Just Found A Lump On Her Tail

Hi all

I was just giving Phoebe a bit of a groom to try and get some of the mud etc of her legs. I was doing her tail when I noticed a lump about the size of a 5 cent coin in diameter- quite a firm ,solid lump.

Have her booked into the Vet tomorrow morning to have it checked.

Please keep paws and fingers crossed that it is nothing sinister. I could not bear to lose another Collie, especially Phoebe.

Let you know how we go

Love

Colleen

Edited by InspectorRex

I was just giving Phoebe a bit of a groom to try and get some of the mud etc of her legs. I was doing her tail when I noticed a lump about the size of a 5 cent coin in diameter- quite a firm ,solid lump

Hi Colleen

it is a worry but it may be nothing

my dog had a lump on his tail

hes only young

it went away by itself

he acquired it aftera walk

looked like something my dachsie had years ago

wasnt painful

it was firm

but not rock hard

took a couple of months to return to normal

Edited by percyk

Have just come back from the Vet

He said he believes the lump on Phoebe's tail is a sebaceous cyst. She is booked in for tomorrow to have it removed as the Vet explained that if left it could grow bigger( he said in his opinion it is quite big already) and cause more problems.

So I have to have Phoebe at the Vet tommorrow morning between 7.30-8am

So keep paws and fingers crossed that the lump is only a cyst.Poor Phoebe (:

Will keep you all posted

Love

Colleen

Oh your poor beautiful girl!

Fingers crossed. Try not to worry too much, chances are she'll bouce back out the car afterwards like nothing happened.

Our first collie use to get cysts too...heaven knows why but the vet just use to drain them off.

Hi I hope it all goes well for you.

My first Cav had a lump removed which was benign but then she chewed her bandages which caused them to swell cutting off the circulation. This then mnet she had to have her tail removed to the level of the surgery.:) Cavs look funny with no tail.

No problems after removal of tail wagged her whole back end instead.

Phoebe is home from the Vet after her surgery to have the rather large solid lump removed from her tail.

It was not a sebaceous cyst as our Vet first thought- it was an Apocrine Cyst( cyst from the sweat glands in the tail).Hopefully it will not re-occur but as the Vet said with this type of cyst it is a possibility as in the area it is in it is extremely difficult to be 100% sure all is removed as the margin for skin to cover the wound is minimal. At least it was not a tumour.

Colleen

Yes Dad and I are relieved.IHF- we are very glad :rofl:

At least the naughty lump was on the under side of her tail and our Vet only took off enough hair to make a sterile surgical site so if you did not know you would not know Phoebe had surgery on her glorious tail.

Just as well I did not enter her for the Royal though

I have had Phoebe to the Vet last night and she had a pain relief injection. She slept all night and then this morning had diarrhoea so started her on Peptosyl and boiled chicken and rice. By lunchtime she was walking around crying again so back to the Vet. Vet looked at the wound and said "Miss Phoebe, you have been licking this whilst Mum has not been in the room" so she put an Elizabethan Collar on Phoebe- bad move as Phoebe started to stress then and by 4.30pm I said to Dad maybe we can dry bandage it with gauze and put Vetwrap on it.

I rang the Vet and took her back ( took my own Vetwrap and Gauze) and they have done the bandaging and started her on Clavulox and I have to take her back on Friday.

My poor baby, the cyst was in such an awkward spot, on the under side of the tail up near the bum but if we did not have it removed it would have gotten even bigger and burst and it could have turned septic.

I just want to sit and cuddle her all day as I feel awful for having to put her through this. am I a bad Mother?

You're a fantastic mother! You found the lump, had it taken care of and as you said, if it had not been taken off it could have burst and become septic - how would you (and she) feel then?

Try not to worry too much - I know it's hard!

Poor girl, but it's better gone she just doesn't know that. You're taking wonderful care of the beautiful girl so just hang in there. Did she give the vet that look? Mine always do..."Licking? Me? What are you suggesting" :laugh: She'll be just fine don't worry.