Overweight!

Tatsu

My 'not so' little dog Nate has got pancreatitis from being overweight; :love:

I Knew he was a little 'too loved' but i didn't realise that his weight was quite so bad! i suppose its just me being naive.

Anyway, i've heard so many times about all these recipes for putting weight ON dogs; but now i need the best thing to get weight OFF.

At the moment he's fasting for 48 hours and isn't allowed outside as when he goes out all he does is eats grass and then vomits.

he's not flat at all. he's still happy and he's hungry but if i feed him he will just vomit.

so after 48 hrs i'll feed him some boiled chicken and if he vomits again he'll have to go on a drip.

So if anyone has any ideas or recipes for me, i will greatly appreciate t.

Hi Tatsu,

the best "diet" is to exercise him because if you simply reduce the calorie intake the metabolism will slow down and the diet is not very successfull. :love:

If you prepare the food for him (other then buying industrial food) I would stick to lean meat (for high quality protein) and veggies (not many fruits due to the high sugar content). To prevent him from being to hungry all the time, you can add more "fillers" (like potatoes, pumpkin or brown rice). I would also add some rosmary to the each meal, since it is good for activating the metabolism and reducing weight.

I wouldnt' fast him too much but one day a week is usually fine if he getz more exercise on that day (to prevent the metabolism to slow down). Most dogs cope with the fasting but if he keeps vomiting maybe it's no good for him. If he eats a lot of grass, than you can add some to his normal food. It can be a sign that something is missing in his diet.

If you reduce the amount of food it is very important to feed good quality food (I prefer selfmade, raw food with fresh meat, veggies and herbs) to make sure he gets all nutritiens he needs.

Thanks Anissa.

I do certainly paln on doing more exercise with him as my hubby and i have both just started a health kick ourselves. Now i guess it's a whole family health kick!

I've only got him fasting because it's the vets orders... but i'm not entirely sure i like it...

I'll be giving him the boiled chicken to start with just so it's as plain as possible, with some brown rice. as long as he keeps it down and we know he's feeling a bit better; i'll get some lean fresh meat. Is mince fine? or should i get like, fillets of beef and cut them up?

Helena: what do you describe as an attack? i'm just asking as i'm not entirely sure i'm happy with the vets diagnosis. he wasn't our usual vet and he didn't really 'do much' when we took him in... Can you please descrbe for me the symtoms of an attack?

Regardless, he does need to lose weight so it's worth doing this whether its pancreatitis or not.

Helena: what do you describe as an attack? i'm just asking as i'm not entirely sure i'm happy with the vets diagnosis. he wasn't our usual vet and he didn't really 'do much' when we took him in... Can you please descrbe for me the symtoms of an attack?

Might be different to what your dog has, but when Mum's poodle had a pancreatitis attack, he would throw-up yellow liquid (bile) and be in LOTS of pain (bad writhing/whimpering). It was just awful to watch. His must have been genetic or something, as it started when he was about 9mo and he was always quite thin. Mum successfully managed his pancreatitis by feeding him mainly on cooked chicken breast, veg and rice and "vegetarian" dog biscuits (Dog Ovals I think they were called). He wasn't allowed to have hardly any fat in his diet.

We have a breed highly prone to pancreatitis & also had a dog suffer an attack .

When the dog has an attack it is shocking they are in bad pain,bring up bile,vomit & very flat.This can be a killer & many dogs do die .

It is generally created by a very poor diet or sneaking the wrong stuff.

The worse situation for these attacks are BBQ when guests sneak the dog the fatty bits & after doing the rounds of many guests some simply cannot deal with the fat overload.

It is very easy to reduce the weight.Dogs get fat because there over feed & people sneaking treats they shouldnt have.

If it does have pan then you do need a diet low in fat & bland & no treats(schmackos,pig ears all these things help course issues when given too much)

well, Nate had a small small small meal of just raw chicken pet mince tonight. and he loved it!

He's being monitored closely atm and hopefully if i can get some weight off him we won't have to have another episode again, I felt so sorry for the poor (not so) little bugger...

I've Pm'd you Dr Ian Billinghust's Pancreatitis Diet.

Oh, would you please be able to PM that to me too, i have a friend at work with a dog with pancreaus problems, and she feeds BARF.

thank you ;)

Done :rolleyes: