Best Camera For Dog Photography

Lemonlime

The D100 was a great camera in its field, nice and small, lightweight, but seriously, the 400m lens felt like it was going to pull the face out of the camera :) They dont make 100's anymore, not sure what took over, i think the 200. :hug:

Yes the D3 is a whopper for a littly like me :D

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yup, glass = lenses.

Always buy the best glass you can afford (and this isn't *always* main brand glass, either), imho ... it can make far more difference to your images than the actual body.

The D90 is looking like a little gem...but the D80 isn't a slouch either.

I have several buds who have the D200 and have decided not to upgrade just yet, they're waiting for the next round from Nik, so I don't think you can go wrong with it either.

Basically, all the major players have put out bodies that will far exceed most people's ability to get the maximum out of them. When you run into something your body CAN'T do or that you feel is really limiting you, THEN is the time to upgrade (unless you have limitless cash laying around, of course!)

The D300 is a great camera. The new D3 is Nikon's best hands down for handling high ISO work but it's pretty pricey.

From the reviews i've read so far the D700 ups the ISO ante, and it's cheaper than the D3 :) . I'm seriously considering getting one, though my only concern is i have DX lenses and the D700 is full frame.

I borrow the D3 at work sometimes and yes, it's like carrying a bag of bricks! An ex-colleague just got the D700 so i'm going to see if i can borrow it for a play around sometime :confused:

Wow, lots of new toys - congrats everyone!!

You're going to love playing :)

Luke, you'll need to sell a lot of kids at $100 a pop to recoup from that lens LOL

Not half as many as the amount of children I am going to have to sell to pay for my new I-mac when the credit card bill comes in. The new cameras file sizes were killing my old laptop so I have taken the plunge and mac'ed up. As an aside the dogs will now be living on old socks for food as I have no money left.

Hmmmmm the Canon 50D is coming out??? I still haven;t gotten around to swapping back to Canon from Nikon - and I never use my Nikon because I find it to clunky and heavy. Horses for courses I supose. I'll be interested the review of the 50D although I think i might be better just going a lower model and getting some good quality lenses

Not half as many as the amount of children I am going to have to sell to pay for my new I-mac when the credit card bill comes in. The new cameras file sizes were killing my old laptop so I have taken the plunge and mac'ed up. As an aside the dogs will now be living on old socks for food as I have no money left.

Goose! You get more money for having them!!! :laugh: :cool:

My Nikon D200 arrived today. It is far better structure for my lens. But LOL no taking the easy ride and slapping my setting to sports mode when things just get to hard. :laugh: I really dont understand shutter speed and how to set it properly or were to set it yet, it's so different to my D40. So off to read/study manual. I wish it just came with a little lepricorn that showed me what to do. Had a quick play and I must be able to get these sharper. Any quick advice most welcome.

DSC_0040SM.jpg

DSC_0066SM.jpg

You're shooting at ISO1250 and shutter 1/100 :laugh: You actually slowed down for the second shot (to 1/90)! Freezing action needs a fast shutter.

Raise your shutter so it's faster to freeze action (1/800, 1/500 etc)

Reduce your ISO - you really only need to raise this when you are shooting in lower light conditions and need the extra ISO to keep your shutter and/or aperture where you want it.

In these conditions you have heaps of wriggle room and should be able to drop that ISO way way down.

If you make your aperture smaller - it's at f5 now - you will gain a bit of depth of field so when the kittie and doggies aren't on the same focal plane you still have a shot of getting both sets of eyes in focus. Experiment with f8, f14 etc - just fiddle to see what effect you like the best. One word of caution, as you stop down, your background becomes more in focus, too...

Thanks Kja. I will have a play, I need to do some proper reading on aperture and shutter speed to understand it in my head better. What do you set your camera on most of the time S or A or M? I know P is being a tad lazy and not going to get the benefit of the camera.

Calvin is a funny cat, him and Ralph are best mates.

It can be overwhelming, but the nice thing is that it's so easy to just play!

I shoot M almost 100% of the time. There are rare times I might choose Av (aperture priority on Canon) or Tv (shutter priority on Canon), but I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I did it. After a bit you'll get good at eye-balling a scene for a starting point and then chimping from there to get exactly what you want or to give yourself some options.

I have also been known to put it on P - not the green box - now and again when I am just shooting random outdoor stuff that has no lighting issues. But usually it's just as easy for me to whap the settings in and shoot from there.

What KJA said :(

using P is ok for genreal things, but when you know you are capturing movement, you really need to choose the settings yoursef. To absolutely smash that cat, you would be safe to use 1/800 or above. Use your light meter to give you guidance then on your app settings. (this is on m mode) I find auto focus a pita for capturing a shot like your cat shot unless you have a shit hot lens.

Can you see how your first shot is slightly grainy? Thats the higer ISO doing that. Just check your settings arent on AUTO ISO in your menu.

Edited by rugerfly

What KJA said :love:

using P is ok for genreal things, but when you know you are capturing movement, you really need to choose the settings yoursef. To absolutely smash that cat, you would be safe to use 1/800 or above. Use your light meter to give you guidance then on your app settings. (this is on m mode) I find auto focus a pita for capturing a shot like your cat shot unless you have a shit hot lens.

Can you see how your first shot is slightly grainy? Thats the higer ISO doing that. Just check your settings arent on AUTO ISO in your menu.

Thanks guys I played around tonight and still not capturing great action shots. But got some nice stills. I wonder what that grain was, thanks ruderfly. :( I dont mind the effect on some pic's but not on every single one. It was on ISO Auto. Oops. I have been using A & S more as at-least the camera can figure half of it out to give me a clue. I will practice more with M and the metering.

I think I have a top end lens?? AF-S 24-70 F/2.8, and it auto focuses fast. But god knows what I am doing wrong with action shots.

Your right Roc, using auto does give you an idea of what settings it will choose for you for light, but sometimes not speed :(

your lens sounds fine, make sure you shoot where the animal ends up in your frame, dont move the camera around too much unless you are panning.

keep posting some up, I love your guys :p.

Poke the cat to make it run :love: Um that model should also have a continuous button, not sure if it has CH or CL or both. smash off a few rounds each time, that way one will be your sharpest.

Im still trying to get all this right too Roc :(

I think I might be moving my camera around to much. I will do the point were the subject is ending up. I also think I need a 70-200 lens or something. Calvin is not great to learn on as he is fast and white..... so easy to miss and over expose. :( Yep my model has both CH and CL. This camera is so much more heavy then my D40 so I have to do small spurts of learning. Those D3 are even bigger aren't they? :(