Is It Ok For Pup To Play With Large Dogs?

poochmad

I have a 10kg Field Spaniel and my nephew has an adult Bullmastiff and friends have two adult Great Danes. We were planning on having two separate playing sessions - lasting the day (with the Bullmastiff) and a weekend with the Great Danes.

However, I was wondering whether this is an ok thing to do considering he's still growing and we have been warned about his pasterns and legs (we were told to be careful with him going up and down stairs, jumping off things, over exercising and watching his pasterns 'collapsing'). Am I being over-cautious or should we hold off allowing such large dogs to play with him until his bones are stronger?

Any advice is appreciated.

I would not do it. All it takes is one accidental 'move' by one of the larger dogs and your pup could be damaged. Not worth it.

My friends had a Polish sighthound puppy (5 months old) and a adult CAO (about 60kg dog)

they played and the CAO fell on the puppy and broke its neck. Puppy was instantly dead.

I didnt let my puppy dobe play a lot with my older dobe untill she was somewhat bigger (about 20kg and older one being 36kg). Thay had contact all the time but only under my strick supervision.

Having said that on Saturday my dobe bitch played with a staffy puppy that is about 12 weeks old.

Shee was extremly gentle and the play consisted on puppy licking her face, her doing a play bow to the puppy than running away and puppy chasing her.

If she was going to wrestle I would have stopped her immiediatelly.

Thanks for your responses. I was concerned that I was just being over protective and thought that I would see what you experienced DOLers thought!

The Bullmastiff is a lovely boy, but oh so huge...I think it would be terrible if something should happen...

I think I will hold off from having these play sessions and allow Henschke to mix with smaller dogs...

Thanks for your responses. I was concerned that I was just being over protective and thought that I would see what you experienced DOLers thought!

The Bullmastiff is a lovely boy, but oh so huge...I think it would be terrible if something should happen...

I think I will hold off from having these play sessions and allow Henschke to mix with smaller dogs...

sounds like a good idea :D

If these dogs are trained very well & act with manners then interaction in short spells on lead cant hurt.

If these dogs have no clue in boundries then i would be very cautious.

My large breeds are taught to lay down to say hello to little dogs as we have big & small at home & they are taught whats acceptable/safe behaviour .

My 42 kg boy interacts with pups at 8 weeks that would weigh approx 2-3 kg but he has been educated .

Most Bullmastiffs i have had dealings with are very laidback BUT only you now what these dogs are capable off manners wise.

I personally wouldnt do 2 danes in one go though.

I wouldnt allow play seesions but if there well behaved dogs & there on leads & they have meet & greets there would be no issues there.

If these dogs are trained very well & act with manners then interaction in short spells on lead cant hurt.

If these dogs have no clue in boundries then i would be very cautious.

My large breeds are taught to lay down to say hello to little dogs as we have big & small at home & they are taught whats acceptable/safe behaviour .

My 42 kg boy interacts with pups at 8 weeks that would weigh approx 2-3 kg but he has been educated .

Most Bullmastiffs i have had dealings with are very laidback BUT only you now what these dogs are capable off manners wise.

I personally wouldnt do 2 danes in one go though.

I wouldnt allow play seesions but if there well behaved dogs & there on leads & they have meet & greets there would be no issues there.

The original plan was to allow the dogs to 'run free' in our pokey yard with the Bullmastiff and run around in a large yard with the Great Danes.

Personally, I'm glad that most people have said 'don't do it' as I was a bit nervous about the whole thing...but just wanted to make sure I wasn't being over protective (can't help but do that).

Agree with the meet and greet on leads - I would have felt more comfortable about that - but considering the dogs would be at each other's houses...this was not going to happen.

I have boxers and cavaliers - the boxers need supervision when they are young around the cavaliers - so easy for them to run into a little dog and break it's leg.....or it's neck. Once they are aware they don't play rough with cavaliers, or run over them, we have free interaction....but never with cav. pups. The boxers have only the best intentions .... but.....

On lead, and supervised for you boy and the big ones - one at a time - should be fine