Heart Murmur

Kyra

Maybe the vet missed the murmur? I have no idea. I have mine checked very well pre-purchase. I suppose, depending on the age of the pup, and the type of murmur, it may not have presented at vet check at 8 weeks.

I have bred 2 with murmurs. I gave one to someone in my family - he is 6 now, and quite hale and hearty. I gave the other one away too, and she is fine at 5. My other option would be pts. I wont sell them, even with a guarantee, and as a buyer, I would not knowingly buy a pup with a murmur, too much grief. As a breeder, I am not prepared to sell a pup which is not as perfect as I can get it, so anything with a murmur does not fit that criteria, and is not suitable for sale.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanting to send you HUGS. I really hope Brodie will be fine.

I must admit, I was surprised that the breeder didn't offer a full refund. Many years ago my partner and I purchased a pure bred dog only to discover he had major health issues. The breeder offered to give us another puppy or a full refund - we loved our boy so opted for a full refund which went a very small way to cover his medical expenses.

Oh thank you everyone for the kind words :eek:

The ultrasound showed that he does not have anything wrong with the heart itself, something makes his heart beat go uncomfortably fast which is causing the murmur. The vet said his heart beat was up to 300 beats p/m which is far too high.

The next step is another test - ECG if I remember rightly to see what is making his heart beat so fast. We have to wait yet another week for this as apparently there are only a few of these machines around now, as they are hardly used. Our vet is trying to locate one and get it to the clinic for us.

In a way I'm very relieved it's not the heart itself, but I'm still worried as to what could be making his heart beat so abnormal, he's not allowed any activities that could make him hyper, he just has to relax around the house until we find out what's going on in there.

Thanks again for all the good wishes for Brodie :(

Yes.. it was a very similar thing, reason why we're so worried & stressed at the moment.

We got up in the middle of the night to find him passed away in the bathroom.. so suddenly, the vet said his heart packed in. That's all we got from it.. :(

Peibe why the no comment about the breeder? is that because she sold a pup with an illness or the refund part? :laugh: this is the first registered breeder I've ever been through so i thought that was quite fair :laugh: feel free to pm me instead..

Here are two photos of the little rat bag. I can't believe how attached I am to him already and vice versa. I love him in his little army t-shirt :(

5eeb60.jpg

29fyp3o.jpg

I had something similar to this.My heart rate was up to 250 beats. It was called Supraventricular tachycardia and it meant that I had an extra pathway to the heart and was causing electrical impulses. I know it may not be that same in a dog :love:

I was on medication for a long time and then had an ablation when they used a catheter to"blast" away the pathway.

I've never had any trouble since and that was 11 years ago :(

Hope all goes well with your little one...he is very cute

Thank you for that cavsrcute.. it makes a lot of sense. That is what the vet was telling us, that something else was causing the problems here, not the heart itself so an extra passage way or another organ were a few things he mentioned.

Thanks for sharing that :(