Mats!

Kissindra

First find out why he is itching.

already done, he's slightly alergic to the enzime washing detergent I had bought to clean up...er "presents" left on the tiles. And yes we've been to the vet as when I first got it and was using it frequently he was quite an itchy boy and we didn't make the connection straight away. Haven't used it since and he's had no other itchy episodes until OH helpfully cleaned up a "present" and forgot not to use it.

Edited by Kissindra

Just keep brushing but you can use scissors & splice the knots.Not chop out.

Gently tease out as much of the matts by hand & find the bulk & with scissors splice the bad parts in the direction of the coat,do alittle & brush /pull apart & continue till out

Gently tease out as much of the matts by hand & find the bulk & with scissors splice the bad parts in the direction of the coat,do alittle & brush /pull apart & continue till out

:( Ta, will give it a go. Will probably need OH's help as Boo has decided he is not the biggest fan of grooming but I am loath to chop them out.

Edited by Kissindra

Personally if he is just a pet and not a show dog, I would just give his trousers a nice haircut. By the time he has the itching thing out of his system, it will have grown back.

It just never grows back the same though, and while he's not a show dog I prefer to keep his coat as natural as possible - clipped cavs just look wrong to me :(

It just never grows back the same though, and while he's not a show dog I prefer to keep his coat as natural as possible - clipped cavs just look wrong to me :(

You will simply have to teach him to accept grooming then, or eventually accept the bare bum look.

Spray the matts with conditioner spray, then work them out with your fingers or slice through them from the base out to divide them up then comb them out.

It just never grows back the same though, and while he's not a show dog I prefer to keep his coat as natural as possible - clipped cavs just look wrong to me :rolleyes:

You will simply have to teach him to accept grooming then, or eventually accept the bare bum look.

Spray the matts with conditioner spray, then work them out with your fingers or slice through them from the base out to divide them up then comb them out.

oddly he used to quite enjoy it, but recently as I mentioned has been wanting to bugger off rather than be brushed. I think to a certain extent I pandered to it (by just doing short sessions at a time, letting him run off and the going back again later in the day to do more)and this has meant he's continued to not want to keep still but I toughened up this round and, low and behold - he figured out it wasn't on and all but went to bloody sleep while I got the few mats out then gave him his usual overall brush :o

Conditioning spray is a good suggestion - will keep that in mind for the future (although I rather hope we get no more itchies!)

Edited by Kissindra

:rolleyes: Ta, will give it a go. Will probably need OH's help as Boo has decided he is not the biggest fan of grooming but I am loath to chop them out.

did the trick! Was SO much easier to work them out once spliced :o We are mat free again thank goodness!