Getting Started In Dog Sports

Yeah agility is more fun :)

Sometimes obedience is fun, other times it's like pulling teeth! I like some of the things I've accomplished with Diesel - flip finish, close front, able to find heel position from anywhere. When he's on the ball his heeling is great, last week was not one of those though :) It's the small things of trialling that frustrate me, as I have a hard time remembering my body language when training.

But certainly agility is generally more fun and a great adrenaline rush!

Excellent! Well it looks like we'll be going to Parramatta... In another 4 months... I've started doing some agility at home (tunnel and jumping over a broomstick!) - he loves it! I can't wait!!!

Don't overdo the jumping - even over a broomstick :) . At his age, this is your perfect opportunity to work on the foundation skills - shadow handling, circle work, and other on ground work - including start line stays - all that really basic stuff that some of us who've been in the game for a while didn't do, but now wish we had :) . Try to have a look at the Greg Derrett Agility Foundations video, and Clean Run mag articles if you can get them. I'm sure there's some other stuff on the net. Susan Garrett's Crate Games DVD has some good stuff too. And she has an article on the net about getting a dog interested in and playing with a motivator like a tug toy - great time to do that too.

It's all about building up a great relationship with your dog, and that will set you up for agility, obedience, dancing - whatever you decide to do. Plus it's fun. :)

Thanks for the heads up about Dog Agility Club of NSW.

Can anyone recommend another agility club that trains on weeknights around Sydney? So many clubs train on sundays during the middle of the day which firstly isn't the best cause I work sundays, but I also don't like the idea of training in the hottest part of the day in summer...

The Parramatta club that we were just discussing above is on Friday nights: http://picsi.org.au/agility.htm

Oh the broomstick jumping was something I did just for fun because I was sweeping the floor! The broom was flat on the ground, so he basically just had to step over it.

I have been doing a lot of other stuff with him that is more foundation work - back end awareness, "ready, set, go" he knows to run as fast as he can from a 'wait' and following my hand signals in terms of directions. So hopefully in the next 4 months we can build on that and it will make it easier for us. Most of my training with him is with the tug toy. He's not food motivated at all!!

Edited by TerraNik

Thanks for the info. I think I will look into Parramatta - I like how they are accepting titre tests now too.

Thanks Poocow, I didn't know that. I remember joining up for obedience in Feb and having some really hot days - wasn't fun!

Argh! I was all set to take Zero to obedience yesterday and just before we were going to get ready to go, it started raining heavily!

Oh well, i spoke to a friend about it and she's going to take her dog next week too and we can see what it's like. Both just need their basic obedience tested before we even think about training for trialling!

I was considering taking Jedi to Agility Dog Club NSW, but I don't know that I like the sound of it being really crowded! Are there any other Sydney options?

I train at castle hill, yes its crowded but once u get up out of beginners, it gets better, it just takes time. But I really love it and everyone there is really nice and willing to help you learn. BrushFarm in Eastwood does Obed on a sunday, its reasonably good as well, They are happy to take on any sort of dog well at least they did when I went there with snoopy. . and they train for comps as well. .

before this I went to parramatta and I really didn't like it as it wan't structured and on the first night we did a full sized A-frame which is a no no. . I just didn't like the way they taught, it may have changed since I went but I didn't think it was very good. .

Castle Hill is probably fine if your dogs are social butterflies - my agility dogs aren't :laugh: It probably would have been fine if I took Diesel who is more social and laid back.

Also, having been there with Zoe who is really dog aggro, and not having a positive experience, they remembered me, and well lets just say it wasn't overly friendly :laugh: Also I was really stressed with bad memories of my experience with Zoe, I'm sure that didn't help.

For now I am happier with places with small classes. I have been enjoying the odd class with Canine Fun Sports when I can get there :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Zero and i have our first training session on tonight at Castle Hill in obedience. I decided against going to hornsby after i heard that some of their training methods aren't the best with spitz breeds.

Hopefully he'll do well at castle hill, and will be able to get to a good level of training in time for him to start doing agility when he's lost the rest of the weight he has to lose.

• 1 month later...