Best Camera For Dog Photography

Lemonlime

I got my camera from e-infotech for a lot less than Teds / Harvey Norman / Cemera Warehouse and then got 2 VR lenses from Discount Digital Photography for a lot less than the high street.

The setback - waiting 2 days for delivery.

As to warranty, if you get an issue with your HN/Teds etc. camera, they send it to Nikon in Sydney, if I get an issue with my Nikon camera I got online, even though it came from Taiwan, it goes back to Sydney. At the end of the day, all the cameras are made in the same factory, and if they need repairs, they all go to the same repair shop.

Plus, with cameras, issues manifest in the first few weeks, and are then covered under the shop warranty, rather than Nikons.

I thought long and hard over it, but then spending $700 for the camera, compared to $1200 in a high street for the same product made my mind up for me!

As to the kit lenses, becareful as the kit lenses are often the non-VR lenses which sell for around $100 compared to the VR lenses which sell for nearly $300.... so whilst you have a camera and 2 lenses for $1500, if you bought them seperately as I did, you get the camera and 2 VR lenses for less :laugh:

I agree though, go to a camera shop and try each in your hand... the Nikon D80 felt the more robust, comfortable and easiest to use when in my hand.... try all the buttons, flicking the menu switches, adjusting the shutter speed, focus point (all 11 of them!) and other settings.

I also tend to just have the 55-200 lens on the camera, with the 18-55 only coming out for the real close up shots... although I am looking at getting a Macro Lens and a 300 or 400 lens for the long distance... saving up for a 2.8 so it is a quick as can be.

I used to use the Auto and Sports mode, but due to some training (and night classes beginging in October) I know pretty much use the Manual, A and P settings. They are though very good for getting some excellent shots and usually you get a selection to choose from, but now I use the A and P mode on burst shots and continous focus, I tend to take about 100 to 200 shots, of which I'll keep about 20, ahh the digital age.

We've posted a few of the more recent ones under this section with Aubrey at the dog park as the title :( Not the best quality on here, but gives you and idea.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a Camera Warehouse near me who sell the Nikon D90 with lens for $1,489 .... a good deal or not? ...

That's a good price, Teds and the like are guessing about $1500 body only, $1800 with the kit lens. That is an okay lens too, and there is no point at all spending $1000 extra for a lens til you know a bit more of what you wish to do and can get picky about what is exactly right for you.

Be sure of availability though before you order: as far as I've been able to find out, the D90 isn't in stores yet, won't be available til late October. Supply could be limited (as always) at first, so people are already on waiting lists at Teds and Michaels knowing it is about six weeks away. Let's know if you find out different.

Hi Luke. I have a Nikon D3, a range of lenseseses, The one I use the most is the 80-400 AF-VR NiKKOR. I love it. um...most of the stuff I do is at a distance, hopefully :thumbsup: but when Im playing with it, Use it on the dogs in the field or at shows. I have been mucking around with a little 50mm 1:14 D but the other one I like is simply anothe zoomy 35-135mm 1:3.5-4.5 Its an older lens, but you can get a lot out of it.

Noice! :laugh:

Well I have just been to pick mine up and took some peoples advice and tried holding the cameras to see if there was a big dfference and OMG it was night and day. I am so glad that I did it the 450D which is what I was going to get was seriously uncomfortable due to its relative compact body and with my massive meat hook hands that was never gonna work. I ended up with the EOS40D which is a bit bigger (Comfy) and is a full Magnesium body (durable but a bit heavier) and I have to say, I AM IN LUVVVVVV :o:o

I ended up with the EOS40D which is a bit bigger (Comfy) and is a full Magnesium body (durable but a bit heavier) and I have to say, I AM IN LUVVVVVV :thumbsup::o

I love the feel of my 40Ds, too, and I not only have very small hands, but they are weak, too, thanks to a weird twist of genetic fate (as are my wrists). So you don't have to be super strong for this body to feel comfy. I don't find the 450D etc too small, though. I don't think I could comfortably hold a Mark series Canon or the bigger Niks and even the 5D is too much for long periods.

Getting to fondle your choices is a definite bonus if you can - I've never had that luxury and just took a punt LOL

Well I have decided to get the Nikon D90...sooo hoping it comes out soon because my Fujifilm camera broke this week :laugh: ;) :love:

I have contacted a few places who said I would be guaranteed one if I place a deposit which is good.

:thumbsup: That's a disaster when you have puppes and I want to see puppy pics!! lol

When is the Nikon due for release?

Piper - I know!! The poopers are growing so fast and I have no photos :thumbsup:

I could settle for the D80 and get it now...just would have preferred to have gone all out for the D90

D90 is apparently due this month some time but there could be delays

...D90 is apparently due this month some time but there could be delays

Teds said don't hold our breath til mid or late October - though they are sometimes the last to know. I just saw on a USA photog forum they've been told it's not off the assembly line yet, and mid November is more realistic. They usually get access before Australia does (but not always). So it is still gossip and hearsay, no solid availability known. I can wait.

If you put a deposit down, maybe they could lend you a good point and shoot in the meantime for pup shots, worth asking.

rugieflowers.jpg

:rofl:

Great pic Rugerfly, Here is one that I took of Monte today, I have to say that I lov,luv,luv my new camera and lens. Still early days so pics aren't tops but that's ok it's all a learning experience

IMG_0339.jpg

I know this is :laugh: but I have a Sony VAIO that is about 7-8 years old and it is struggling with the file size etc from my new 40D. I think it is time for a new computer. I have photoshop for PC but have been considering going to an imac? the downer is that I would have to buy a new photoshop $$$ :cheer: unless the apple software was :) cool? Any advice or opinions?

Edited by Luke GSP

Piper - I know!! The poopers are growing so fast and I have no photos :laugh:

I could settle for the D80 and get it now...just would have preferred to have gone all out for the D90

D90 is apparently due this month some time but there could be delays

Counting sheep,

You are more than welcome to borrow my old Nikon 995 in the meantime if you like? I could send it to my companies Melbourne office for you so you could have it by Tues/wed probably?Saying that I could probably send it direct if it's easier?

Luke

DAwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Glad you are having fun with the new camera, Luke. I can recommend a litle HP Laptop, they are brilliant. You can keep windows too. This one is so adorable, its a 14 inch screen and lightweight. Its from the HP Pavilion Entertainment series.

yes fly feels left out too :laugh:

flypurdy.jpg