Best Camera For Dog Photography

Lemonlime

I am upgrading to a DSLR and would love to see photos and opinions on the best cameras for dog photography. That is action shots etc

My price range is $1,000-$1,500

I am looking at a Nikon D90 (which comes out in October and a little out of my price range), D80, Canon 450D...

I know that the D90 is the newest in the Nikon range, but I really dont know the difference between cameras.

I am hoping to see photographs so that I can compare. I am also looking for a camera that takes relatively good shots without me having to buy lots of different lenses to get what I want. I really have no idea where to start, this is all very new to me :confused:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMO opinion it just comes down to personal preference. Some people like McDonalds, some prefer Hungry Jacks :confused:

I've always owned Canons so that's what I'd recommend. A Nikon owner will more than likely say the opposite :nahnah:

The lens you get will be what makes the difference. Do you know what lenses come with the different cameras?

IMO opinion it just comes down to personal preference. Some people like McDonalds, some prefer Hungry Jacks :confused:

I've always owned Canons so that's what I'd recommend. A Nikon owner will more than likely say the opposite :nahnah:

The lens you get will be what makes the difference. Do you know what lenses come with the different cameras?

I gotcha Ruthless :laugh: No idea about lenses!

In that case, can anyone recommend the best Canon and Nikon cameras within my price range and give me some photo examples?

Photo examples won't mean much.....if I have a mid range camera and a 10k lens....well you get the picture :confused:

Any of the entry level DSLRs (like the Canon 400-450d and equivalent Nikons) will do you fine, just make sure you get a long lens for those nice far away shots.

When it comes down to it, the lens is far more important considering how 'even' most of these cameras are...

Pretty much any of the Nikon or Canon offerings will be more than suitable for your needs and each brand has at least one body in your price range.

I'd probably spend a little less on a body and a little more on some fast glass. It's really the lenses that are going to make a difference so spending a little bit more should give you greater capabilities.

If you are going to shoot in lower light, you want to start saving up for lenses that are f2.8 or faster.

As you are shooting dogs, you're going to want to head to some review sites for their take on how fast the auto focus is on various lenses (and to some extent, bodies - though most you are looking at are pretty good). www.fredmiranda.com has very good reviews on a huge array of lenses.

Also have a look at some of the recent threads here as a couple of people have been looking for pretty much the same things and there's lots of great information.

Photo examples won't mean much.....if I have a mid range camera and a 10k lens....well you get the picture :confused:

Any of the entry level DSLRs (like the Canon 400-450d and equivalent Nikons) will do you fine, just make sure you get a long lens for those nice far away shots.

When it comes down to it, the lens is far more important considering how 'even' most of these cameras are...

Thanks very much Tess :nahnah:

I am leaning towards a Nikon because I have 2 friends with D70s...still not sure.

For those who have Nikons and Canons, which do you find easier to use?

Pretty much any of the Nikon or Canon offerings will be more than suitable for your needs and each brand has at least one body in your price range.

I'd probably spend a little less on a body and a little more on some fast glass. It's really the lenses that are going to make a difference so spending a little bit more should give you greater capabilities.

If you are going to shoot in lower light, you want to start saving up for lenses that are f2.8 or faster.

As you are shooting dogs, you're going to want to head to some review sites for their take on how fast the auto focus is on various lenses (and to some extent, bodies - though most you are looking at are pretty good). www.fredmiranda.com has very good reviews on a huge array of lenses.

Also have a look at some of the recent threads here as a couple of people have been looking for pretty much the same things and there's lots of great information.

Thanks Kja, is a "body" the camera as it is without the fancy lenses? :confused: :nahnah: :laugh:

Yes the body only is as stated with NO lenses. This allows you the chance to then get what lenses you need.

Have the Canon 400D. Here are some action shots taken with a 100-400mm.

Am starting to dabble with Photography but so far have chickened out on manual operation, (silly when its digital and you can delete unwanted images :confused: ) these are on Auto.

A great book which has been mentioned in other threads is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson which must sit and swot :nahnah:

post-8234-1220338472_thumb.jpg

post-8234-1220338486_thumb.jpg

post-8234-1220338497_thumb.jpg

I have a Nikon D80 which I got imported and save '000s compared to high street prices.

I also have a 18-55 and 55-200 VR Lens, saving up for a 400mm non-VR lens to get the really long distance shots.

All in, I spent around $1400 on the 3 items, which have gone down in price now, and would still cost you over $2000 in a high street...

