Cocus Palm Trees

huski

We have a heap of cocus palms (assuming that is what they are??) in our back yard and at the moment they are dropping 100s of little orange fruits/seeds. The dogs are constantly eating the orange part and occassionally the seeds (as I have recently discovered). I've not noticed any bad reaction (have been eating them for months) but last night Daisy had diarrohea and it contained a couple of little seeds from the palm trees.

Are the little orange seeds the palm trees drop dangerous or poisonous for dogs? I assumed they weren't as all the dogs have been chewing them with no obvious reaction but after last night I'm now not so sure.

TIA :happydance:

Earlier this year one of those little orange balls, which I am sure the dogs think are lollies, cost me $1800 when Lexi got a bowel blockage requiring emergency after hours surgery on a weekend!

I know of a 9 month old puppy who died from a bowel blockage caused by a cocus palm nut, but as far as I know the seeds are not poisonous.

Hi, I would be chopping the trees down if you can, they are not natives so you don't need council permission. If that is not an option you can hire from Kennards a thingy that has an extendable handle and a blade (like a chain saw) and cut the seed bunch off. It was quite cheap to hire. Only a matter of time as they will give one of them a blokage at some point.

cheers

Thanks everyone. We have had some of the trees removed (had them both in the front and back yard) and it cost almost $1000 to get about four chopped down :happydance: We definitely plan to cut the rest down but unfortunately it is not an option in the short term. We even bought one of those hand held extended chopping tools and it wasn't strong enough to cut through the stalk... will find out about hiring a better one.

I didn't even think of blockages as I didn't realise the dogs were actually eating the seeds :thumbsup: I thought they had been chewing off the orange bits and leaving the rest (have found all the excess seeds lying around their beds!)

Huski i am having the same problem with my 2, they keep eating them as well :/ I plan on getting them removes ASAP but as u said its a money thing hehe!

mine havent seen to be having and problems but i do try and pick most of them up b4 i go to work.

Get rid of those seeds and don't let your dogs eat them. We had a young adult male with an intestinal blockage caused by one of the seeds. He went through hell and nearly died as the seeds do not show up on x-ray and diagnosis was very difficult.

Cost us over $800.00 around 6 years ago - even with the breeders discount from a helpful vet and it almost cost the dog his life.

We've now had every single Cocus Palm removed! :rofl:

Hi

We have a cocus palm tree too near the nature strip in front yard.

Our retired neighbours kindly removed the stalk with the seeds on it with a chain saw :laugh: we are lucky to have great neighbours !

The Akita's can't get to it at all but apparently the seeds entice rats and mice to your yard as well so we are so happy to be rid of the stalk the next to go is the tree its self one day soon when we have time.

Vermin bring diseases as well yukk.

Bowel blockages frighten the hell out of us and our sympathy goes to all that have suffered this horrible problem.

Kind Regards

Malisa

We had just one of the !@$# trees in our backyard, and Stevie was always rolling the fruit around in her mouth. The fruit also attracted bees and the branches were huge and fell from a great height when they finally fell. Our council is one of the few left in Sydney that needs approval to cut down a Cocos Palm but the guy didn't even come out and check, I filled in the form and also attached some stuff I found on Google re noxious weed, dangerous to flying-foxes etc. Also it was starting to lift a path that was also a stormwater flow path for about three houses down to a canal.

It didn't take long for the professional tree people to chop down. The expense is more in the stump-grinding and rubbish removal, they have to pay a fee at the tip to dump Cocos Palm.

Also the guy that climbed up was so well built professional, it was worth the money just to watch him at work!