What Could Cause It - Me Not The Dogs

To ensure he actually eats, I feed Tirra a mixture of canned food and raw. However, I regularly (just had one now) have sneezing, streaming eyes and coughing fits which develop into difficulty in breathing. In fact, the episode I just had was so bad, I was thinking if I sneeze one more time, I really won't be able to breathe.

What on earth could be in the food to bring on something like that?

ETA: Tirra is 16 and there is no point in trying to feed him BARF. He would starve to death ... truly!

Edited by _Cynthia_

Sounds like an acute allergy to me.........

I have acute allergic alveolitis....which in other words is a really bad allergy to birds. But other things can cause it. I get severe cold like symptoms, severe headaches etc within as little as 10 minutes of close contact. Long term my lungs packed it in.....but thats another story for another time.

Edited by Rysup

Cynthia, i agree with Rysup about allergies. That's what it sounds like too me as well. Last Friday i bought a 7kg bag of Orijen for my girl, feed her as normal and when i woke up on Saturday morning i wasn't feeling well. It seemed as soon as i got anywhere close to my girl, my tongue would swell up etc. At first i couldn't work out what it was, but i've finally worked out that the Tonic Herbs and Botanicals in the food was coming out of her pores and my system was reacting badly.

It now looks like i'll be getting rid of the Orijen and going back onto Super Coat as i didn't have this adverse reaction.

Maybe your system is reacting to a preservative in the canned food. Have you tried using a different brand?

Edited by AML

I'm not allergic to anything, but i know my dog is.

If you want something colour, flavour and preservative free (Zero's allergic to certain types of all three) then I would suggest trying natures gift or pedigree naturals (make sure it is the naturals though - normal pedigree is worse than the naturals and has in the past contained colours, flavours and preservatives). I would recommend trying natures gift first. Zero prefers the naturals (when he's been sick and the vet has suggested it, he has had tinned food) and gets a funny look on his face after eating natures gift (it can be quite dry if you leave it in the fridge overnight).

Actually sounds like asthma. I do get asthma from allergies. You can buy ventalin over the the counter now. if I go near something that effects my breathing the first sign is usually my throat feels like it has something stuck in it.