope with messier human cues do.

FaxonandBear mentioned keeping training sessions short, and that's important too. Most of them usually can't work effectively with a human for the lengths of time that say a GSD or a Border Collie can. This can be hard to manage in a 1 hour class, but the trick is to pick instructors that understand that some dogs in the class will need to take a regular quick play or crate break to refocus.

You also can't have any kind of ego about having the best and most obedient dog in the class/trial. A very well developed tolerance for public embarrassment is useful :p The thing is, you know that when you see your dog streaking after a rabbit or a lure like greased lightning that your dog excels at what it is bred for. Anything else, including obedience trialling, is just icing.

Huge congrats for getting your CCD title :p :eek: :p

Im yet to get there but have thrown us straight in the deep end, entering my Shar pei in her First trial at the Adelaide royal :laugh:

I love to see the more uncommon breeds compete in obedience & agility as it shows people that every breed can be trained with patience & persistance :D

Rhap- The Shar pei in melb competing in agility are owner by Julie a Pei breeder from melbourne! Thumbs up to her for doing great things for pei proving that our breed are capable of doing so well! :)

:D Congratulations!

Care to share what the "right way" is, as I am hoping to start trialling a deerhound x next year :p

You also can't have any kind of ego about having the best and most obedient dog in the class/trial. A very well developed tolerance for public embarrassment is useful :eek:

:p I was thinking about this yesterday when I was considering setting my "goals" if I trialled next year. This is what I came up with:

- keep my sense of humour, no matter what happens

- remember that I am doing this for FUN!!!

The last comment prompted by a fellow trainer who commented that obedience triallers are way too serious and don't ever seem to have any fun. Me, being me, am determined to prove them wrong.

Very cool. Are you going to try for CD next?

Yup. I had a few people ask me if Faxon was now retired. Nope we are going to see how we go in CD. Again I know he can do all of the exercises it is just a matter of getting him to want to do them on the day. And of course there is the additional challange of having a sighthound off lead. :love:

Bear.

:love: I was thinking about this yesterday when I was considering setting my "goals" if I trialled next year. This is what I came up with:

- keep my sense of humour, no matter what happens

- remember that I am doing this for FUN!!!

The last comment prompted by a fellow trainer who commented that obedience triallers are way too serious and don't ever seem to have any fun. Me, being me, am determined to prove them wrong.

In my experience these are the two most important attributes you can take into the ring.

There is nothing like looking down at your Afghan laying on his back waving his big fluffy feet in the air in the middle of a heeling pattern. My thought was "well at least he dropped." :)

Bear.

oooOOOO wow congrats - ive got my girl entered into her first CCD trial for the end of the month! :love:

cross your fingers for us - i have no idea how shell go in the ring but thought i should enter to find out!! she can do everything and is usually faurly attentive but i suspect that might go out the window when she has a audience! LOL

Just wanted to say a public congratulations to my OH, Bear, and to Faxon, our Afghan Hound for getting their last pass in CCD yesterday at the ACT Companion Dog Club trial.

Congratulations and well done to all! Great effort! ;)