Yogurt

Hey everyone,

I just had a quick question about giving yogurt to dogs. I recall some people saying they'd stuff their dog's Kong toy with yogurt, freeze it, and then let it have it as a toy/treat.

What kinds of yogurt is okay? What brands do you use? I live in the USA, so I may not have all the brands you Aussies have. Anyone here in the States have suggestions?

Also, my dogs are a Chihuahua and a Chinese Crested. Not sure if that makes a difference. I don't think either of the breeds have yogurt allergies, though.

Thanks in advance.

Hi DK,

I use the most natural yoghurt I can find, with no added colours, favours sugars etc, but with lots of good bacteria for digestive health.

I do let him lick my empty flavoured yoghurt containers, but when feeding it to him as part of his diet, I always pick the natural ones!

I had a yoghurt question too. I hope the OP doesn't mind if I ask it here:

I was reading a thread about feeding and someone mentioned that they buy a tub of yoghurt and that lasts the month.

I was wondering if it goes off? I'm assuming not, but can someone let me know what they buy and how long it lasts?

Cheers

I use the natural easiyo home made yoghurt and the dogs love it. and it will last in the fridge for a couple of weeks easy.

I make my own too, they get the premium pro-biotic one and i get the cheaper one :)

One litre for $3, i can't complain about that!

I buy 5 kg natural yogurt for $12,( was $10) it lasts about 3-4 weeks. I mix about 3 heaped table spoons in with their food and I have a couple of spoons too each time I give it to the dogs and have never noticed it going off. I would throw it our before feeding it to them if I didn't think it was any good. Just check the date and make sure it has plenty of date before buying it.

I was making the Easiyo but since I found the 5 kg buckets I don't bother making it anymore unless it is flavored for us.

I had a yoghurt question too. I hope the OP doesn't mind if I ask it here:

I was reading a thread about feeding and someone mentioned that they buy a tub of yoghurt and that lasts the month.

I was wondering if it goes off? I'm assuming not, but can someone let me know what they buy and how long it lasts?

Cheers

I buy the Coles brand natural yoghurt and it seems to last for a few weeks at least.

I buy 5 kg natural yogurt for $12,( was $10) it lasts about 3-4 weeks. I mix about 3 heaped table spoons in with their food and I have a couple of spoons too each time I give it to the dogs and have never noticed it going off. I would throw it our before feeding it to them if I didn't think it was any good. Just check the date and make sure it has plenty of date before buying it.

I was making the Easiyo but since I found the 5 kg buckets I don't bother making it anymore unless it is flavored for us.

Can i ask where you get the 5kg buckets from as this is a great price.

Cheers

Thanks everyone! I haven't heard of any of those brands. I'm looking for natural stuff but my grocery store doesn't seem to have that. They do have a store brand kind that is unflavored and they do have vanilla (among others). I bought the unflavored one to try. Is unnatural more healthy, or is it the only safe kind? I'd kinda like to know before I feed it to them. If it's unsafe, I'll just eat it myself. :laugh:

My two get a small tub of yoghurt (frozen) every morning for breakfast. We live in the tropic so they love it.

They get Yoplait no sugar low fat in all the flavours variety packs. I have spoken to my vet about this and they said it was fine.

My old Sammy (RIP) had a flavoured yoghurt every single day 6 years with no problems.

:laugh: I am not too sure but I always thought that yoghurt should not be frozen because freezing it causes all the good bacteria to die? Can anyone confirm this? Thanks in advance.

I love greek yoghurt (natural plain full fat) and my dog gets it from time to time before his meals. He loves it and licks every bit of it.