There are some photos on the Photos Photos Photos pages that we took over the weekend, but aren't as good quality due to compression on here, PM me and I'll send you some of the "real pictures"

Wow you guys are awsome!! Thanks to everyone for the PMs and help. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the D80 or EOS 450D. I think the D90 is a bit out of my range.

I looked on Teds Cameras for an example of prices and you can buy bodys or kits...I have no idea how good the lenses are that come in the kits, probably nothing special.

There is a Camera Warehouse near me who sell the Nikon D90 with lens for $1,489

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod5414.htm

Any camera buffs be able to tell me if this is a good deal or not?

A basic lens is fine for me to start on, as I will be learning how to use the camera and can upgrade the lens later, but I also dont want a sh*t lens...what do you think of the lens it comes with?

As usual go to a camera shop and try the verious different models and see which one you feel best holding. If a camera is too big and heavy you wil have problems holding it.

Then shop around the various reptuble camera sites - due to warranties best to shop in Australia - once you know which one you like. You can also try to get quotes and go back to the local camera shop and see if they will match what you have found (you save the postage and have camera instantly). Harvey Norman is one in particular that loves to barter and do deals if it means a sale.

As usual go to a camera shop and try the verious different models and see which one you feel best holding. If a camera is too big and heavy you wil have problems holding it.

Then shop around the various reptuble camera sites - due to warranties best to shop in Australia - once you know which one you like. You can also try to get quotes and go back to the local camera shop and see if they will match what you have found (you save the postage and have camera instantly). Harvey Norman is one in particular that loves to barter and do deals if it means a sale.

Thanks for the tip, I will certainly do that. I am getting the camera duty free (parents are travelling) which is why they are cheaper at the camera warehouse.

I was also tossing up between the Nikon and Canon. The Nikon to me felt like a more solid unit, but i would imagine they'd both take fab pics. In the end, my brother was selling his D80 so i got it for a reasonable price with 2 lenses.. the kit lens and the 55-200VR (which is what i'm using most of the time). I'm just learning and most of my pics have been taken on either sports mode or auto, but it takes an amazing photo. If you PM me your email address i'm more than happy to send through originals too.

Thanks for the tip, I will certainly do that. I am getting the camera duty free (parents are travelling) which is why they are cheaper at the camera warehouse.

I can't believe this post is up as I am going through the exact same decision myself. I have ended up going for the canon EOS 450D with the enthusiast lens kit. Everybody I know that is a photo busff told me that any body $1000+ will be good as long as it is comfortable it is the lens that makes the differance. The enthusiast kit is supposed to $1999 but dig camera warehousr do it for just over $1600 with a 3 year canon warranty which you won't get if you import or buy a grey import.

I can't believe this post is up as I am going through the exact same decision myself. I have ended up going for the canon EOS 450D with the enthusiast lens kit. Everybody I know that is a photo busff told me that any body $1000+ will be good as long as it is comfortable it is the lens that makes the differance. The enthusiast kit is supposed to $1999 but dig camera warehousr do it for just over $1600 with a 3 year canon warranty which you won't get if you import or buy a grey import.

Goldielover, will PM you now.

Luke, I am really leaning towards a Nikon...also from the digi camera warehouse in Melbourne!! Their prices are fantastic

Goldielover, will PM you now.

Luke, I am really leaning towards a Nikon...also from the digi camera warehouse in Melbourne!! Their prices are fantastic

As I said it's all down to personal taste. My first digital camera was a Nikon but, my brother in law has a canon and is a camera nut with about 7 very expensive lenses that he has offered to lend me if I need something out of the norm, so it made more sense for me to go for the canon this time. Just focus (if you can pardon the pun) on getting the best lens you can afford, you will not be dosapointed. If you have to, go down a model in the camera body to spend the extra on a better lens. Is the advice I got from everyone I asked. :laugh:

I agree about the not being able to decide from seeing photos from different cameras. I have the best Nikon has to offer and my picturs are nothing compared to some of the guys here :laugh:

Rugerfly,

Which Nikon did you buy? Which lens do you find you use the most?

Hi Luke. I have a Nikon D3, a range of lenseseses, The one I use the most is the 80-400 AF-VR NiKKOR. I love it. um...most of the stuff I do is at a distance, hopefully :laugh: but when Im playing with it, Use it on the dogs in the field or at shows. I have been mucking around with a little 50mm 1:14 D but the other one I like is simply anothe zoomy 35-135mm 1:3.5-4.5 Its an older lens, but you can get a lot out of it.