Help With Training A Pup To Be Brushed

I've started brushing my now 11 week old pup every day (for less than 2 mins) and usually he's pretty good. However, last night he had a 'spack attack' when I was doing his back legs. (I had taken to holding him up under the belly.)

Should I have him up high to groom while he's young? Or is there another way?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Yes groom him on a table and be firm, if he throws a tanty just ignore it and keep going, he'll get used to it. I always groom my dogs on a table even when they're mature, it's very hard to groom a dog properly when it's on the ground.

ETA You can purchase a grooming table, but if you have a small dog the top of the washing machine covered by a towel or some other non-slip material will suffice.

Edited by Miranda

Yes groom him on a table and be firm, if he throws a tanty just ignore it and keep going, he'll get used to it. I always groom my dogs on a table even when they're mature, it's very hard to groom a dog properly when it's on the ground.

ETA You can purchase a grooming table, but if you have a small dog the top of the washing machine covered by a towel or some other non-slip material will suffice.

Sorry, one more question. Should I have him on or off the lead? (If off the lead, do I hold him by the collar?) Please excuse me if you think this is a 'blonde' question...just want to ensure I'm doing it properly.

Ok I had troubles too when I got my pup and I was told to kinda hold him from underneath - sounds a little weird but you put your hand between their hind legs and hold the tummy - no need to collar or lead then, cause you are kind of taking their hind leg use away from them if that makes sense?

Ps the person that explained it to me said it sooooo much better, but I hope you get the idea :cheer:

Sorry, one more question. Should I have him on or off the lead? (If off the lead, do I hold him by the collar?) Please excuse me if you think this is a 'blonde' question...just want to ensure I'm doing it properly.

If he's hard to control or you think he'll try to jump off the table then leave his collar on just in case, I wouldn't leave his lead on. Don't worry they soon get used to it, all mine will jump on the table and just stand there while I clip and groom them, if you start grooming them as babies they soon accept it as a normal part of life.

Yep ignore the taintys,Be firm but fair & dont over do the talk or over do the praise & making a bigger deal out of it than it needs too.

Just stick to very simple words especially "stand "stay" & your dog will be a joy.

Aslong as the brushes arent harsh your dog will happily be groomed.

I had similar problems with my pup until I got my grooming table. He just stands there now with a bit of movement, but it's manageable. If you give up now, it'll be just as hard later on, if not harder! It's frustrating but stick with it. As the others said just be firm. I also noticed a huge difference when I changed my brushes... I bought really good ones and he's much better now! I think the other brushes were irritating his skin.

Good luck!

good on you for starting now so that by the time he gets to the groomers he will be used to it and not freak out.

As the others say place the dog on a higher surface and always go to that place initially. This allows the dog to know that this is not play time and grooming will happen.

Stay calm yourself. Don`t rush things and never ever get cross. Perhaps try a softer brush on his hind legs. Were there matts there. Could it have been possible that his skin was being pulled? If so look at breaking down the matting before brushing. Be patiennt and you will end up with a dog that loves being groomed.

the one thing im consistent with when brushing is not to give in to their biting

i let them down on my terms - not because they have been biting me

i always start with a baby brush and just brush them lightly every night

I would also be teaching him to lay down to be brushed and dried. Makes it a lot easier to get to the underneath bits that are more difficult to reach when they're standing up and it also feels a lot more stable for the dog and is therefore less stressful and more enjoyable for you both.

Hi all. Thanks for all your replies. Henschke is a lot better now. Each night I take him to the same spot each time, clean one ear (he has floppy ears), give him a treat (and praise) then do his other ear (and repeat) and then finish with a light brush of his ears, feet, back and chest. It's just a quick brush and then a treat and praise.

Seems to be working well. :laugh: