How Long To Recover?

Hi all

Ralfie my six year old desexed dobermann had to be rushed to the vet on Saturday morning after a night of vomiting.

They ended up doing some tests and rushed him in for an emergency op.

To make a long story short they ended up having to remove about 30 cms of his small intestine due to a blockage (a macadamia nut that he'd eaten at my parents place - still in the shell).

Anyways, he came home on Tuesday, has eaten a little but is very sleepy and has little dobe enthusiasm. He's going back to the vets for a checkup tomorrow.

I was wondering who out there of you has had dogs who had had major ops like this? Can you give me advice as to what I can do to help him eat and get his strength back?

How long did it take for them to "get back to normal?"

I know it has been a major op and if it was a person it would take a long time, but I was just curious on the dog side of things..

Thanks for the advice.

:laugh:

My boy had the same operation and it took a good few days for him to return to his normal tail wagging state, and then a good few months to grow back some hair on his tummy.

I tried to give him lots of quiet time to recover and in terms of food, i was told to just give him small meals of boiled chicken & rice.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery :laugh:

My HamiltonStovare had to have some of his intestine removed as well. He spent approximately a week in hospital. The vets wouldn't let him hoome until he would eat and he had to be fed tinned Hills dog food until he recovered which was about 2 weeks. It is a major operation and it takes awile for them to feel like eating. I personally would wither get some Hills from the vet, as much as I would never normally feed any of my dogs tinned food, or try him/her on some cooked chicken. They need something bland for a couple of weeks.

When hamlet had his sticks&stones removed, he was in hospital 4-5 days. he was not allowed home until he poo'ed.

Once home he was not allowed to jump on anything- had to sleep on the floor.. no exercise except toilet on lead.. for a couple of weeks

What did teh vet suggest feeding?

hamlet was on mince- and 'soupy stuff'... with a small amount of psyllium added later on.All food was in very small quantities, fed a few times a day for a week or so.

Is your boy on painkillers? maybe they are making him quieter?

Hope tomorrow's checkup goes well :)

Edited by persephone

Thanks all for your replies so far.

Ralf is on antibiotics but not painkillers.

We are trying to feed him half a tin of Eukanuba vet diets - intestinal formula (as advised by the vet) and I've been mixing it in with some raw chicken mince and egg. I may try to cook the mince today and see how that goes.

I hope tomorrow goes well too.

COmpletely different operation.

Louie had his right ear canal removed due to a dermoid sinus. He was only in hospital overnight but was on antibiotics for 6 weeks, pain killers for one week and we had 3 follow up appointments.

About the 5.5 week mark he got quite lethargic and twitchy, mostly due to repairing nerves. We are about 7 weeks after the operation now and he is more his normal self.

My dobe girl had a similar operation after part of her gut telescoped after she was poisoned. She was very sore and sorry for quite some time. But then she also managed to get an infection of some sort with a snotty nose etc and she was depressed as her buddy died from the poison. It was probably weeks before she was back to okay but still quite depressed. That improved a lot with a the arrival of a friend for her.

Earlier this year my 2 year old toller had to have emergency surgery after a cocas palm nut caused a blockage - why do these things always happen afer hours and on a weekend.

She was a bit quiet for a couple of days - but by day 5 was back to herself and it was a real effort keeping her from running around madly with the other kids until her stitches came out. By day 5 she was jumping on and off the bed :thanks:

HI all again,

Thanks for your replies.

For the past couple of days I've fed him some rice, chicken mince and chicken liver all cooked in the rice cooker. It seems to be a bit more palatable to him than the tinned stuff the vet gave me.

It is good to hear that there are people out there who have been through similar issues.

Thanks!