Old Dog Lost House Training

JulesP

My old border collie girl has started to wee in the house. The dogs come in after dinner for the evening. She often wees after only being in for a short time. And they are big wees! She appears to be drinking more and I am currently monitoring that. Could obviously be a number of things, cushings, kidneys, diabetes, old age...

Has anyone one else had an old dog that started to wee in the house?

She is almost totally deaf and appears a bit 'dotty'. Is eating normally. Has problems with both back legs due to injury and has arthritis in the spine.

I'm not saying a word about the weeing but all the dogs get so upset when I am cleaning it up. ;)

It is all very distressing.

the border collie my aunt had when i was little started doing this when she got advanced arthritis. it is most likely just her age, and it is uncomfortable going outside now.

if your worried speak to a vet, but as i said, my opinion.... and i very seldom have been in this situation... is that it is probably the years catching up with her.

Does she know she's weeing? If it appears inadvertent there are effective medical options to treat it, this is how it was with my old girl and it was hormonal. If she knows she's doing it but doesn't make an effort to go outside, something may be astray with the signal mechanism that tells her she needs to go, until it's too late to get outside and she just has to - also medical. Or as GSDhandler suggests she may not want to go to the effort of getting up and out given her back and legs, which may mean retraining and rewarding going outside. I'd go with a vet check first though. It could also be related to dementia if she seems a bit dotty, there are drugs to help that but I don't know if they work well.

Edited by Diva

I hate going to the vet when they are old! Never know if they will be coming back with you or not. Last time I took her I ended up bawling my eyes out as I thought she was at the end of the line then. Yes I know you have to do it when you have got pets but it is so hard. This is my 'heart' dog too.

I think you will find its old age .

We sadly have to oldies here both deaf & partially blind who will make the best attempts to go outside but if distracted by another dog etc etc they get confused & will go .

We are tiled so it isnt the end of the world & old age comes with some issues :thumbsup: .

Most of our oldies have been great till there end but these two are very fragile & a tad senile which makes it harder

I took her up to the grass last night and tried to get her to wee. She just looked really confused. She then went within an hour of being in the house.

I don't think it is incontinence as she doesn't wee were she is sleeping, she does get up and goes into the kitchen to wee.

Has anyone one else had an old dog that started to wee in the house?

She is almost totally deaf and appears a bit 'dotty'. Is eating normally. Has problems with both back legs due to injury and has arthritis in the spine.

I'm not saying a word about the weeing but all the dogs get so upset when I am cleaning it up. :)

It is all very distressing.

Yes, combine the twin problems of old age....cognitive decline (dottiness or canine dementia) & physical decline....& the result is decline in behaviours. Such as loss of previous housetraining.

That decline is distressing for her....as the poor dogs, at this time, are in a state of confusion which they can't help & physical discomfort, too.

Have a straight-talking discussion with your vet.

Edited by mita

I took her up to the grass last night and tried to get her to wee. She just looked really confused. She then went within an hour of being in the house.

I don't think it is incontinence as she doesn't wee were she is sleeping, she does get up and goes into the kitchen to wee.

poor thing.... at least she can still get up. poor kym couldnt even do that eventually. had her pts when we realsied how unhappy she had gotten.

Last night she weed in the house within half an hour of being inside. But then stayed in the house for a further 5 hours without needing to go or other accidents. She makes no attempt to tell me she needs to go.