Obedience Trainers In Perth - Close To Bassendean?

marica

Hello,

I have a (just turned) two year old pointer who I have tried a bit of everything with - showing, agility classes and obedience classes. Obedience has definitely been the most fun, and for a while we were attending classes twice a week. While I really enjoyed these classes, I've since moved north of the river and CAWA/Gosnells are just too far away for regular classes.

I know there are a few obedience clubs close to me (I'm living in Bassendean) however I can't attend classes on the nights they are on due to family committments. I'd also eventually like to trial, and from previous experience when I had horses, I'm guessing that private lessons will get me there a lot quicker than group classes.

Can anyone recommend a trainer NOR who gives private lessons? They need to be someone who will be tolerant of a pointer (who is wonderful, but not a border collie) and not too scary (that's for me - I welcome constructive criticism but don't deal well with being yelled at).

Thanks!

Snap Marcia! I was just going to post almost the exact same thing. CAWA is just that bit too far to travel during the week after work and our local obedience club is really disorganized and I'm just not happy with them at all.

I'll have to try tracking down Sue Hogben....

Sue H is awesome :laugh: . Ptolomy is heading back to Perth today after having had a very successful weekend trialling at the Adelaide Royal (along with another WA person who was equally successful). Sue H runs a boarding kennels so you can probably track down contact details that way.

Sue was sounding perfect until you mentioned she was out near CAWA! :laugh:

StaceyB - do you mind letting me know what club you are unhappy with? (you can PM me if you'd prefer). How funny that we're looking for the same thing, hopefully someone will be able to help us both :shrug:

Sue was sounding perfect until you mentioned she was out near CAWA! :confused:

StaceyB - do you mind letting me know what club you are unhappy with? (you can PM me if you'd prefer). How funny that we're looking for the same thing, hopefully someone will be able to help us both :p

I've sent you a PM.

I found a website for Kathy McLeod, she does private home training sessions. I did a DOL search for her and a few members have recommended her so I've sent her an email and I'll see what she comes back with.

Are you anywhere near Northern Suburbs????? I don't know my Perth geography but they have a strong trialling club.

ETA I know you didn't want a club but maybe they can put you in touch with somebody who might help. I have just looked at Kathy's website and not sure she would be one if you wanted trialling help rather than basic dog training. You would certainly be wise to get lessons from the likes of Sue if you are after trialling assistance.

Edited by ness

You wouldn't need private lessons every week - maybe once a month to begin with - so really having to travel 30 minutes shouldn't be a consideration if you want value for money.

Sue H is in Canning Vale - about 3km from K9. There is also Gina O'Keefe who lives in Leederville, but does train at Carine. Kathy used to trial many years ago with her Sibe, and is a great behaviouralist - but for me, I would walk over hot coals (and do often :thumbsup: ) to have a lesson with either Gina or Sue.

Not sure if you have contacted Perth Training and Midland to see what nights their training is on - you might have to ring K9 for the contacts.

Good Luck!

• 3 months later...

Reviving an old thread, hope that's ok!

Does Sue often give private lessons to people who aren't trialling yet (but looking to) and how much does she cost? I live right near Canning Vale and would love to invest in some good private lessons if people think she can work wonders :(