Do Dogs Get Colds?

Aubrey

Hi Guys

My 6 month old MS has been sneezing a lot over the past 2 days (Quite a lot last night in bed) This morning she is very quite and off her food :laugh: Is it possible that she could have a cold? It could also be allergies...but she is not scratching at all...she is usually really hyper in the morning and she is now just sitting in a corner watching me :cool:

Do u think I should take her to the vet or am I overeacting?

Thanks

Kellie

Hi Guys

Sorry for the dealyed response I didn't have access to a computer for the rest of the weekend.

I ended up ringing the vet and asking for some advice - I was told if the sneezing continued throughout the day then to bring her in in the afternoon. Well she stopped sneezing about half-way through the morning and went out with me to tennis in the afternoon - he mood picked up dramatically and she had a great time. She was really tired when we got home and slept for most of the evening. There were a few small sneezes but nothing more.

Yesterday I only noticed 2 sneezes and I was with her all day - it happened after she had been out playing in the grass so I think she may have a slight allergy.

She is still being quiter than usual but I think it is due to my OH being away at the moment...I think she is a little depressed as I have caught her looking for him. This is the first time she has been without him....I wish I could tell her that he'll be back soon!

P.S Puggy_Puggy there was no snot detected - just the sneezing. I'll keep a close eye on her over the next few days and if the sneezing continues we'll be off to the vet.

It might also be the weather.

My lot have been sneezing too that last week or so. Especially since it is so windy here. It is stirring up dust and leaves!

If it is whens she has been outside in the grass - it could be she is developing allergies or it could even just be that particular grass.

Keep an eye on her and best to go to the vet if it continues.

Edited by Ci

Glad to hear things improved and that there is no snot or coughing.

I am rubbing my eyes at the moment because of all the pollon and dust in the air so it oculd well be that she just has an allergy.

You could try some antihistamine tablets if she starts again after playing in the grass. I use the human claratyne tablet with the pugs.

I'm suffering badly and the moment with allergies too Puggy :thumbsup: My eyes are really irritated and I have a streaming nose - not pretty lol

Ohh I didn't know that dogs could have antihistamine tabs - do you think they would be okay for a 6 month old Miniature Schnauzer? After a play outside this morning she was also chewing at her feet, I think this is a sign of allergies too?

I would try half a tablet a day of the claratyne. I give my grown pug, aprox 9.2kg, a whole tablet.

Some people find they have to try a few different anthitamines on their dog to get one that works for them but I have found claratyne to be quite sucessfull on a number of dogs I have given it to.

This is a good link in relation to antihistamines.

http://www.ingleburnvet.com.au/antihistamines.htm